Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] What are your dB levels using phone app? My Dreamstation result
Question 
What are your dB levels using phone app? My Dreamstation result
I ordered a Dreamstation on Dec 6 2018 from CPAPoutlet Commercial Link Removed after having a "free trial" of the same machine.  The trial machine seemed almost silent, but I didn't get dB levels on it.  I recieved the new machine Dec 22, and the first night I had it I found it extremely noisy.   There was a whirring sound which changed pitch as I breathed.  I tried moving it, covering it with pillows, etc. but I asked immediately for an RMA.   It took almost a month, but I got my replacement yesterday and it seems much quieter.

I downloaded Sound Meter - Decibel meter & Noise Meter for android by Tools Dev.   I put my phone on top of the machine,  and breathed through the mask for a couple of minures.   Here's my results:

The noisy machine was 53 dB min, 57 dB avg, 63 dB max

The new machine is 42 dB min, 53 dB Avg, 61 dB max -- I still think it is louder than the machine I had for the free trial.

I am wondering if anyone else has measured their machine with an app, and, if so, what are your results (please include your machine type).

Thanks!

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What are your dB levels using phone app? My Dreamstation result
Just an observation:  If you want to be able to compare your numbers to the ones published by the manufacturers, it'd be good to use the distance from the machine that was used in those measurements.  I don't know what that distance is, but it should be specified in the ISO standard.

From the Dreamstation manual:
Quote:Declared Dual-Number Noise Emissions Values In accordance with ISO 4871

The A-weighted sound pressure level is:
Device:  26.1 dB(A) with and uncertainty of 2 dB(A).
Device with Humidifier:  27.3 dB(A) with and uncertainty of 2 dB(A).

The A-weighted sound power level is:
Device:  34.1 dB(A) with an uncertainty of 2 dB(A).
Device with Humidifier:  35.3 dB(A) with an uncertainty of 2 dB(A).

Note: Values determined according to noise test code given in ISO 80601-2-70:2015, using the basic standards ISO 3744 and ISO 4871.

Resmed Airsense 10:
Quote:Sound:
Pressure level measured according to ISO 80601-2-70:2015 (CPAP mode):
SlimLine: 25 dBA with uncertainty of 2 dBA
Standard: 25 dBA with uncertainty of 2 dBA
SlimLine or Standard and humidification: 27 dBA with uncertainty of 2 dBA

Power level measured according to ISO 80601-2-70:2015 (CPAP mode):
SlimLine: 33 dBA with uncertainty of 2 dBA
Standard:  33 dBA with uncertainty of 2 dBA
SlimLine or Standard and humidification: 35 dBA with uncertainty of 2 dBA

Declared dual-number noise emission values in accordance with ISO 4871:1996.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good point, I'll check ISO 4871  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
So if you search on some info on dB vs DBA, there is some interesting information out there. I've learned a lot this morning. I can't find the actual spec, but most are saying that the measurement is taken from where a listener would logically be for that equipment, or 1 meter away as a more general rule. One site interestingly says "Pro audio equipment often lists an A-weighted noise spec − not because it correlates well with our hearing − but because it can "hide" nasty hum components that make for bad noise specs. Words to bright minds: Always wonder what a manufacturer is hiding when they use A-weighting. "

However, in order to compare apples to apples, I am curious what other people get as a dB level when using an app and putting their cell phone on top of the CPAP machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, one meter, thanks.

I searched for more just from casual curiosity, and found this, which is TMI for most folks including me and has a comprehensive "Appendix A: Determination of Noise Level in accordance with ISO 80601-2-70:2015-01" so will be of interest to those who do want to get all technical about it.  ISO 80601-2-70 is the one that's specifically about CPAP equipment rather than audio.

http://www.artp.org.uk/download.cfm/doci...6CCE8F7737

(.org.uk is non-commercial, of course)

"Association for Respiratory Technology & Physiology: ARTP Standards of Care: CPAP Devices (Technical and Performance)" (PDF, 40 pages; Appendix A is 6 pages)

Quote:... The acceptable noise range (Sound Pressure Level) will be <30dB at 10 hPa/cmH2O at a distance of 1 metre (independent, standardised assessment conditions).  Manufacturers in their technical specifications should quote noise measured according to EN ISO 80601-2-70:2015.  Conducted noise can be quoted in addition.  Noise must be ascertained by independent laboratory testing according to the protocol specified in Appendix A.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finally had a PSG instead of a PG and the result shocked me mugen4u 47 3,023 03-25-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,601 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 674 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Low O2 Levels During Sleep with Low AHI cmpman1974 60 5,086 01-01-2024, 09:24 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  [Treatment] Low AHI but dizziness and fatigue with spikes of low O2 levels John94 8 1,107 01-01-2024, 11:01 AM
Last Post: PamVT41
  CA's and low CO2 levels? MrIvanDrago 2 448 11-26-2023, 11:43 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  [Treatment] Review of OSCAR Result wasvsdal 7 664 10-18-2023, 12:02 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.