Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP and COV-19
RE: CPAP and COV-19
I have read some material regarding the dangers of xPAP machines creating an aerosol cloud of virus material from exhaled air. Studies have shown the virus can survive for up to 3 hours in aerosol form. Google the recent NIH study about the survivability of the virus on different surfaces. Common sense would dictate that this would be very dangerous to others around the COVID-19 patient using xPAP. Please keep that in mind to keep others around you safe.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just from a common sense perspective, I would say any care-giver who has not been infected with COVID-19 should probably take extreme precautions when working with a patient in the same household.  Ideally, the patient should be in their own room separated from the rest of the residents, with the bedroom door closed except when the caregiver comes in and out.

Ideally, if ambulatory, it would be great if the patient had their own dedicated bathroom that no one else uses.  If weather permits, one might want to open a screened window and stick a fan, facing outward toward the outside of the home to provide some degree of negative pressure in the room so that air circulates from the other rooms and into the patient's room, and then to the outside (not the other way around).

Also, the care-giver should likely wear PPE (N95 or other mask & gloves at a minimum) prior to entering the room, and carefully take it off and dispose of it once outside the room, being careful not to touch the outside "unclean" surfaces of these items when removing the PPE.

Of course, it's for this type and level of necessary care causing the extreme shortage of PPE.  Even in your own home, you could go through an entire box of N95s & gloves in a few short days (assuming you have them already).

It would be very easy to make a simple mistake and become infected.  Care-givers would need to act slowly and methodically during the whole process, I would think.

Thinking-about
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-21-2020, 06:25 PM)srlevine1 Wrote:
(03-21-2020, 03:18 PM)slowriter Wrote: That's more like it!

What's more like it? 

I was responding to your question at the end of the preceding post on whether it made me "feel better."

My issue with the original post was less the lack of detailed information, and more your insertion of an offensive term for the disease. It was only that which I view as "unhelpful."
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2020, 08:06 AM)slowriter Wrote:
(03-21-2020, 06:25 PM)srlevine1 Wrote:
(03-21-2020, 03:18 PM)slowriter Wrote: That's more like it!

What's more like it? 

I was responding to your question at the end of the preceding post on whether it made me "feel better."

My issue with the original post was less the lack of detailed information, and more your insertion of an offensive term for the disease. It was only that which I view as "unhelpful."

Offensive term for the disease? I re-read my post and found nothing offensive unless you have no sense of humor or are supporting the Communist Chinese disinformation campaign to disparage anything which hints, suggests, or claims that the disease originated in China or that the Chicom's were grossly negligent in the handling of the disease which is killing people worldwide. Sorry to have disturbed your PC world, but the term has no connotation to race and has nothing to do with anything but the origin of the disease.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
I actually sort of like the idea for an alternate name for Covid 19. Many we could do some suggestions in the off topic section.
A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures for everything.
Irish Proverb
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-21-2020, 07:19 PM)Maskup N. Sleepwell Wrote: I have read some material regarding the dangers of xPAP machines creating an aerosol cloud of virus material from exhaled air.

Got any citations?  

This sounds like hogwash to me.  You're not going to be exhaling more COVID-19 virus particles on a CPAP machine than without one.  

Viruses can't multiply in your CPAP machine, although they could lodge there.  The total number of virus particles into the environment would be the same over time. Viruses can only replicate inside a living cell.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.