Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] aDS2 Modem Setup
aDS2 Modem Setup
New here; just joined looks like great place for OSA and CPAP info...thanks to whoever started this.

Could not find this answer elsewhere, but if it exists please point me there. 

Just received my recall replacement DreamStation 2 aCAP. I have ordered the clinician detailed setup manual for my new Philips-Respironics DreamStation 2 Auto CPAP Advanced. So maybe the answer is to just wait for that.

I have outright owned my machine for 3+ years and I have no specific compliance check need. My original DME experience was more than horrible so I have no dealings with them. They never did any follow up after the first week with the machine and I never received any supplies from them after the original machine. So I had my PCP send my script to an online CPAP supplier and I buy all my script required supplies through them. However, it appears my old DS1 was still calling the original DME or at least that is the impression I have from my conversation with Phillips about my replacement DS2 order/shipment.

So now that I have the new DS2 I want to check the modem. I know it did call someone as I can see that in the menu. I would like to see the number it is calling and delete that or just turn off the modem I don't like any of my info going to the DME who has zero need for it nor do I like the idea they (or anyone) can just call my machine (or wait for it to call them) and change settings. Heck, I don't even want them knowing when I sleep or how long.

I know how to enter Clinician mode but I don't see any way in those menus to change modem settings. Am I missing it or is there some other trick?

NoSnoreDave (now)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: aDS2 Modem Setup
There’s no way to permanently disable the cellular modem from the outside. You can put it in airplane mode, but that turns off after a few days.

The modem is soldered onto the logic board, so you can’t remove it.

It might be possible to hobble it by clipping the soldered wires leading to the cellular antenna, or maybe less destructively by wrapping the ribbon antenna with a faraday cage material, but those require dismantling the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply.

I was aware that the modem is now integrated so unlike DS it can't be physically removed. I was expecting that "somewhere" there is a way to just turn it off. Or at a min. delete or change the number the modem calls.

In reviewing the docs, I can't find any reference to the number the modem calls. It seems that has to be set somehow unless all modems regardless of DME call Phillips and the DMEs then access their patients through Phillips. Is this the method they are using?

Yes, I could put the modem in airplane mode. But as noted it resets after 3 days. I suspect if try turning air plane mode off and back on, the modem will automatically call as soon as it is turned off and then probably you won't or can't get back into airplane mode. At best the first time I forget to toggle off/on or when the device is plugged back in, the modem will call.

Does resetting the device wipe out the number the modem is programmed to call? It does I believe wipe out the PIN if set.

Does setting a PIN lock out modem access for downloading changes? I would expect dat uploads would not be halted by adding a PIN.
Post Reply Post Reply
NoSnoreDave,

To the best of my knowledge the machine does not dial anything.  It is a cellular data connection (much like your internet connection) that is likely programmed with some server IP's of PR.

Think of it like your smartphone.  Your smartphone constantly "phones home" to different things to check for updates and such, all without dialing anything.

And, no, resetting your machine will not get rid of it.  It's programmed into the firmware/communications module to work that way.

Unfortunately we are stuck with airplane mode, or internally disconnecting the antenna/communications module.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Starting to make more sense. Who/what database is the modem contacting? I am now assuming them modem contacts some Phillips site to up load. Then if DME is monitoring or intervening, it the DME logs into the Phillips site and accesses the database using Orchestra (or something).

For me, the key point is the device is talking “only” to Phillips and not to some hacked server the crappy DME has setup.

While I am meh for my device that I own, sending my data to Phillips. I am pretty adamant the my device is not (directly at least) transmitting data to my original DME with whom I have had any contact for years. Before we agreed to cease contacts, we were nearing legal actions.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-18-2022, 04:30 PM)NoSnoreDave Wrote:  Who/what database is the modem contacting? 

I can only speculate at this point...

These units are mass produced (including the communications module) so it is likely that they are going to a Phillips server (or some trusted third party like CloudFlare) for storage of the data.  It should only be telemetry data with no personal info included, but that is just a best guess.
Phillips probably has no idea which units will go to any particular DME so it is unlikely that machines are custom programmed for a particular vendor.  That would create a nightmare for for troubleshooting issues also.  But the DME still has access to the data in the cloud (based on the S/N of the machine) through their software.  Since Phillips and ResMed do not deal directly with patients you would need to contact the DME in question and have them remove your S/N from their database, if that is still an option.

I am not a big fan of these machines "phoning home" so to speak.  I purchased mine outright from an online DME, so I own it.  I should have some say as to what happens with MY data, but no such luck.  We are stuck with workarounds to keep our data from being sent into the cloud, or move to a very rural area where there is no cell coverage!  Smile
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Based on the traffic from a Wi-Fi modem, data is being uploaded to Philips.

The DMEs are then able to get a data feed for their registered machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks  For the confirmation
Post Reply Post Reply
Is a Cilinician Manual available online?
Post Reply Post Reply
My $0.02 with replacing a recalled DS1 with a DS2........

My DS1 was registered with DreamMapper. This initial registration was done through my DME to the Philips folks that run the Orchestrator software. My DME does have access to Orchestrator and they can change settings per a doctors orders (don't think they would arbitrarily make a setting change without a prescript). While Philips has access to all data and ability to set the machine, I believe it's most in the hands of the DME.

When I received the replacement DS2 I powered it on. Evidently when it powered up, it called home and let Philips know I had it and changed the machine registration serial number in DreamMapper from the DS1 to the DS2. The new DS2 also had the settings from my DS1 loaded (not sure if this happened during the initial boot and were downloaded via the cell modem or sometime prior).

I believe Philips may have been in touch with the DME regarding the DS2 replacement as I had called the DME and they had all the new DS2 information in their records just a short time after I had received it. Being that a CPAP machine is a medical device I fully suspect the machines serial number tracks to which DME the machine goes to, as well to which individual is using it.

If the OP is registered for the DreamMapper software and the DS1 still shows up as the registered machine after powering on the new DS2, I suspect any data being uploaded via the DS2 cell modem may not be going anywhere or least not to the DME. Only two methods of data transfer can be done, via the internal cell modem or via Bluetooth to a local cell phone or tablet. There is no direct WiFi connection going on within the DS2, although it may send the BT collected data via WiFi from the cell phone or tablet if the WiFi is enabled.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 102 4 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,678 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,612 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] Replacement Cellular Modem DMAllen 18 5,796 02-25-2024, 05:36 AM
Last Post: Neo2020
Thumbsup NEW MEMBER INFO: GET YOUR OWN [secret] CPAP SETUP MANUAL SuperSleeper 1 1,940 02-17-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Does my ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto have a modem? Morseman 4 261 02-05-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 249 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.