Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP and Bronchitis Don't Mix!
CPAP and Bronchitis Don't Mix!
Two weeks ago I got a bit of a cold. Mucus, phlegm, etc. Took over the counter meds for it. Stuck to my CPAP. Coughing started and got worse. Deep choking coughs. My co-workers kept thinking I was dying on them. My husband slept on the couch so he could sleep.

The CPAP cleared the nasal passages, but it made the lungs worse! The combination of mucus and air pressure irritated deep in my lungs.

Saw the doctor and now on an inhaler and Nasonex for "something like bronchitis, but down deeper" And no CPAP for the next while! Oh, and come back if you are not getting better, in case of pneumonia developing...

So as much as I like my cute machine and P10 pillows I'll leave them off for awhile.

Leaving the note for others, so you can avoid my bronchitis-type event. Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP and Bronchitis Don't Mix!
TR, I believe what you are saying as to your experience. But I very much disagree that CPAP is contra-indicated with any sort of COPD problems. In my particular case when I go through a period of difficult breathing through the day, I very much look forward to masking up so that I can enjoy some relief at night. My O2 level gets pretty down low at times, and the CPAP keeps me perking along all night at 93 when I'm doing well, 91 when I'm not. I even questioned whether or not that could be true, so I bought a recording oximeter just to prove it to myself.

Also, a very interesting observation was made at the Mayo clinic where patients admitted to intensive care for asthma issues were placed on CPAP machines rather than on oxygen. They responded better in a shorter period of time, with fewer deaths reported.

In your case you had a serious bronchitis event, and you should have been prescribed an albuterol or some other inhaler, and probably placed on a short term prednisone regimen. Beyond that, I really don't see what advantage there can be to stop your CPAP therapy. I just personally don't accept discontinuing CPAP therapy for anything short of one's head being removed.

But then, your doc is the one you must listen to. We are all different. Except me. I'm not different. I'm the same.

Post Reply Post Reply
My experience over the past 9 years is that CPAP helps me when I am sick, in fact I seek it out, try to get more sleep etc. Different results for different folks. BTW I use a FFM perhaps a difference?
[size=x-small]Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) BiLevel Auto
Post Reply Post Reply
There is actually no effective treatment for bronchitis. It also doesn't act the same as asthma. You get antibiotics when it becomes apparent that you have pneumonia. In my case, since I had pneumonia in the past, by the time I drag myself into the doc, he gives me antibiotics to keep me out of hospital. It's worked so far.

I haven't had bronchitis in 5 years. Don't know what I'm doing right.

Halls menthol drops (I use sugar free) is as effective as it gets to reduce coughing. Use one just before you go to bed (not on bed because choking hazard).

In the meantime, if you aren't using a Cpap, try using a fan blowing right at your face. Seems to help a lot of people breathe easier. No idea why.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi trailrider,
Hope you get to feelin' better, so you can get back to CPAP therapy and get good sleep again real soon.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Tried to tough it out last winter when I had a good 6 days of severe deep coughing. It was "going around" and lots of people had it, coughing in the supermarket line, in the church pews, etc etc. [Having lived through SARS in Hong Kong, I'm still a bit hyper-alert when people cough or sneeze without even attempting to cover their mouth or nose.]
Only times I could get relief was when I was sleeping with the CPAP. Finally gave up after trying all the various cough remedies I could find, OTC, homeopathic, hot toddies, extra Vit C, immune-boosting teas, etc. Usually those work, or at least keep me to 3 days of upper respiratory.

This time, after 6 days went on a Sunday to the hospital "Express Care" nearby, and after a few minutes on albuterol inhaler, could breathe again. Got antibiotics [Medicare covered] and a scrip for a take-home inhaler [$40+ out of pocket], and it all cleared up. Beats pneumonia though, as I'm 70+ with a prosthetic aortic valve, and I don't need that kind of medical challenge.

