Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Your opinion on these machines...
Question 
Your opinion on these machines...
I'm hesitating between these two machines:

ResMed Gently Used S9 AutoSet CPAP with EPR + Heated Humidifier with New Climateline Tubing

Philips Respironics New, Factory Sealed System One REMstar® Auto CPAP System with AFLEX® + Heated Humidifier (possible option of adding a Thermal Tubing Conversion Kit)

The prices for two are comparable, the new PR is $50 less than the ResMed (without the thermal tubing kit).

Which would you choose and why?

Also, is it worth paying extra for the thermal tubing? What are its advantages?
What is the difference (besides colour) between the ResMed and the ResMed for Her?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Your opinion on these machines...
(01-14-2016, 11:00 AM)Geniale Wrote: I'm hesitating between these two machines:

ResMed Gently Used S9 AutoSet CPAP with EPR + Heated Humidifier with New Climateline Tubing

Philips Respironics New, Factory Sealed System One REMstar® Auto CPAP System with AFLEX® + Heated Humidifier (possible option of adding a Thermal Tubing Conversion Kit)

The prices for two are comparable, the new PR is $50 less than the ResMed (without the thermal tubing kit).

Which would you choose and why?

What is the difference (besides colour) between the ResMed and the ResMed for Her?

Thanks

The S9 is a very good machine from what I've observed from folk that use it here, but I guess I'm a little biased because I use a PR Systtem One APAP.

The S9 probably has about 500 hours on it....did you ask what the warranty was compared to the new PR APAP?

The heated tubing was a game changer for me. No rainout, no condensation, more comfort.

The PR System One is new, no hours on it and I assume has a 2 year warranty, whereas the S9 probably has a 6 month warranty.

No brainer.... The PR System One with heated tube. My 2 cents. Big Grin

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2016, 11:14 AM)OpalRose Wrote: The S9 probably has about 500 hours on it....did you ask what the warranty was compared to the new PR APAP?

Many thanks for your reply!

The S9 comes with a 1-year warranty whereas the PR has a 2-year warranty.
Post Reply Post Reply
Both machines give comparable therapy. Exhalation relief is different, with the Resmed offering up to 3 cm EPR and Respiroinics AFlex providing 2 cm of relief with different timing. Both are full data machines, but only the PRS1 will report RERA if that is important to you. A heated hose addition for the PRS1 retails for $75, and I definitely think heated tubing is worthwhile for comfort and to prevent condensation. I'm aware of a new "REMstar Auto with humidifier, SD card and heated tube" on Amazon for $415, so that is another price point for consideration, and no need to worry about a used machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Geniale,
Both machines are comparable, but I would opt for the PR because with it, it is new and it has a 2-year warranty instead of 1-year.
Good luck on your machine decision and hang in there for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2016, 11:00 AM)Geniale Wrote: Which would you choose and why?

Thanks
Depend on the run hours, gently used can be anything from few hours, couple of hundred hours, or even couple thousand hours
If on the low side, I'll go with S9 AutoSet, as for why .... I haven't used PR machines and biased towards ResMed Smile

The heated hose can make life easier but not absolute necessity
As far as S9 AutoSet concerned, both versions are the same with the exception of the colour, for Her model is pink
AirSense 10 AutoSet and AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her, the difference is more than just colour
for Her model have an extra mode "AutoSet for Her" designed to respond less aggressively
Not sure, if for real or just marketing but suppose the jury is still out

Post Reply Post Reply
Two other considerations:

The S9 only has 7 days of full data on the card. You have to download the data at least every 7 days or you lose the detailed data. I believe that changed with the A10.

The PRS1s keep data on the card much longer.

and

The data available for easy viewing on the screen is different. The S9 shows a lot more data at a glance than the PRS1.

Before purchasing, download the clinician manuals for both. Pretend you want to get to the pressure to change it. Go through the manual and see what steps it takes to do it.

Oh, and the clock on the S9 can be changed but the PRS1 cannot. It is stuck in GST.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Having used both now PRS1 hands down.
Reasons. Less cost longer warrenty
Will run on DC without a inverter or just plug into a plain non inverted generator and it will run fine on those back up power sources.

Aflex Cflex or cflex plus exhalation relive.
Cflex is about like EPR. Aflex CFLEX plus are more flow based.

More info on screen than s9 with a twist of a knob inluding periodic breathing and percent of night in large leak plus AHi.
On sleepy head PRS1 shows more info unless you go to A10 for her.

Get the heated tube. With it you will not have rain out on the PRS1 using the lowest temp setting so you dont have breathe hot air if you dont want too.

The Resmed is a good machine no doubt.
PRS1 just has alot more going for it in a lot of different areas . JMO
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2016, 11:00 AM)Geniale Wrote: I'm hesitating between these two machines:

Hi Geniale,

Those are both very fine machines for standard Obstructive Sleep Apnea, but neither of those "APAP" machines are able to treat UARS as well as a bilevel machine can.

I suggest saving up and getting the Gently Used Respironics System One DS760 BIPAP Auto, as suggested in this post:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid145861

Yes, it would take a little more money up front, but I think the long term protection of your health and quality of life (by adequately treating your UARS) is what is most important. And really, in the long run, the BiPAP Auto would not cost much more.

Good luck whichever way you choose,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have both a Resmed S9 Autoset and a PRS1 Series sixty Remstar Cpap with C Flex...no contest PR Remstar wins hands down with the results achieved..
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  csa machines cexer 1 73 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 671 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Second opinion on a sleep study spudhorse 18 962 01-09-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Central vs. OA Events: Switching Machines or Tweaking Current CPAP Settings? fjones416 4 498 12-14-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Difference in Machines SufiMindtricks 8 594 11-26-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines britincanada 505 83,112 11-12-2023, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Angry [Equipment] KILLER STORY ON PHILLIPS CPAP MACHINES srlevine1 10 2,016 11-03-2023, 08:27 AM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.