Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Trying a Oral Appliance
Trying a Oral Appliance
I have severe OSA and 100% corrected by my cpap.  Been using a CPAP for many years, with no issues.  However, I have an extended backpacking trip coming up, and the thought of lugging 3.5 lbs of cpap equipment on top of my gear, just isn't attractive.  A friend suggested a MAD.  However, not wanting to spend thousands on a sleep study and dentist just to find it didn't work, I decided to just try an OTC version.  I used my PR System One as a measuring device by setting the max and min pressure to 4 (which doesn't provide therapy), and did a control sleep without the MAD.  Of course, AHI off the chart and woke up with splitting headache.  Tried the MAD, and AHI was at 0.8, and I was shocked.  I have tried the MAD now for 2 weeks, at first it was a bit painful as the device moves your jaw forward.  After a while, I was quite pleased that I didn't have any issues with jaw pain.  I am doing the recommended exercises immediately each morning to ensure I don't develop jaw displacement issues.

Right now, I my AHI is varying between 0.8 and 5.7 depending if the device slips or not.  Even on nights where it slips, I usually wake up and reposition, so the worst AHI I have recorded is 5.7.  I have tried to use head bands to keep the jaw closed, but they are ineffective.  I did use the device on a week long business trip, without the cpap to measure.  No headaches, no issues of tiredness, no symptoms of OSA problems, so I know it isn't the CPAP at pressure 4 affecting the results (yeah, I need a sleep study). I guess at this point I need to just spend the $$ and have a professional one made and fitted. 

I am just not sure I want to continue with the MAD after my trip.  I am interested in the long-term problems anyone has had with a MAD.  Also, has anyone else tried OTC devices with the same success?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Trying a Oral Appliance
There are a few “Possibly Related Threads” below that may be of interest to you.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The chin strap has greatly improved my sleep quality. There are different types of chin straps out there and I prefer the double band style as it stays on better.  You need to find one that stays on properly.

The double band chin strap worked for me.  I never tried it without my VPAP because I have mixed sleep apnea.  I never tried it with my dental device but maybe a combination of dental device and chin strap might work better for some.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is a surprising result, not that it worked but that it seems to work so well.  If you choose you are a case that could consider benefit from going to a MAD device.  I do understand that when fitted properly they are painless.

1: realize that you are lessening your apnea with your pressure of 4 and as such I would suggest a sleep study to see if it is effective.  I would suggest it be a multiple night study because 1 night does not make a trend.

Also do your research and find a dental sleep clinic, a place that specializes in this device rather than a "corner dentist".
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 127 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
Question CPAP "Mouth Only" Appliance? GrantT 4 471 11-16-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  [Treatment] LF Oral Surgeon recommendation in DMV area for MMA SleepWhenImDead 1 1,084 11-16-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: isabelle315
  CPAP + Oral Appliance = Leaks DoktorSpengler 0 322 08-16-2023, 01:52 PM
Last Post: DoktorSpengler
  Oral Dental Appliance RandomPilar 47 11,755 06-21-2023, 01:59 AM
Last Post: ZacMirror
  [Equipment] oral appliance instead of CPAP? singergal67 9 1,034 06-02-2023, 03:54 PM
Last Post: singergal67
  CPAP, dry mouth, and poor oral health Liteheart1 10 1,778 09-23-2022, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Liteheart1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.