With that exception, I've found that when I have a cold, especially one that moves from upper sinuses to bronchials, my CPAP helps. Of course, I clean all the bits after each use, hoping that washing removes viruses as well as bacteria. Sometimes put a drop of colloidal silver in the washup water for the pillows and hoses.

If I feel a bit stuffy at night, I use a quick dissolving soft lozenge that goes by the brand name "Fisherman's Friend." Good stiff attack of some menthol and the airways are happy for the PAP. Dancing
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2015, 10:23 AM)AirSign Wrote: This time, after 6 days went on a Sunday to the hospital "Express Care" nearby, and after a few minutes on albuterol inhaler, could breathe again. Got antibiotics [Medicare covered] and a scrip for a take-home inhaler [$40+ out of pocket], and it all cleared up. Beats pneumonia though, as I'm 70+ with a prosthetic aortic valve, and I don't need that kind of medical challenge.

Oh, yes that so TOTALLY beats getting pneumonia. Takes me many weeks to recover from that and I'm quite a bit younger than you.

I was thinking last night after posting that I stopped getting bronchitis about the time they switched me to a higher dosage of stomach acid blockers. Coincidence? I'm not thinking so.

Yeah, the inhalers help some people. Glad you were one of them. Did nothing for me. :Dont-know

Just to add to the discussion, I found a couple of medical sites that indicate that Cpap CAN increase risk of both sinus infection and bacterial bronchitis in some people. They believe it is caused by bacteria accumulation in the hose, humidifier or mask and suggest better, more frequent cleaning for those getting repeated attacks. On the other hand, I wasn't using a CPAP and getting these kinds of infections several times a year, for about 6 years. They started mysteriously and ended just as mysteriously.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your doctor said WHAT???

That humidification of the CPAP would be great for you. And frankly, for your doctor to tell you to stop doing something that is going to *decrease* your oxygen level when you are already having trouble breathing? He's an idiot.

Perhaps changing to a nasal mask or a FFM might work but stopping CPAP use is nuts. It is not going to help you at all.

I had bronchitis so bad a few falls ago. I was seeing stars every time I coughed. Every movement left me exhausted. My doc was on the verge of hospitalizing me but we decided to give antibiotics a try over the weekend. I used a small humidifier here at my desk and upped the humidification on my CPAP. I napped a lot more just because I always felt so much clearer in the chest when I woke up.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2015, 12:21 AM)Mosquitobait Wrote: snip
Halls menthol drops (I use sugar free) is as effective as it gets to reduce coughing. Use one just before you go to bed (not on bed because choking hazard).

In the meantime, if you aren't using a Cpap, try using a fan blowing right at your face. Seems to help a lot of people breathe easier. No idea why.

While I would not recommend it for anyone else I have been sucking on a Halls for years at night. Pop one into my cheek like a hamster. I keep a pile on the nightstand so if I awake dry and choking I can pop a fresh one. I have so much drainage I must keep the saliva flowing.

The air thing is interesting. People who get airsick often find riding in an open cockpit with the wind in your face prevents even a hint of air sick. On a sailboat going to the bow and have the wind in your face seems to help too.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2015, 03:03 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Your doctor said WHAT???

That humidification of the CPAP would be great for you. And frankly, for your doctor to tell you to stop doing something that is going to *decrease* your oxygen level when you are already having trouble breathing? He's an idiot.

Perhaps changing to a nasal mask or a FFM might work but stopping CPAP use is nuts. It is not going to help you at all.

I had bronchitis so bad a few falls ago. I was seeing stars every time I coughed. Every movement left me exhausted. My doc was on the verge of hospitalizing me but we decided to give antibiotics a try over the weekend. I used a small humidifier here at my desk and upped the humidification on my CPAP. I napped a lot more just because I always felt so much clearer in the chest when I woke up.

Hey don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel! Laugh-a-lot
I have a history of pneumonia and sinus infections and so far cpap seems to be helping my sinuses. GERD is almost gone in the morning too which likely helps the former.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.