Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Without Prescription
RE: CPAP Without Prescription
Congrats on the rx! All masks go with all machines. I would press for the information and make your preference known. A pain, I know, but could be important.
Post Reply Post Reply
Accepting whatever shows up is a recipe for disappointment. You are the end user and will have this machine for at least the next five years. Ask what has been ordered, and if it is not the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, let them know you won't accept an alternative. You have a right of refusal. I really don't like surprises when it comes to CPAP machines. ASK!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ditto the above.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the input! 

I called Sleep Data and asked and the person said she doesn't know which one it is, but it's the newest one from ResMed. And she said it's surprisingly small. So not much help lol. I plan to call back and see if I can get any more info.
Post Reply Post Reply
If it's Resmed, it will likely be the Autoset since you are self-titrating. No problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Seems odd, though, that they are mysterious about it or seemingly not able to determine what they are sending me. Oh well, will see what arrives I guess.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not too surprised that the DME doesn't know what machine they're sending. When waiting on the ASV in 2017, my DME auto message sent me about 6 false messages the machine was to be delivered the next day while live operators said it wasn't even ordered.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Dave and everyone else!

As it turns out, I was actually given a CPAP machine, as my sleep test showed 15.7 AHI. I've heard 15 AHI is sometimes the cut-off for getting a machine - though not sure if that's correct.

The machine they sent me is in fact the AirSense 10. I can see how it may take some getting used to, though it has gone ok so far, with one exception - I've found the nasal pillow mask they gave me somewhat irritating to my nose as it's left some red bumps around my nostrils. Guess I may need to try another mask.

Aside from that, the machine indicates an AHI of only between 1 and 2 for each of the 3 nights I've used it so far. So it definitely seems to be an improvement. 

Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
Jim, congrats on the machine. I'm guessing it's an Airsense 10 Autoset; is that right? If you're down to AHI of 1 to 2, you're doing very well. Would you like to post a daily chart so the forum members can take a look and see whether some little tweaks might be worth trying?

The usual low-end cutoff for a diagnosis of mild apnea is 5. 15 is on the borderline between mild and moderate.

If you like your pillow mask except for the red bumps, try putting a little something on the affected area once or twice a day and see if that helps. Some people swear by Lansinoh, a lanolin product to sooth irritation for nursing mothers. (So you'll find it in the baby-care aisle at the drug store.) Others find that Polysporin or a similar product helps.

Now that you're geared up, you might want to take a moment to fill out the rest of your profile so people can easily see what you use.
Post Reply Post Reply
jwoodz you might want to update your profile information with the new machine, and when you're ready, post a chart and we can let you know what we see.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 186 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  Prescription settings AfibApnea 12 862 11-21-2023, 09:08 PM
Last Post: AfibApnea
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 1,048 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
  Buying ASV online without a prescription books456 19 2,110 05-31-2023, 09:58 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
  [Equipment] Newbie with prescription and brand new machine from relative Bruce61 1 486 02-18-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Prescription for BiPAP DanEm 11 1,254 12-25-2022, 09:06 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How to get a prescription - live in rural area Madison320 22 2,477 11-11-2022, 10:54 AM
Last Post: Madison320

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.