Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Why was auto no working?
Question 
Why was auto no working?

Why the difference? For the last two nights I have hanged my Resmed S9 from auto to constant pressure because I felt like the auto function was not helping me. For the last two nights I have slept 7.2 and 8.3 hours on the constant pressure . My average sleep time with the auto function was 5.8 hours ofvery poor sleep. Why am I sleeping longer and with better quality of sleep with the constant pressure? I thought that the auto cpap would be just as effective as using a cpap with constant pressure? I have been using Resmed S9 on Auto mode for about two years. My doctor set the pressure range from 5 to 16. I have taken several sleep tests over the years with each one yielding a different result. I have be prescribed with 5,10,15 lbs. of pressure, and by the way my weight has not changed. I am of average weight. I think the difference in pressures is that I went to three different labs. Different labs, different results, at least for me. From talking with sleep techs over the years I believe the test results can be subjective. I have had mild sleep apnea for about five years.
After the first month on the auto cpap the doctor looked at the read out from the Resmed and told me that most of my apneas were controlled with up to 8 lbs. of pressure. I never went over 9. He told me the machine was working perfectly I had less than 5 apneas per hour.
I have gone back time after time complaining that I didn't think
the Auto Cpap was working. The only person who would listen to me was the sleep tech who told me to turn off the auto and use the constant pressure.
I know that two days is a short time, but I do feel a big difference in the quality of sleep between auto and constant. What is it that I am not understanding. Thanks for any advice.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why was auto no working?
Welcome to the Forum. We are glad you joined us!!! Welcome

What is the ResScan software telling you in auto mode vs. constant pressure mode? Do the numbers back up what your feeling of better sleep.

Best of luck to you with this.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jim53, First of all, Welcome! to the forum. I'm not able to answer your question but, keep checking back as I'm sure you will get some help. Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2012, 07:59 PM)cbramsey Wrote: Welcome to the Forum. We are glad you joined us!!! Welcome

What is the ResScan software telling you in auto mode vs. constant pressure mode? Do the numbers back up what your feeling of better sleep.

Best of luck to you with this.

Thanks for the welcome. I have had sleep apnea for years but I am new to posting and relatively new to reading my ResScan sleep reports, so please forgive my ignorance.

My sleep report for last night says my pressure was 11
My hours asleep was 8.3

Besides the long sleep time I guess the important number is the AHI number. Last night I had 0.9 AHI and it said total AI 0.9 It also gave the number for central apneas at 0.8

I think my leak rate was high 28.8L/min. I did wake up at least a couple of times with the mask leaking. Usually with the auto on, leaks are not a problem so switching to cpap, I will have to fit the mask better.

Does it make sense for me to obtain the ResScan software and reading device so I can get a more detailed report? It has been only two days since I learned how to change from auto to cpap. I don't think I had access to my AHI levels before I unlocked the machine.

The way I would learn about my report was when I would bring my card in and the sleep tech would print out a sleep report for me and the doc.

I am kind of desperate. Sleep has been such a big problem for me ever since I developed sleep apnea. CPAP and AutoPap have not change my life for the better like I hear from so many people. I have to admit I am jealous. I just don't know what I am doing wrong.

Thanks again for all your help.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2012, 08:42 PM)jim53 Wrote: I think my leak rate was high 28.8L/min. I did wake up at least a couple of times with the mask leaking.
Resmed machines report mask leak (unintentional leak) and define large leak above 24 L/min (above the red line on the Resscan leak graph). The red sad face shows on the machine sleep quality report when leak at or above 24 L/min for least 30% of the night.
28.8 L/min is the 95% percentile leak rate. You were leaking at or below 28.8 L/min for 95% of the night (higher for 5% of the time) and probably had the green smiley face showed on the sleep quality report. Its ideal to be lower than 24 L/min as higher leak rate can affect the accuracy of data and the therapy.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hello jim53,

The good news is you've discovered that a CPAP constant pressure of 11 works for you. Your AHI is nice and low. You do seem to be borderline with your mask leaks, so you may want to look into a different mask, nasal pillows, or adjstment of your current mask.

If you want answers to the questions you're asking about your APAP therapy, you will need to look at the data your machine is recording. It may be that you can improve your therapy by adjusting your CPAP pressure, or by going back to APAP therapy with a different range of pressures.

We need to find out if under your old APAP range you were spending too much time at the low end of the pressure range or the top end of the pressure range, and adjust accordingly. Or it may be that CPAP therapy works better for you, and if so, this information will help us determine whether your CPAP pressure might need to be raised or lowered.

Some people do better on CPAP's, some do better on APAP's.

You may want to send the data on your machine to your doctor or DME and discuss your situation with them.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2012, 10:39 AM)Sleepster Wrote: Hello jim53,

The good news is you've discovered that a CPAP constant pressure of 11 works for you. Your AHI is nice and low. You do seem to be borderline with your mask leaks, so you may want to look into a different mask, nasal pillows, or adjstment of your current mask.

If you want answers to the questions you're asking about your APAP therapy, you will need to look at the data your machine is recording. It may be that you can improve your therapy by adjusting your CPAP pressure, or by going back to APAP therapy with a different range of pressures.

We need to find out if under your old APAP range you were spending too much time at the low end of the pressure range or the top end of the pressure range, and adjust accordingly. Or it may be that CPAP therapy works better for you, and if so, this information will help us determine whether your CPAP pressure might need to be raised or lowered.

Some people do better on CPAP's, some do better on APAP's.

You may want to send the data on your machine to your doctor or DME and discuss your situation with them.

I am going to stay CPAP till I can see my doctor. Thanks Sleepster, I appreciate the advice.

It is still weird to me that my sleep doctor has, for the past two years, liked my data, even though I told him I wasn't sleeping well. I hope he truly understands what he is reading.

Is there a resource to find a good sleep doctor?
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Jim.. Your profile indicates that you have the Rescan software, however you question as to if you should obtain that software. I would suggest that , yes, you should obtain the Rescan and read all that you can about the information that is obtainable from the software. It is certainly beneficial to learn as much as possible about our malady of sleep apnea. In fact, in most fairly good sized cities/towns, there is usually monthly support group meetings, where invaluable info can be obtained from DME, RTs & sleep Physicians. Perhaps your DME or Physician has knowledge of these meetings. They are free and very informative (even for non-apnea spouses/partners). With more knowledge, you can use your autoPap as a home self tritation every so often to see how you are doing.

I don;t have the same issues that you mention but I do have the auto type XPAP, but use it in the CPAP mode, as the nightly pressure changes kept waking me up.

Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2012, 12:31 PM)jim53 Wrote: Is there a resource to find a good sleep doctor?

You could look for a MD certified in sleep medicine. The more you know about your own condition the better you'll be able to communicate with and benefit from a good doctor.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2012, 12:31 PM)jim53 Wrote: Is there a resource to find a good sleep doctor?
You can look here to find sleep center accredited by American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM) near you
http://www.sleepcenters.org/

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Machine and settings not working snapperzz 3 94 03-26-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: snapperzz
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 379 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 178 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
Question SD Formatting and OSCAR not working smallhandsfeeding 2 199 02-02-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 584 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 492 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Treatment] new to this - is it working? human 7 572 11-04-2023, 11:45 AM
Last Post: human

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.