Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] What next for tweaks to setup
What next for tweaks to setup
Quite a few months ago I was diagnosed with sleep apnea AHI 30

I have tried several ResMed masks, but the only one I have found that doesn't leak is the F30. However, it does feel like the F30 nearly pinches my nostrils closed, so I'm not sure exactly how well suited I am to this mask. 

Masks tested:

F20Medium - a bot too narrow at the mouth, and movement of my lips caused a leak - it also leaked when turn over an lie on my side
F20Large - Way too long, it was either under my chin or on my forehead
F30Medium - has a very small mouth section and the nose section can pinch or even misalign with nostrils
Mirage Quattro - I felt like I could get a pretty good fit with this mask, but like all full facemasks, it tends to leak when I turn over. The problem with this mask is that I woke up with a sore head and the lack of magnetic clips made it a pain to adjust during the night.

The F30 is the only mask where I can get 6 or 7 hours of sleep with only minor adjustments whilst I'm half asleep.

I have always struggled to get the pressure above 11 or 12.

I am tired and groggy, and as an added complication have also been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism, which also causes tiredness, making everything a little more tricky to diagnose. I'd like to get my sleep apnea in as controlled a state as I can whilst I work with my GP to get my thyroid medication at the right level.

I've attached my Oscar detail in case there are settings I can adjust.

Some other details

UK (NHS provided equip) - but I can administer
52M
100kg
183cm
side sleeper
ResMed CPAP Max pillow 2.0

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What next for tweaks to setup
Welcome to the board...  Your numbers look good, but you said you are not feel very well.  I do have a couple of suggestions.

For posting, we don't need to see the pulse or O2 readings unless there is something you are worried about.  Also please include the flow limit chart.  flow limits are apnea but are not counted in the AHI because they are not timed and we can not see them without the chart.  Last take off the calendar by clicking the triangle in the date line.

The EPR is exhale pressure relief.  It does two major things.  1st it lowers the exhale pressure by the number 1, 2 or 3 cm of pressure.  Example Min 7 EPR 3 the inhale pressure is 7 the exhale is 4.

Your min is 4 and your EPR is 3 and the machine can not do this.  You are getting NO EPR because the absolute lowest any pap machine can go is 4 so your EPR does nothing.

EPR does a 2nd thing and very important -  it help control flow limits.  I already mentioned that flow limits are apnea but they also cause the pressure of the machine to go up.  Resmed uses the FL to raise the pressure to stop them from becoming larger events (O and H).  And flow limits can wake you up of stop you from going into deep sleep.

Again, we can't see the flow limits but by looking at the jagged pressure graph, it looks like you have quite a few.

I would suggest you try the setting Min 7 EPR 3 full time

Last I would suggest you turn off the ramp.  With these setting your exhale pressure would be 4 and that is as low as it can go.  While you are on ramp the machine will NOT adjust for apnea and will not record any - in other words you are not getting any therapy while you are on the ramp.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you @staceyburke

I will make the adjustments tonight and see what happens. I've also just rearranged the graphs and taken another screenshot. Apologies for not setting that up correctly.

Post Reply Post Reply
New chart after updating the settings as suggested.

Flow limit has been reduced 
The mask felt quite different, I could feel the pressure more.
AHI is up but still below 5
The leak rate has increased quite a bit, which woke me up quite a few times to fix

It's looking to me that I need to fix the leaks with the increased pressure and adjust my fit to suit the new settings.

Post Reply Post Reply
Centrals are very inconsistent- meaning one day you have a lot the next day not nearly as many with the exact same pressures.

Give it a day or two If you feel ok and see what it looks like.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 102 3 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,678 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
Thumbsup NEW MEMBER INFO: GET YOUR OWN [secret] CPAP SETUP MANUAL SuperSleeper 1 1,940 02-17-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 249 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
  My battery backup setup GeoffD 323 88,202 10-16-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: Hintertux
  New DreamStation 2 setup KSMatthew 7 791 08-24-2023, 04:59 PM
Last Post: KSMatthew
  Beefy CPAP battery setup that can be taken on a plane mitzvahtime 2 1,368 08-02-2023, 03:04 PM
Last Post: mitzvahtime

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.