Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Whining siren noise and bearing replacement/repair
Whining siren noise and bearing replacement/repair
I have a Resmed S8 that I have used for quite a few years. A great little machine. Recently the machine made a whining noise that progressively increased. Sounded very similar to a siren. I was pretty sure the bearings had worn. I didn’t want to spend the money to buy a new one when I am pretty sure I can fix the one I own. I began tearing into it as I no longer have a warranty to void.

With a long thin torx driver all of the outer screws came out with relative ease. The outer shell, with a little work, slid apart showing the airtight seals. I was careful not to damage the airtight seals. This revealed the circuit board and two connections, which were carefully removed and set aside. The rubberized steel casing that houses the motor appears to be one piece, but the rubberized top lid separates from the bottom. This revealed the inner motor housing, which has four screws to reveal the actual motor assembly. The bearings are held in place by a small c clip, once that is carefully removed, a little prying removed arbor and bearings.

The bearings on my machine were made by a company called NMB, model #R3HH. I looked around on the internet, as Resmed does not make bearings. The cheapest place I found the bearings was on Amazon. 8 bucks for two of them. These were made in Japan. I have used bearings on other projects. Be sure to stay away from bearings made in China as the quality control is a bit iffy. I am sure other machine bearings can be replaced in much the same manner.

Before reassembly I made sure to clean out any excess dust build-up. Reassembly was a snap, and the machine works as good a new.

I hope this helps. Good luck.Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Whining siren noise and bearing replacement/repair
Nice!

Was there much dust/dirt inside?
Post Reply Post Reply
I am amazed that you could find correct bearings.
Are those sealed or shielded bearings?
Perhaps you could post a photo of the bearing your pulled.
I'm just curious.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Bearings should have an identifying number stamped into them.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nice that you were able to do this repair and extend the life of the machine. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2015, 01:38 PM)worn_out_in_lebanon Wrote: Nice that you were able to do this repair and extend the life of the machine. Smile

Since that's pretty much the only moving part, the life probably just got extended "a lot"! 8-)

Post Reply Post Reply
Nice job and great information.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2015, 12:16 PM)justMongo Wrote: I am amazed that you could find correct bearings.
Are those sealed or shielded bearings?
Perhaps you could post a photo of the bearing your pulled.
I'm just curious.

They are shielded bearings. I will try to attach a pic. Google plus made the pic not very clear. The right bearing had a small amount of rust. The left bearing could have been used longer. But as a precaution, I changed out both.    
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2015, 12:13 PM)player Wrote: Nice!

Was there much dust/dirt inside?

Less dirt than I thought there would be after 7 years of use. Pretty much only on the leading edges of the fan blades and where the air made tight turns.
Post Reply Post Reply
Would wanna tell us the run time?
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,032 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,257 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 86 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,815 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 142 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 201 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.