Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Where do I start (my first night on cpap + sleepyhead)
RE: Where do I start (my first night on cpap + sleepyhead)
Just for reference, ResScan free software download info here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...hines-only

SleepyHead free software download site here:

http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

(05-29-2016, 09:31 AM)green wings Wrote: You have yourself an APAP machine (auto-adjusting CPAP).
Thanks for the further clarification.
I'm only slowly realizing that the MARKETING guys fooled me.
I will stop using the trademarked term "bipap", in favor of bi-level or something of that ilk to indicate a different level for inspiration than for expiration.

(05-29-2016, 09:31 AM)green wings Wrote: My understanding is that all of these machine are "CPAP", in the sense that they provide continuous positive airway pressure. Although it's continuous and positive, the pressure may be fixed (usually called "straight CPAP", "fixed CPAP", or just "CPAP") or it may vary (auto-PAP).
I think I'm getting the terminology now. Thanks.
I will just refer to my machine as an APAP or automatic CPAP, as you suggested. Thanks. Sorry I succumbed to the marketing hype.

(05-29-2016, 09:31 AM)green wings Wrote: You're right that the EPR feature is essentially a "BiPAP" function. EPR, C-Flex or A-Flex give you a limited ability to lower the exhale pressure by up to 2-3 cm.

The term "BiPAP" is usually reserved for machines that let you set a wider range than 3 cm between inhale and exhale pressure. I imagine that this terminology came about when regular CPAP machines didn't have any EPR feature.Although it's continuous and positive, the pressure may be fixed (usually called "straight CPAP", "fixed CPAP", or just "CPAP") or it may vary (auto-PAP).
I'll solve this problem of trademarks by using a generic term such as "bi-level" to indicate that the inspiration and expiration pressures can differ.

Thanks for the clarification.
(05-29-2016, 09:31 AM)green wings Wrote: I have a Respironics machine, so I can't help you with the airplane mode message. Sounds annoying.
I don't like big brother, so, I don't like the idea of the CDMA modem sending data without my knowledge which can be potentially intercepted by anyone with any technical knowledge about it.

So I have airplane mode turned on; but I just wish I could turn off the nag message (most software has a "don't show this message again" which is what I'd expect here).
(05-29-2016, 09:47 AM)Sleepster Wrote: I don't know how to help you with that. I leave airplane mode on so that my data is uploaded to myAir.
Actually you have airplane mode off! Smile

(05-29-2016, 09:47 AM)Sleepster Wrote: This feature gives you a quick and easy way to evaluate some of your data without having to do anything other than open a browser on a device and point it to the myAir web site.
Everyone is different; but I don't like big brother and all those who can intercept my meta data, so, I'll not be uploading each of my breaths to the Internet, nor will I be opening myself to potential viruses and miscreants logging into my machine from the Internet.

I suspect it's a very remote possibility; but if it can be done, something is gonna try it just for the fun of turning off your machine in the middle of the night or blowing up your lungs like a balloon. I wouldn't do that - but there are people out there that would (who writes viruses anyway?).

So, for me, I don't want my machine connected in any way to the network, whether WiFi or CDMA/GSM cellular or Bluetooth.

(05-29-2016, 09:47 AM)Sleepster Wrote: The ResMed software is called ResScan. It's free. It's not as easy to use as SleepyHead, but it does have some advantages. First, it's the official software so if there's something in your data that you want to show to a doctor, he may be more likely to accept it as valid if it's a ResScan print out. Second, SleepyHead is beta software and therefore has bugs. If you see something questionable in SleepyHead you can use ResScan to verify that it's indeed something real and not due to a SleepyHead bug.

Thanks for the update on the ResMed software.
I did Googling for how to obtain the ResMed software, I find a disconcerting "legalese" in the download page:
https://www.resmed.com/us/en/healthcare-...sscan.html
Where it says: "Caution: Federal law restricts this device to sale by or on the order of a physician".
Huh? Really?

And, later it says "This content is restricted for the use of healthcare professionals and our commercial partners."

Wow. Big brother with a big nanny next to him! Smile
(05-29-2016, 11:07 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Just for reference, ResScan free software download info here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...hines-only

SleepyHead free software download site here:

http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./

Thanks for that information.
Much appreciated.

I'm starting to get used to the software, where I love that we can get different information from each package and we can doublecheck for errors.

Here, for example, are my results in SleepyHead for last night:
[Image: 6MfuQu.gif]

(05-29-2016, 12:25 PM)verbatim1 Wrote: I don't like big brother, so, I don't like the idea of the CDMA modem sending data without my knowledge which can be potentially intercepted by anyone with any technical knowledge about it.

For the life of me I don't know what bad things can happen to me just from people seeing my APAP data. If you ever use or used a credit card on the net (and I do it all the time) you are in *far* more danger from that than from someone knowing the data in your APAP machine.

As for "privacy", that battle has been lost so long as you live anywhere near a place with electricity and have *any* kind of computer. "Big brother" can already find out anything he wants to know about you whenever he wants to. And if he *really* wants you even hiding in a hole deep in the woods won't stop him.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Whether or not a person is comfortable with a modem transmitting their CPAP data wirelessly seems like a personal preference to me.

It's certainly not affecting the efficacy of their treatment.

(05-29-2016, 05:46 PM)eseedhouse Wrote:
(05-29-2016, 12:25 PM)verbatim1 Wrote: I don't like big brother, so, I don't like the idea of the CDMA modem sending data without my knowledge which can be potentially intercepted by anyone with any technical knowledge about it.

For the life of me I don't know what bad things can happen to me just from people seeing my APAP data. If you ever use or used a credit card on the net (and I do it all the time) you are in *far* more danger from that than from someone knowing the data in your APAP machine.

