Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP and Bronchitis Don't Mix!
RE: CPAP and Bronchitis Don't Mix!
I had my doctor's appointment today. He said that I definitely seem to have had a virus 4 weeks ago. It's long-gone now, but an infection has now settled into my chest. He said that my chest is rattling a lot and I have a fever. He said it has been a long time since I was on an antibiotic, so he put me on one. Then he told me to go home and rest.

I asked him about the CPAP machine and bronchitis, as to whether or not it could cause a problem if I have bronchitis. He just shook his head and basically went, "Nah." So I felt re-assured.

I haven't even been on CPAP for 6 months, so I wasn't sure what to do. I searched "bronchitis and CPAP" and had landed on this thread. I didn't realize until I read the rest of the replies later that it was an older thread.

But for anyone who was curious about the results, there ya go.

Post Reply Post Reply
I got a really lousy score on my air leaks last night though. I kept waking up with my mouth open and then I'd start coughing. Oh well. I will persevere. Anyway, I guess I'll cut this off now. I guess it's too old of a thread. But I felt I had to finish what I started anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply
Had to give my machine up also..big inner ear problems after a severe head cold and bronchitis...now suffering vertigo. I am worried about not continuing the cpap treatment but have to find out if it is responsible for inner ear issues. The respiratory tech says she has never heard of it but when I Google " Cpap and inner ear" I see lots of reports of people having the same problem. it's upsetting.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2016, 09:36 PM)Jackiep Wrote: Had to give my machine up also..big inner ear problems after a severe head cold and bronchitis...now suffering vertigo. I am worried about not continuing the cpap treatment but have to find out if it is responsible for inner ear issues. The respiratory tech says she has never heard of it but when I Google " Cpap and inner ear" I see lots of reports of people having the same problem. it's upsetting.

CPAP can make ear issues worse - It is listed on the things to watch for from Resmed, IIRC. However, Apnea is no joke, and there are things you can do to minimize ear issues.

I had a bout of benign paroxysmal positional vertigo about a year or so back and wondered the same, but while I was dealing with that I had to fly, and in preparation for the flight I bought some "earplanes" because I was really afraid the BPPV would worsen from the pressure of landing... and lo and behold when i stuck the earplanes in something shifted and the vertigo went away!

I have a lot of issues with sinuses and ears. Have that flat angle on the eustachian tubes between ears and nose like a little kid (short face). I keep my ears and nose clear and clean with a xylitol nasal spray. I make my own, but it is sold as "Xlear" (clear). I just returned home from a weeks round trip to the bay area for work, and had no issues whatsoever with my ears, and I use my CPAP 100% of the time when I sleep.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2016, 08:30 PM)Greyfort7 Wrote: I got a really lousy score on my air leaks last night though. I kept waking up with my mouth open and then I'd start coughing. Oh well. I will persevere. Anyway, I guess I'll cut this off now. I guess it's too old of a thread. But I felt I had to finish what I started anyway.

When I have guck in my chest I turn up the humidifier to max... really helps!

honestly - i turned it up with last gucky episode and left it up. Have had a couple virals that didn't go there since doing that.

Post Reply Post Reply
Guck! Is that one of those scientific terms? I was really amazed, I googled it and got definitions. After "benign paroxysmal positional vertigo" I was almost afraid to google it. Big Grin Big Grin

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2016, 11:28 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Guck! Is that one of those scientific terms? I was really amazed, I googled it and got definitions. After "benign paroxysmal positional vertigo" I was almost afraid to google it. Big Grin Big Grin

Dielaughing

Post Reply Post Reply
My humidity seems to be on auto, but it does use up all of the water overnight. It's probably because we have no humidifier on the furnace. It's good to know that it can help me.

My biggest problem has been that I have always had chronic nosebleeds. I was at the point where I'd have to go to the hospital whenever I had a nosebleed, because they were so severe and wouldn't stop. I stopped blowing my nose completely and now do a very gentle saline rinse routine. I hadn't had a nosebleed in 3 1/2 years, but since I got my CPAP machine, I've had 3 or 4 of them, which really upsets me. So far I haven't had one severe enough to send me to the hospital, gratefully.

About a decade ago, I had two colds within about 3 months. On the second virus, it got into my ear and I spent 9 or 10 months on disability because I was so dizzy, just moving around made me feel sea sick. The doctor (same one I have now) had me go through a ton of tests. After nothing else turned up, the verdict was the virus in my inner ear. The only cure was time.

If that ever happened to me, I think I'd push for trying a dental device. I've been 100% compliant with my CPAP machine, but if I get to the point where my nosebleeds are sending me to the hospital again, we could have a problem.

This definitely takes getting used to. I used to be a really good sleeper. I fell asleep within minutes of going to bed and I woke up 7 hours later, feeling completely refreshed. I was not tired during the day. I was not cranky. I never felt like I was going to sleep while driving. I had no symptoms whatsoever of sleep apnea. You could have knocked me over with a feather when they said I had it. The doctor made me do a sleep study because of my obesity.

Now I hate going to bed, I get up way too early and I won't ever nap during the day. A few times I've awaken throwing that stupid mask off me. It has destroyed my love of sleeping. I really hate it, but I have stuck with it. Only the fear they put into you if you don't wear it has kept me going with it. I don't like it, but I will continue.

Thanks for replying when I probably should have made my own post in the first place.
Post Reply Post Reply
Greyfort7, 2 things for nosebleeds.

Add Xylitol to your saline, it moistens the tissues rather than drying them out. Make sure you are using a more hypotonic solution (eg: 1/4tsp pure salt in 1c water) rather than hypertonic (1/2 tsp in 1c water) and in that same cup of water add a tbsp xylitol. If you are going to use it as a spray rather than a rinse, put in 4 drops GSE (Grapefruit Seed Extract) If you would rather buy it made, try Xlear.

Take Guaifenesin. I prefer Mucinex as it is time-released

Post Reply Post Reply
Greyfort7,
+1 for the Xylitol. But I just purchase it from Amazon. Much easier. Blowing-nose

You could also add a small stand alone humidifier for your bedroom.

Oh, and it's OK to use this thread. There are many older threads that are worth revisiting.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.