Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] What Is Clear Airway on Sleepyhead Data
What Is Clear Airway on Sleepyhead Data
I can't find this info on the site. Can someone tell me what Clear Airway events are on Sleepyhead? It lists the Central Apneas, the Obstructive Apneas, and the Clear Airway events on the statistics, but I don't know what Clear Airway means. What was taking Place? Thanks!
The FUTURE is worth preparing for!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What Is Clear Airway on Sleepyhead Data
Central Apneas. I think it means your airway is clear, but you've stopped breathing for over 10 seconds.

Usually happens to me before I fall asleep and after I wake up but leave the machine on. I just ignore those.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-23-2013, 02:53 PM)mdh235 Wrote: Central Apneas. I think it means your airway is clear, but you've stopped breathing for over 10 seconds.

Usually happens to me before I fall asleep and after I wake up but leave the machine on. I just ignore those.

Central apnea means you aren't trying to breathe. Generally, it's detected by a "chest effort belt" that sees your chest is trying to move.

The CPAP machine can't see this, so some of them send pulses of pressure down the hose and tries to tell if your airway is open. If you're not breathing and your airway is open, it assumes you are having a central apnea, but calls it a "clear airway" apnea.

Sometimes, you will be having a central apnea, but will also have a closed airway. The machine will call this an obstructive apnea, even though an in-lab sleep test would say "central."

Also, it's a bit tricky to tell whether the airway is open from the other end of the hose.

In general, I assume if it says "Clear Airway," it is a true central apnea. I assume that sometimes the machine may miss some centrals and classify them as "obstructive," but it's probably fairly accurate.

BTW, many older machine do not distinguish central from obstructive. Detecting central/clear airway is a newer feature. The data capable Philips Respironics PRS1 and ResMed S9 machines seem to do a pretty good job.

Healthy people may show centrals or obstructive "apneas" while still awake or between sleep and wakefulness. These aren't meaningful unless they're really bad or frequent.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-24-2013, 02:21 AM)archangle Wrote:
(09-23-2013, 02:53 PM)mdh235 Wrote: Central Apneas. I think it means your airway is clear, but you've stopped breathing for over 10 seconds.

Central apnea means you aren't trying to breathe. Generally, it's detected by a "chest effort belt" that sees your chest is trying to move.

The CPAP machine can't see this, so some of them send pulses of pressure down the hose and tries to tell if your airway is open. If you're not breathing and your airway is open, it assumes you are having a central apnea, but calls it a "clear airway" apnea.

Sometimes, you will be having a central apnea, but will also have a closed airway. The machine will call this an obstructive apnea, even though an in-lab sleep test would say "central."

Also, it's a bit tricky to tell whether the airway is open from the other end of the hose.

In general, I assume if it says "Clear Airway," it is a true central apnea. I assume that sometimes the machine may miss some centrals and classify them as "obstructive," but it's probably fairly accurate.

BTW, many older machine do not distinguish central from obstructive. Detecting central/clear airway is a newer feature. The data capable Philips Respironics PRS1 and ResMed S9 machines seem to do a pretty good job.

Healthy people may show centrals or obstructive "apneas" while still awake or between sleep and wakefulness. These aren't meaningful unless they're really bad or frequent.

Thanks much! It helps!
The FUTURE is worth preparing for!
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-23-2013, 08:53 AM)Smitharbie Wrote: Can someone tell me what Clear Airway events are on Sleepyhead? It lists the Central Apneas, the Obstructive Apneas, and the Clear Airway events on the statistics,

It does!? I see only CA (clear airway, or sometimes also called central apneas) and OA.

OA means your airway is obstructed during an apnea, CA means your airway is not obstructed during an apnea.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-26-2013, 09:52 PM)Sleepster Wrote: It does!? I see only CA (clear airway, or sometimes also called central apneas) and OA.

OA means your airway is obstructed during an apnea, CA means your airway is not obstructed during an apnea.

Does your SH statistics report look like this attachment?

[attachment=492]
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes. I don't see the separate Central Apneas and Clear Airway apnea events mentioned by the OP.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-26-2013, 10:43 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Yes. I don't see the separate Central Apneas and Clear Airway apnea events mentioned by the OP.

[attachment=493]

I posted one of mine that shows where I had clear airway apneas (just above the round circle). Maybe I am not understanding what you are saying so if not, sorry.

I haven't had time to review what all the charts, etc. mean in either SH or rescan but hope to get to that soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
What I'm saying is that SH does not report two separate types of apneas, one called clear airway and the other called central apnea.

It reports the OA index, the CA index, and the hypopnea index. The AHI is the sum of these three indices.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2013, 10:09 AM)Sleepster Wrote: What I'm saying is that SH does not report two separate types of apneas, one called clear airway and the other called central apnea.

It reports the OA index, the CA index, and the hypopnea index. The AHI is the sum of these three indices.

I guess I have a lot to learn still regarding the software. When I looked at my stats, it showed .70 hypopnea; .94 obstructive; .47 clear airway; .0 apnea.

Anyway, have a great day or great sleep if it is that time for you. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 204 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
Question [CPAP] Clear Airway/Central AI? mattymast 3 178 03-30-2024, 09:43 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,550 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 196 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 174 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  Clear airway Bullabill 3 273 03-12-2024, 02:40 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 321 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.