Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP air filter
CPAP air filter
One thing I do to improve the filtering process of the air filter on my ResMed AirSense AutoSet 10, is to give it a small shot of hairspray on both sides. 

Just a very brief spray will suffice. It provides the filter with a tacky film that will catch / hold particulates smaller than what it was designed to do. 

The same process will improve the air filter in your home as well. You just need to use more of it.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP air filter
Sounds nuts to me. You want to breathe that carcinogenic crap?

On April first, maybe ...
Post Reply Post Reply
Along the same lines, I only vaguely remember a post from several months ago in which someone was planning to customize his mask by getting some plastic glue/cement/whatever and patching or modifying something in the frame. Say what? You want to breathe those fumes? <shrug> Well, it's your funeral ...

And yeah, I know that glue sniffing went out long ago, when the (late lamented) Ramones were teenagers, because the formulas of that stuff were all modified to make the stuff different and non-euphoria-inducing and so on ... but harmless? No chance. Whatever the petrochemical compound might be, I suggest reading the warnings on the label and looking up the MSDS for it and reading available web pages about adverse health effects of inhaling its fumes, before using it on a mask or a filter or a hose or a humidifier.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2018, 05:41 PM)Fats Drywaller Wrote: Along the same lines, I only vaguely remember a post from several months ago in which someone was planning to customize his mask by getting some plastic glue/cement/whatever and patching or modifying something in the frame.  Say what?  You want to breathe those fumes?  <shrug>  Well, it's your funeral ...

And yeah, I know that glue sniffing went out long ago, when the (late lamented) Ramones were teenagers, because the formulas of that stuff were all modified to make the stuff different and non-euphoria-inducing and so on ... but harmless?  No chance.  Whatever the petrochemical compound might be, I suggest reading the warnings on the label and looking up the MSDS for it and reading available web pages about adverse health effects of inhaling its fumes, before using it on a mask or a filter or a hose or a humidifier.

Life is a risk in and of itself. Women (and some men) having been using hairspray for decades and decades. 

I didn't say anything about soaking a filter in it. It dries within a few seconds. I do it once when new and it sits out for hours and hours until bedtime. 

I was a police officer for 30 yrs. Prior to that, I was in the military. I've been riding motorcycles for well over 55 yrs. So yes, I'm accustomed to taking some risks here and there. 

A tiny touch of hairspray on a little air filter to enhance it's performance? Yeah.....I'll take that risk.  Rolleyes
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2018, 05:50 PM)Big Guy Wrote: A tiny touch of hairspray on a little air filter to enhance it's performance? Yeah.....I'll take that risk.  Rolleyes

There's a huge difference between foolishly taking that risk and suggesting (even implicitly) that other people should do so.

Hey, everybody! I drive a car without using a seat belt and I ride a motorcycle without using a helmet, have done so for years, and it hasn't killed me yet! I recommend it! What have you got to lose?

But in this case what you're suggesting is even more bizarrely unnecessary. Why would anyone even think that it'd be a good idea to put hair spray on a CPAP filter? What a completely unnecessary and off-the-wall idea. That's why I mentioned April first: it sounds like trolling.
Post Reply Post Reply
I doubt that dried hairspray will harm you. On the other hand I think you end up having to replace the filters more often as they would clog up quicker. Without the sticky spray you can pull out the filter and flick it with your finger to knock off loose dust and put it back in.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2018, 05:58 PM)Fats Drywaller Wrote:
(11-12-2018, 05:50 PM)Big Guy Wrote: A tiny touch of hairspray on a little air filter to enhance it's performance? Yeah.....I'll take that risk.  Rolleyes

There's a huge difference between foolishly taking that risk and suggesting (even implicitly) that other people should do so.

Hey, everybody!  I drive a car without using a seat belt and I ride a motorcycle without using a helmet, have done so for years, and it hasn't killed me yet!  I recommend it!  What have you got to lose?

But in this case what you're suggesting is even more bizarrely unnecessary.  Why would anyone even think that it'd be a good idea to put hair spray on a CPAP filter?  What a completely unnecessary and off-the-wall idea.  That's why I mentioned April first: it sounds like trolling.

I wonder just how many on here smoke cigarettes, drink alcohol to excess, or use drugs? 

You're certainly entitled to an opinion. You're making a big deal out of something that wasn't. Others have suggested dabbing cotton balls in some kind of scent and placing them in front of the air intake on their machines. 

Hair spray is a long ways off from being chloroform. You need to loosen up those straps on your head gear. I suspect they're putting too much pressure on your brain.  Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
I do think it 'might' enhance efficacy, but as walla walla opines, it will also help to clog them that much faster.  I guess it boils down to....what do ya want?   Cheap 'n long lasting, or more costly due to more frequent replacements (because they do the job better).

I use a couple of spray adhesives, included El Cheapo hairspray, to make model trees for my train layout.  I make armatures, tease apart natural fiber furnace filters to create branchlets and bows, spray, and sprinkle flocking and dyed ground foam over the sprayed fiber bits.  The sprays stay sticky, meaning (to me) that they are issuing volatiles that are probably not designed by the Big Guy for our lungs.

If it were up to me, and I wanted to improve the efficacy of the filters, I'd think of the oil bath principle and maybe spray the filter with mineral oil or something more neutral.  So far, no urge to do that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ease up, both of you. No more insulting suggestions, no more rancour.

If this persists I will request the thread be closed - at a minimum.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW, CPAP filters can be inexpensive. I just bought a box of 24 that was $10, and I consider that reasonable even though it's still overpriced. It's low enough that I don't care. (I'm gonna fuss about 42 cents per month?) Before searching for and finding those, I briefly considered looking for a sheet of the same material, buying that, and cutting it up, but nah, why bother.

And for anyone who gets 'em via insurance every month, it's a non-problem.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 1,033 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Filter types vs. original for AirSense 10 fotjon 3 201 03-21-2024, 12:57 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  ResMed S10 Air Filter Options MoreBeers 9 1,985 12-08-2023, 12:34 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
Wink Replacing filter fiber in N30i and P30i QuietAir vents - possible! PurpleOx 2 3,308 08-16-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Konomoose
  [Equipment] cleaning the filter on a nasal mask msherman1000 3 971 06-23-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: YipeekiOH
  Adding a true HEPA filter to APAP for california wild fire smoke Stom 25 5,897 03-23-2023, 09:15 AM
Last Post: JLRINCT
  AirSense 10 & 11 filter comparison ejbpesca 0 896 02-21-2023, 05:02 AM
Last Post: ejbpesca

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.