Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] When to consider switch from CPAP to Oral Appliance
RE: When to consider switch from CPAP to Oral Appliance
[attachment=10047]
Progress Update. 
Thanks everyone for your comments.

Based on the earlier advice, I jumped my minimum pressure to 8.0 (from 6.0) ... but that proved to be too big a jump too suddenly for me.

So I backed it off to 7.0 for a couple of nights ... things are getting better, though still not getting what I would consider a full night's sleep.  If I'm reading Sleepyhead correctly, I really only had one big jump last night, which seems to be an improvement. And max. pressure up to 11.5, which I take it is also a good sign (per Sleeprider's observation).  I will crank it up to 7.5 and give it a couple more days.
Post Reply Post Reply
your numbers are better than you think they are, about half of your obstructive events are SWJ, I counted 14 that were not.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you can, keep trying to work your way up to 8.0 start pressure. That will definitely help you. Keep in mind it takes a number of days to adjust but once you have, I suspect your results will be even better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Fred is calling half of that "sleep-wake-junk" and it may be exactly that, but it is occurring during ramp. I think you would do better with a minimum pressure of 8.0 and turn off ramp. If 8.0 is too big of a start, then starting at 7.0 without a ramp will be better. I agree with Fred that many of the events are probably during a period when you are awake and uncomfortable with the increasing pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a friend who was completely unable to use a CPAP. She was referred to a specialty dentist in the North Columbus, Ohio area who fitted her with an oral appliance. It has worked perfectly for her. Your mileage may vary.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Beej.   This reminds me I should do an update and post a success story.   The advice given by the previous posters a month ago has turned out very well.   I am sleeping much, MUCH better than since I first got the CPAP.  And my spouse much happier too (that's the cake, not the icing!)

The big takeaway -- folks having difficulties should post their Sleephead data and try out suggestions from this board before giving up hope.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 125 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  Airsense 10 - Bright light from on/off switch Dagmar 6 11,072 03-03-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: E.W.
  Switch to AirSense VAuto for UARS/low AHI lexit957 1 299 01-22-2024, 09:18 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Switch to memory foam cushion? Toddsims 4 515 12-28-2023, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question CPAP "Mouth Only" Appliance? GrantT 4 471 11-16-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  [Treatment] LF Oral Surgeon recommendation in DMV area for MMA SleepWhenImDead 1 1,084 11-16-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: isabelle315
  CPAP + Oral Appliance = Leaks DoktorSpengler 0 322 08-16-2023, 01:52 PM
Last Post: DoktorSpengler

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.