Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: CPAP and Bronchitis Don't Mix!
Didn't know Xylitol could be used for ears.

Public Service Announcement: Please keep any Xylitol product away from all dogs. No matter the weight/size of the dog and the amount digested, it is very toxic and deadly to canines. Google "Xylitol and dogs".

From Snopes:
Quote:While Xylitol is safe for humans, it can be harmful to dogs. The compound doesn't affect glucose levels in people, but when ingested by dogs it can cause a dangerous surge of insulin. (In as little as 15 minutes, the blood sugar of a dog that has eaten gum containing Xylitol may register a marked drop in blood sugar.) At higher doses, Xylitol is believed toxic to the canine liver.

Just three grams of Xylitol can kill a 65-pound dog. Because the amount of sweetener used in sugar-free chewing gums varies by manufacturer and product, the number of sticks of gum that would prove fatal to a pooch of that size can't be stated with precision. As a general rule of thumb, between eight and ten pieces of gum might be deadly to a 65-pound canine, but a smaller dog could easily die after ingesting far less (perhaps as few as two sticks of gum)

Apnea Board Moderator

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

03-06-2016 06:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

Sex: Female

Thanks, Paula - that is a good reminder!!! My dog started to go for my kleenex full of xylitol and it was your warnings that made me make sure he didn't get it!

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2016 09:02 PM by DariaVader.)
03-06-2016 09:01 PM
green wings Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics System One RemStar Pro
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: integrated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10.0-20.0 cm (gathering data)

Other Comments: using CPAP since Jan. 2016

Sex: Undisclosed

I have been using CPAP for a couple of months. I was referred for a sleep study because I had developed treatment-resistant hypertension. I never had any daytime sleepiness. I have chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia, so I was used to not waking up feeling rested and well.

I am using my CPAP machine about 70% of the nights, but I am still experiencing psychological resistance to the idea of it from time to time.

I am considering buying a pulse oximeter to use to see what my oxygen saturation while sleeping with the CPAP machine is like compared to not using it.

I feel like having some kind of measurable sign that the CPAP is helping me would help me to use it every single night.

My blood pressure seems to be getting a little better (hard to say for sure yet) and I do have occasional mornings now when I wake up and feel better than I have in years but it's not consistent.

I suppose I wrote all this just to say that I agree that learning to use CPAP consistently is tough for some people. I find this support community to be helpful. Without it, I probably would have tossed the machine, mask, and hose in the garbage by now in spite of the fact that it's not paid for.

(03-06-2016 12:11 AM)Greyfort7 Wrote:  My humidity seems to be on auto, but it does use up all of the water overnight. It's probably because we have no humidifier on the furnace. It's good to know that it can help me.

My biggest problem has been that I have always had chronic nosebleeds. I was at the point where I'd have to go to the hospital whenever I had a nosebleed, because they were so severe and wouldn't stop. I stopped blowing my nose completely and now do a very gentle saline rinse routine. I hadn't had a nosebleed in 3 1/2 years, but since I got my CPAP machine, I've had 3 or 4 of them, which really upsets me. So far I haven't had one severe enough to send me to the hospital, gratefully.

About a decade ago, I had two colds within about 3 months. On the second virus, it got into my ear and I spent 9 or 10 months on disability because I was so dizzy, just moving around made me feel sea sick. The doctor (same one I have now) had me go through a ton of tests. After nothing else turned up, the verdict was the virus in my inner ear. The only cure was time.

If that ever happened to me, I think I'd push for trying a dental device. I've been 100% compliant with my CPAP machine, but if I get to the point where my nosebleeds are sending me to the hospital again, we could have a problem.

This definitely takes getting used to. I used to be a really good sleeper. I fell asleep within minutes of going to bed and I woke up 7 hours later, feeling completely refreshed. I was not tired during the day. I was not cranky. I never felt like I was going to sleep while driving. I had no symptoms whatsoever of sleep apnea. You could have knocked me over with a feather when they said I had it. The doctor made me do a sleep study because of my obesity.

Now I hate going to bed, I get up way too early and I won't ever nap during the day. A few times I've awaken throwing that stupid mask off me. It has destroyed my love of sleeping. I really hate it, but I have stuck with it. Only the fear they put into you if you don't wear it has kept me going with it. I don't like it, but I will continue.

Thanks for replying when I probably should have made my own post in the first place.
03-07-2016 09:40 PM

Donate to Apnea Board