Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP and COV-19
CPAP and COV-19
Does anyone have any input on the impact of COV-19 relative to Sleep Apnea CPAP.  For example, if a person in on Home Isolation with some possible symptoms, what issues may arise as to the effect (good or bad) that my result in continued CPAP use.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP and COV-19
It's all only speculation on my part, but I'd think CPAP would not make things worse. The bit of pressure your respiratory system runs under while on CPAP therapy could make it easier to breathe.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is the type of question that is best directed at a physician who can actually discuss your symptoms with some degree of knowledge of your history and order a test for COVID-19 (if warranted) before suggesting more extensive care.  

Unless you are in the vulnerable cohort (senior citizen or underlying medical issues) and exhibiting issues with your breathing, I would first consider you have a common cold or the flu (also viruses, but not the Kung Flu) and proceed accordingly. 

As far as I have seen, the use of a CPAP that promotes sleep and breathing comfort is a good thing. 

Be well.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
This was not a question resulting from a personal experience.  I thought that maybe a large cross section of users on the Forum may have some personal experience to share.
Post Reply Post Reply
For all of us that have a CPAP machine of any flavor and Sleep Apnea in one form or another, Assuming this COVID-19 Coronavirus hits an individual hard.

1. Seek help from the Medical System.
2. Since this is a significant change I would suggest adjusting your settings to optimize for your current situation.
3. Monitor your Oxygen. Pneumonia impacts your breathing, monitor to ensure that your oxygen remains in the 'normal' range of values, if not seek help from the Medical System.

Remember that your device is not a hospital grade ventilator and never will be.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2020, 11:41 PM)srlevine1 Wrote: I would first consider you have a common cold or the flu (also viruses, but not the Kung Flu) ...

How is this the least bit helpful? Can we just stick to commonly-accepted medical or journalistic terminology when taking about this pandemic?
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2020, 01:45 PM)slowriter Wrote:
(03-19-2020, 11:41 PM)srlevine1 Wrote: I would first consider you have a common cold or the flu (also viruses, but not the Kung Flu) ...

How is this the least bit helpful? Can we just stick to commonly-accepted medical or journalistic terminology when taking about this pandemic?
Sorry for the attempt at humor with "Kung Flu"-- I meant "but not the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) which causes the disease designated as COVID-19 (COronaVIrusDisease-2019).

But, the advice is helpful because one should consider they are suffering from the more common effects of the various strains of the "common cold" or "seasonal flu" before jumping to the conclusion that you have the more serious condition and rushing off to find a physician willing to sign-off on a triaged virus antibody test kit. 

Here is a useful chart based on the World Health Organization's symptomology...

[Image: difference-between-cold-flu-coronavirus.jpg?la=en]

I hope this makes you feel better.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
That's more like it!
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
(03-21-2020, 03:18 PM)slowriter Wrote: That's more like it!

What's more like it? 

An unreferenced comment without a more specific antecedent, to quote slowriter, begs the question: "How is this the least bit helpful?"  

Yes, I know what you mean, but I am not so busy picking nits that I couldn't respond to your request for specificity. 

While I generally know and respect what you have written, I am confined to my residence by the California Governor's Executive Order N-33-20 issued on March 19, 2020, and find myself with extra time on my hands.  Wink

Moderator: Feel free to remove this post
Post Reply Post Reply
I am a very strong advocate of PC. Everyone should support it. Personal computers are very helpful.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.