Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Your opinion on these machines...
RE: Your opinion on these machines...
Personally even though I have a ResMed, I'd get the PR that's brand new and has the 2 year warranty. People on here love their PR System 1 machines. And I would definitely get the heated tube!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone!

(01-14-2016, 12:37 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Both are full data machines, but only the PRS1 will report RERA if that is important to you.

That is definitely a major selling point as I pretty have only RERAs.

(01-15-2016, 02:17 AM)vsheline Wrote: Those are both very fine machines for standard Obstructive Sleep Apnea, but neither of those "APAP" machines are able to treat UARS as well as a bilevel machine can.

I suggest saving up and getting the Gently Used Respironics System One DS760 BIPAP Auto, as suggested in this post:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid145861

Yes, it would take a little more money up front, but I think the long term protection of your health and quality of life (by adequately treating your UARS) is what is most important. And really, in the long run, the BiPAP Auto would not cost very much more.

Thank you for your advice! I'm aware that BiPAP would be more appropriate, it is however beyond my means at the moment. Maybe in a couple of years, when my husband and I are done school and have steady jobs with insurance, I will upgrade, but for now, I figure this system is better than no PAP treatment at all...
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2016, 12:42 PM)Geniale Wrote: Thank you everyone!

(01-14-2016, 12:37 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Both are full data machines, but only the PRS1 will report RERA if that is important to you.

That is definitely a major selling point as I pretty have only RERAs.
True for the S9 Autoset but the AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her and AutoSet report RERAs

Post Reply Post Reply
If you are going to go with APAP and not BIPAP, the Resmed EPR setting may be more helpful at 3 then the Respironics A-Flex or C-Flex which IIUC only gives a pressure support of 2 and the options just change where in the breathing cycle the pressure support is supplied. Probably said that wrong, but the upshot is that EPR is superior to AFLEX for UARS IMO.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone for you advice, it is very much appreciated! I ordered the new Respironics along with heated humidifier and tubing. It should arrive next week.

Another question... should I request a titration study in order to determine the optimal range of pressure for me? Right now, I was just given 5-20 cm H2O, but that seems very vague as it's pretty much the range of the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Given an Auto-titrating machine, I wouldn't go to the trouble (and expense) of a titration study. If you are ambitious you can download and install the Encore Pro software to monitor your results, but you should be able to get your supplier or sleep doctor to print its reports for you to study. I am hoping that sometime in the near future the SleepyHead software will be able to interpret the Dreamstation files.
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you order the new PR DreamStation or a PR System One Auto with AFLEX?

If you ordered the DreamStation, you can only use the Encore Pro Software.

If you ordered the PR System One Auto with AFEX, you can use SleepuHead and Encore Basic.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2016, 05:15 PM)pholynyk Wrote: Given an Auto-titrating machine, I wouldn't go to the trouble (and expense) of a titration study. If you are ambitious you can download and install the Encore Pro software to monitor your results, but you should be able to get your supplier or sleep doctor to print its reports for you to study. I am hoping that sometime in the near future the SleepyHead software will be able to interpret the Dreamstation files.

Fortunately, a titration study is free, but there is a long waiting list, so that's why I want to know if it would be a good idea so I can be added. I don't have a sleep doctor, only a primary care physician and my supplier is online...

(01-18-2016, 06:33 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Did you order the new PR DreamStation or a PR System One Auto with AFLEX?

If you ordered the DreamStation, you can only use the Encore Pro Software.

If you ordered the PR System One Auto with AFEX, you can use SleepuHead and Encore Basic.

I ordered the System One Auto (DS560).
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote: Fortunately, a titration study is free,

But there is all the time it takes to wash the gunk out of your hair...

Since you are getting the older machine, you can use SleepyHead and the forum advice to tighten up your range and bring down your AHI. It's not very difficult, and you will have more than one night of data to use.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I was in your shoes, I'd get the titration study. Sure, you can dial in the pressure yourself but, it never hurts to get a professional opinion. You could fine tune from there.
AFAIK, PR machines are a bit hesitant to raise the pressure and tend to keep it at minimum required to get the acceptable treatment of AHI less than 5. Because of that, it may take you a bit longer to achieve the best possible setting than starting from the values indicated by a proper titration study.
Naturally, all of the above is nothing more than yet another opinion from another sleep apneak.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  csa machines cexer 1 73 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 673 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Second opinion on a sleep study spudhorse 18 962 01-09-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Central vs. OA Events: Switching Machines or Tweaking Current CPAP Settings? fjones416 4 498 12-14-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Difference in Machines SufiMindtricks 8 595 11-26-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines britincanada 505 83,134 11-12-2023, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Angry [Equipment] KILLER STORY ON PHILLIPS CPAP MACHINES srlevine1 10 2,019 11-03-2023, 08:27 AM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.