As for "privacy", that battle has been lost so long as you live anywhere near a place with electricity and have *any* kind of computer. "Big brother" can already find out anything he wants to know about you whenever he wants to. And if he *really* wants you even hiding in a hole deep in the woods won't stop him.

(05-29-2016, 06:00 PM)green wings Wrote: Whether or not a person is comfortable with a modem transmitting their CPAP data wirelessly seems like a personal preference to me.

I don't think I suggested it wasn't. My personal preference is different and I shared it. No chastisement was intended.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

(05-29-2016, 05:46 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: For the life of me I don't know what bad things can happen to me just from people seeing my APAP data.
Everyone in the USA has a fundamental right to privacy, and medical privacy is included in that fundamental right.

In addition, "meta data" is powerful stuff, which is never only used in isolation, but which is always used in conjuction with other data.

While I can EASILY see how to use the sleep apnea meta data for nefarious purposes in perhaps a dozen different ways, I, myself, am not about to try to break into someone eles's data.

However, it's trivial to see how the sleep apnea can be used for nefarious purposes that I will only mention a couple of ways.

1. If a bugler wants to know if you're asleep, the breathing patterns will tell her that information.
2. If a wife wants to know if her husband is at her best friend's house instead of on a week-long business trip, the IP address on the connection will tell her where he is.
3. If I can tap into the machine to change the settings, I can also install firmware to do anything I want it to do (think of what happened to the Siemens centrifuge controllers in the Iran nuclear facility, for example).
etc.

It would be easy to come up with a dozen nefarious purposes, but I'm not saying that they're actually happening. I'm just saying if you paid me to find a score of ways to compromise someone from a net connection to a sleep apnea machine, I could and would do that easily.

Since it's so easy to do (conceptually anyway), "I" don't want "my" sleep apnea machine on the net. YMMV.

(05-29-2016, 05:46 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: If you ever use or used a credit card on the net (and I do it all the time) you are in *far* more danger from that than from someone knowing the data in your APAP machine.

You don't know that I call up the credit card companies about once a year and report mine lost (asynchronously so that I have a working card), just so that they destroy the old numbers.

And I rarely buy anything on the net if I don't have to (e.g., my mobile devices have NEVER had a credit card in them).

(05-29-2016, 05:46 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: As for "privacy", that battle has been lost so long as you live anywhere near a place with electricity and have *any* kind of computer. "Big brother" can already find out anything he wants to know about you whenever he wants to. And if he *really* wants you even hiding in a hole deep in the woods won't stop him.

I know what you mean. If you paid me to take everything off my neighbor's computer, it would be an easy job, from cracking WEP to using rainbow tables on WPA2/PSK. I would sniff where they are using WiFi wardriving software and pick out their packets using Kismet (which my friend, Marius Milner wrote).

If you want to know where anyone is at the moment, I'd just plug in their SSID (or MAC address) even if they used "_nomap" at the end of their SSID, and I'd supply a fictitious signal strength in decibels, along with the SSID of the place where you think they are, and Google's public API will TELL ME if they're next to each other.

If I wanted to (and if you paid me), I could listen in on any calls and look at any non-encrypted text message simply by tapping into the highly insecure SS7 system, from any GSM tower connection in the world.

If I had the resources that the FBI has, I'd be flying "my" Cessna, instead of them flying theirs, overhead right now collecting all your meta data, and certainly I'd be tapping all the information you are sending to Google and Apple from your cellphone, which would tell me a lot about your life.

That I don't feel like doing "any" of that simply means nobody is paying me to do it; but I know enough to know that it's foolish to have my sleep apnea machine connected to the net if there is no benefit to me.

However, I fully recognize that many people have already given up on protecting their privacy, like a kid who allows the punks to bully him about; and I can't say that it's the wrong thing to do. It's just the wrong thing for "me" to do.

The only thing I ask for is a way to say "Don't tell me again" when the machine nags that Airplane mode is on.
(05-29-2016, 07:51 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: I don't think I suggested it wasn't. My personal preference is different and I shared it. No chastisement was intended.

I realize you're responding to someone else, but I would like to ask you if your provider actually looks at the data and if they modify the machine from the network.

If they do modify the machine, what "login" credentials do they use (I don't want to know what the login is - but just what type of credentials do they use, e.g., what type of encryption, etc.)?

You probably don't know - so this is really a general question for everyone to consider who has such a machine. If it's going out on CDMA, I should be able to see it on my cellphone with wardriving software so I will turn it on and take a look on my cellphone.

But I would ask anyone who has that feature turned on WHAT they get out of it. I do understand there is the net app, so if that's what you get out of it, then I understand that already.

But what else (besides the net app) do you get out of giving your medical provider access to your private data?
(05-30-2016, 12:37 AM)verbatim1 Wrote: I realize you're responding to someone else, but I would like to ask you if your provider actually looks at the data and if they modify the machine from the network.

They *can* but my DME doesn't. They told me how to access the clinician's manual when I bought the machine and I've always made changes on my own. If I have some unusual problem I check with them for advice.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,132 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 880 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  New CPAP user - Longest night I've been able to keep it on bopbop 4 400 01-31-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: bopbop
  CPAP journey start - please help (thread) Negligee1136 48 4,276 01-29-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: zaienk
  new CPAP user night 12 .......runny nose Barbara Williams 0 350 11-11-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Barbara Williams
  [CPAP] Preparing for first night with CPAP (help required) applebee 2 432 10-28-2023, 11:20 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Night Guard use with CPAP brettski99 3 633 10-14-2023, 09:52 AM
Last Post: jstro84

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.