Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP after a week
CPAP after a week
(05-21-2014, 07:39 PM)cheesedips Wrote: Using for a week now. Cant tell much difference really. Am i supposed to feel great or something. ? Thought it would make a huge difference..

I have been using the machine for almost a week also, but noticed some improvements, such as nocturne bathroom visits...

on the other hand, i have some other issues such as small morning headaches and eyes...

one more thing, my doctor diagnosed my case as an OSA based on the sleep study, the machine's report is indicating a central apnea high rate and a negligible OSA...

Appreciate your HELP and SUPPORT

thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Using cpap with nasal mask now so...
So you have a good machine with full data (Autoset).

What are you AHI and leak numbers looking like?

You have Rescan so you can post your charts and get more help. Also consider adding SleepyHead -- both programs offer some advantages to viewing and understanding the data more easily than the other. I look at both almost every time I load data.

Note that even with PERFECT treatment you may not "feel" much better for weeks, months, or sometimes even longer.

The reduced nocturia is frequently one of the first positive signs with a real quality of life benefit. You are already seeing the bathroom visits decline which if consistent is a VERY GOOD sign (mine own went immediately from 2-6 per night to almost never more than 1, and quite often none.)

Those with Central Apnea may need a different type of machine if the severity is sufficient.

Sometimes, just capping the top number on the APAP can remove (some of) those also -- we need to see your charts to determine if there are patterns (e.g., higher pressure leads to more CA).

Also, looking at the LENGTH of the event and the CLUSTERING of multiple events. A cluster of long events is much worse for you than a bunch of short isolated events spread over time.

You are actually doing quite well -- settling into the machine and seek help.

That puts you far ahead of 80% of new CPAP users.

Keep it up. People here will help.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2014, 08:34 AM)herbm Wrote: So you have a good machine with full data (Autoset).

What are you AHI and leak numbers looking like?

You have Rescan so you can post your charts and get more help. Also consider adding SleepyHead -- both programs offer some advantages to viewing and understanding the data more easily than the other. I look at both almost every time I load data.

Note that even with PERFECT treatment you may not "feel" much better for weeks, months, or sometimes even longer.

The reduced nocturia is frequently one of the first positive signs with a real quality of life benefit. You are already seeing the bathroom visits decline which if consistent is a VERY GOOD sign (mine own went immediately from 2-6 per night to almost never more than 1, and quite often none.)

Those with Central Apnea may need a different type of machine if the severity is sufficient.

Sometimes, just capping the top number on the APAP can remove (some of) those also -- we need to see your charts to determine if there are patterns (e.g., higher pressure leads to more CA).

Also, looking at the LENGTH of the event and the CLUSTERING of multiple events. A cluster of long events is much worse for you than a bunch of short isolated events spread over time.

You are actually doing quite well -- settling into the machine and seek help.

That puts you far ahead of 80% of new CPAP users.

Keep it up. People here will help.

I thank you for the valuable info.

i have a Resmed S9 Autoset machine and installed the Resscan software, which I am learning to use and interpret the data downloaded from the SD card

My AHI is sometime as low as 1.2 (two days ago) and fluctuating up to around 5. the CA is ~90% of the events and OSA number is at the mere 0.2-0.3

No leakage is indicated by the machine. Average used Hours is over 6 hours per night. maximum Pressure 10.1. the CPAP pressure settings were 5-12...

yesterday I did the 1 week report, and still trying to interpret the results, too many issues and dont know really where to look at...

Do you think I am on the good track and have the right machine and settings?

Thanks again for encouraging and support
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] CPAP after a week
Hi acf,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2014, 12:19 AM)acf Wrote: I thank you for the valuable info.

i have a Resmed S9 Autoset machine and installed the Resscan software, which I am learning to use and interpret the data downloaded from the SD card

My AHI is sometime as low as 1.2 (two days ago) and fluctuating up to around 5. the CA is ~90% of the events and OSA number is at the mere 0.2-0.3

No leakage is indicated by the machine. Average used Hours is over 6 hours per night. maximum Pressure 10.1. the CPAP pressure settings were 5-12...

yesterday I did the 1 week report, and still trying to interpret the results, too many issues and dont know really where to look at...

Do you think I am on the good track and have the right machine and settings?

Thanks again for encouraging and support

Your numbers sound good. The CA is a little high in relation to the OA, but is still very good... Often higher CA happens when we first start a therapy, or modify it much. So what you want to do now is just monitor things for a few days at least, and see where the numbers go.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] CPAP after a week
Yes, you are on the right track.

