Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP and Bronchitis Don't Mix!
RE: CPAP and Bronchitis Don't Mix!
For those of us with histories of allergy, sinus, asthma, bronchial, and other lung issues, it is important to keep our equipment clean. We are more susceptible to the crap that can take up residence in the warm, moist areas, especially the hoses. This is why I change out my hoses often.

I still can't believe a doc said to stop CPAP use. I can perhaps maybe see if it is an extreme sinus issue and the pressure would aggravate it. But when humidification would help? And then there's getting good sleep and keeping oxygen levels up? Ridiculous.

And yeah, I'm an opinionated cuss. And I'm not even old yet!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Well Paula and I may not agree on everything (she's still P10 resistant) but I certainly do agree that using CPAP if you have lung issues is a downright plus. I used to visit the ER on occasion because I couldn't breath. That could certainly happen again, but it hasn't happened since I started CPAP therapy.

But, the secret could be because I use a P10 mask. Who knows?

Post Reply Post Reply
Well, it obviously has nothing to do with the P10 mask! Huhsign Big Grin

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I've never heard about any doc saying to stop cpap use. Even when I was in respiratory failure they put me on bipap until they got me on the vent. The same thing for asthma and pneumonia.

My outpatient pulmonologist also works as an attending in my local hospitals ICU and cicu wards. He has told me many times to never stop cpap use. He also has used high pressure cpap in the hospital during my acute asthma attacks. He also told me that cpap is commonly used by paramedics on patients having acute attacks from heart failure.

Just saying that I would ask your doc for a specific documented reason why you shouldn't use your cpap. Any doc that answers this with it's my expert/medical belief etc most likely doesn't know enough or know any better. They are making an order out of a good faith based on what they believe to be true and not based on any facts.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been sick for the last two weeks with a bad cold and coughing. My doc says stay on CPAP.
I also have a history of allergys and sinus problems. I can breath much better at night than in the daytime because of CPAP. I can't imagine being without it. Unsure

Hey multime, nice to see you back. How have you been feeling? Smile

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I could not imagine going a night without my cpap. On top of already feeling like crap, your doc wants you to feel worse by screwing with your sleep? I don't think so. I would still use the cpap and tell him where to put his advice, but that's just me. please forgive the grumpiness, I haven't had my coffee yet. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2015, 08:27 AM)OpalRose Wrote:
Hey multime, nice to see you back. How have you been feeling? Smile

I'm doing better now. Let's just say the poo didn't just hit the fan. It hit the walls and destroyed the house. Yup that sums up how bad thing got.Oh-jeez No worries though.Okay

Now if only I could do something about the heat and humidity.Thumbs-down-1
Post Reply Post Reply
So two weeks later, here's my update.

I stayed off CPAP for two nights. It helped. I know you all disagree, but this was my experience. It may have been because the bronchitis was very deep. Not upper respiratory. The inhalers helped. And two nights later I was back on the machine, albeit with less humidity (not needed!)

Honestly, with all the repeated racking coughs I was quite glad to not be masked up (even the P10)!

Post Reply Post Reply
A few weeks ago , I had a severe fever , no upper respiratory symptoms , no mucus or cough, no phlegm etc. After a week of this fever , I had enough and went to the emergency room at night. There was no line so I got tested and admitted in quickly. The at this medical center are very professional and efficient. The location and name of this facility will remain anonymous in this post. The doctor who received me asked several questions about the fever and my symptoms , he took X-Rays of my lungs and then told me there is a chance this is either a mild pneumonia and a sinus infection combined. He prescribed zythromicine pack that straight away cured the symptoms of fever three days fever later.

He asked I come back for a check up but after receiving the bill from the hospital for that 20 minute visit , I decided not to. Needless to say no symptoms since . I use a CPAP and I stopped using it during the fever since I had a fear that it might be a respiratory infection caused by unseen microbial bacteria or mold.

As much as I needed a restful sleep something about the machine started to make me question the reasons I got sick in the first place. When I was in the emergency room I recalled the doctor asking me if I used a CPAP , when I told him I did he wrote this down. I asked why , is there a connection. He said that there isn't any conclusive evidence for it but that he had noticed CPAP users often come in with similar symptoms. I know that this forum is pro CPAP , I am not advising we stop using them. Obviously the need for oxygen and a restful sleep is paramount to healing and getting good sleep , energy and avoiding cardiac issues. I found this site for any information on this exact topic . Yet instead I find when someone posts the mere hint that the CPAP is the source of any possible negative results is an aggressive denial.

I find it important that there might be possibility that infections, water in lungs and breathing issues related to CPAPs and their subsequent design flaws might be worth questioning .

They are tools we use constantly to help with our breathing , they are enclosed in a specific measured space and enclosed environment that is by comparison smaller than our own esophageal passageways & lung capacity. Also they are not self cleaning and they are prone to biological bacteria , dust and residual mold from this material and liquid. I thoroughly wash my machine, its water receptacle and all the parts. Despite all this I find that unless I go over every tubular crevice with a antibacterial wash or every nook in the water container with a tooth brush , there will be material and bacteria that may go through. Also I want to stress we live at home and this is not a sterile environment . We do not live in a hospital and we do not have access to material methods or time to ensure a pristine method that will insure our lungs and sinus are breathing bacteria proof air . When you are in a hospital environment everything is clean and sterile to make sure that infections, virus and bacteria do not get spread. I have been using my machine since the fever. Yet I recently noticed a gurgling sound from my lungs when I exhale. Will see a doctor to make sure , but until I am certain that this is unrelated , I will discontinue use of the cpap device

I have noticed a connection with my repository issues when ever I get sick and question if they happen because of a design error related to the CPAP.

I am not taking anymore chances.

I will test this theory by not using it for a week to see how my lungs react I was lucky that the pneumonia did not affect my health in a serious way and I am not certain that the CPAP did not have any thing to do with the infection to begin with .

Perhaps we should not rule out all possibility of the CPAP having anything to do with this sudden and serious respiratory issue. Do not be too quick to dismiss the possibility that an enclosed wet environment circulating air may be the cause of infection from either bacteria- mold etc . This is well within the realm of possibility

Post Reply Post Reply
You are far more likely to get an infection from anyone you talk to than from your CPAP machine if it is cleaned regularly. The pressure from a CPAP machine at full blast is only about an added 2% of normal sea level pressure.

A gurgling or wheezing sound on breathing out fully is normal for asthma and asthma is not a contraindication for CPAP. Apnea WILL take many years off your life if left untreated. I urge you to talk to your doctor BEFORE you stop the CPAP, not after.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.