Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Why is the S9 leak always 6 liters/minute ?
Question 
Why is the S9 leak always 6 liters/minute ?
Six liters per minute leak seems like quite a bit. I read that up to 24 liters/minute is okay. My mask isn't leaking, so where are these six liters per minute going ?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why is the S9 leak always 6 liters/minute ?
(10-24-2015, 11:00 PM)Doctor Wrote: Six liters per minute leak seems like quite a bit. I read that up to 24 liters/minute is okay. My mask isn't leaking, so where are these six liters per minute going ?
I assume, you're getting 6, from the screen sleep report as you're not using software
The S9 display 95th percentile unintentional leak (from mouth, mask, etc.), means leaks was at or below 6 L/m (not all long) for 95% of the night. If stuck at 6, might need rebooting

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2015, 11:20 PM)zonk Wrote:
(10-24-2015, 11:00 PM)Doctor Wrote: Six liters per minute leak seems like quite a bit. I read that up to 24 liters/minute is okay. My mask isn't leaking, so where are these six liters per minute going ?
I assume, you're getting 6, from the screen sleep report as you're not using software
The S9 display 95th percentile unintentional leak (from mouth, mask, etc.), means leaks was at or below 6 L/m (not all long) for 95% of the night. If stuck at 6, might need rebooting

Yes, 6 is on the screen but SleepyHead shows zero. Have rebooted the machine several times in the past year. I was told not to worry about the value until it exceeds 24.

Does anyone here have a leak of zero on their S9 screen ?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2015, 02:20 AM)Doctor Wrote: Does anyone here have a leak of zero on their S9 screen ?

I've only ever seen that once, just after I switched to a Simplus mask. As Zonk said the leak given on the machine is the 95 percentile. It could be caused by a transitory event like your mask being nudged slightly out of place if you move in your sleep. Unless leaks are causing you problems (eg blowing into your eyes or causing face-farts) then I wouldn't worry about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2015, 02:20 AM)Doctor Wrote: Yes, 6 is on the screen but SleepyHead shows zero. Have rebooted the machine several times in the past year. I was told not to worry about the value until it exceeds 24.

S9 sleep report shows 95%
SleepyHead shows ... Min, Med, 95%, Max
Which one showing zero?
I'm not sure of the definition of Min, mine always zero

I'm not fussed about leak, as long as don't disturb my sleep or goes near my eyes
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2015, 03:48 AM)zonk Wrote:
(10-25-2015, 02:20 AM)Doctor Wrote: Yes, 6 is on the screen but SleepyHead shows zero. Have rebooted the machine several times in the past year. I was told not to worry about the value until it exceeds 24.

S9 sleep report shows 95%
SleepyHead shows ... Min, Med, 95%, Max
Which one showing zero?
I'm not sure of the definition of Min, mine always zero

I'm not fussed about leak, as long as don't disturb my sleep or goes near my eyes

The one year of CPAP Stats on SleepyHead shows Average Leak Rate = 0.00, 90% Leak Rate 0.00, and % time above Leak Rate Threshold = 0.00 .

But the ResMed S9 screen never shows a leak rate of 0.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2015, 05:41 PM)Doctor Wrote: The one year of CPAP Stats on SleepyHead shows Average Leak Rate = 0.00, 90% Leak Rate 0.00, and % time above Leak Rate Threshold = 0.00 .

I guess, its a SH problem. I cannot imagine how could be zero for everything all this time, but then I don't have much of imagination
Have you tried ResScan, but doesn't like Mac

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2015, 06:55 PM)zonk Wrote:
(10-25-2015, 05:41 PM)Doctor Wrote: The one year of CPAP Stats on SleepyHead shows Average Leak Rate = 0.00, 90% Leak Rate 0.00, and % time above Leak Rate Threshold = 0.00 .

I guess, its a SH problem. I cannot imagine how could be zero for everything all this time, but then I don't have much of imagination
Have you tried ResScan, but doesn't like Mac

Good point, Zonk. Thanks Will try ResScan.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting!!! I just looked at my leak rate statistics in Sleepyhead. What caught my interest was the fact that my average leak rate is 1.49 for the last 6 months and 1.43 for the last year. My 90% leak rate is 0 for the last 6 months and 0 for the last year. I do not think that this is mathematically impossible but it is mathematically improbable I think.

Frankly, I seldom look at the statistics in Sleepyhead.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like an issue with the Sleepyhead and the S9. Mine seems to read okay.

6-months
ALR: 7
90% LR: 15.4
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 3 51 4 minutes ago
Last Post: ck100
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 245 03-27-2024, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,414 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 147 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 155 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 139 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 149 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.