There might be some small adjustments your doc will make at the follow-up visit.

AHI 5 is a little on the high side of "good enough" -- 5 or less is considered "treated" but this is a first approximation of what your final pressure range will be so that's actually great.

Most likely would be for the doc to cap your high pressure a little lower than your current max, but that would also need to consider what pressure your machine is using when you get those CAs. Having almost all CAs means you MAY not need quite so much pressure to prevent the obstructive events. And the number of CAs is still not excessive (since you are at AHI 5 OR LESS.)

If your doc were to leave the machine as is, your health would almost certainly improve over the coming months and years so already you are getting good therapy.

No one can say how long it will take for you to feel MARKEDLY better.

For my part, I never really felt "bad" (nor groggy, sleepy, confused, forgetful etc.) despite an AHI 49 -- but I like my therapy (actively LIKE it while wearing the mask) and know that my body is healing or at least not deteriorating so fast due to lack of good sleep and near constant "almost waking up."

Plus: Very few bathroom trips -- that's a good thing right there.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP after a week
(05-28-2014, 09:56 AM)herbm Wrote: Yes, you are on the right track.

There might be some small adjustments your doc will make at the follow-up visit.

AHI 5 is a little on the high side of "good enough" -- 5 or less is considered "treated" but this is a first approximation of what your final pressure range will be so that's actually great.

Most likely would be for the doc to cap your high pressure a little lower than your current max, but that would also need to consider what pressure your machine is using when you get those CAs. Having almost all CAs means you MAY not need quite so much pressure to prevent the obstructive events. And the number of CAs is still not excessive (since you are at AHI 5 OR LESS.)

If your doc were to leave the machine as is, your health would almost certainly improve over the coming months and years so already you are getting good therapy.

No one can say how long it will take for you to feel MARKEDLY better.

For my part, I never really felt "bad" (nor groggy, sleepy, confused, forgetful etc.) despite an AHI 49 -- but I like my therapy (actively LIKE it while wearing the mask) and know that my body is healing or at least not deteriorating so fast due to lack of good sleep and near constant "almost waking up."

Plus: Very few bathroom trips -- that's a good thing right there.

Hello Herbm,

I really thank you for your valuable support and info, you are better than my doctor (I decided to change him...)

I just used the RESSCAN Software to plot the one month compliance report and another detailed one.

Everything seems to be in order:

Average Daily Usage 6:41
Compliance percentage 96.7%
Maximum Leak 4.8 L/min
AI: 3.2 (Started High and decreased markedly after 3 days of usage)
HI: 0.4
OSA: 0.3
CSA: 2.9 (Started to notice those during Awake-Sleep transition period...)

Pressure
Maximum: 10.3
Median Pressure : 6.2
95th percentile: 8.5

The machine settings are 5-12, do you think I should consider lowering the Upper Bound Value and by how much?

On the other hand, I personally feel much better, NO nocturnal bathroom visits, fresh morning wake ups, minor sleepy afternoon periods (I think related to previous night late sleep...), I manage to walk 2-3 nights per week for at least one hour with neighbors, I got used to the machine and tube and have no issues thereto...

Thank GOD I think I am on the good track ...

Nevertheless, as I mentioned before, I will take the report and seek the advice of another Doctor (I am still a little bit confused about the CSA).

Thanks Again for ALL

Best,
ACF

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2014, 12:35 AM)acf Wrote: (I am still a little bit confused about the CSA).

It's common for your CSA to drop as you adapt to CPAP therapy. Your body is adjusting, it's not used to getting all this oxygen so your brain doesn't tell your body to breathe because it figures you've got plenty of it. It'll stop when it figures out that this is the new normal.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Now it makes sense Smile

Thanks a lot

Best,
ACF
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ACF,

Your results look great. Even the CA number is nothing to get excited about. Just keep doing what you've been doing.

Good job!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 107 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 5 486 03-09-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: phillyfan24
  [NEW USER] First Week - Help Getting Oriented rarmstrong26 4 202 03-05-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: rarmstrong26
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 223 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 682 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  My Mother did an In-Lab sleep study last week. Phaleronic 4 503 11-22-2023, 05:03 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  First week CPAP. Had such high hopes...advice tuumi2000 2 564 09-16-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: tuumi2000

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.