Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

Sex: Female

RE: CPAP and Eye Irritation
(02-27-2015 03:43 PM)Mr. Van Winkle Wrote:  Have to tried wearing a eye mask? (like the one's you would wear if you had to sleep during the daytime), being you like your nasal pillow set up and it working for you try an eye mask at least you could see if you need to do a different mask set up.
Just a thoughDont-know
Hope you can find a solution.
Sleep-well

I have - and if I can keep it on, it helps... however I am also contemplating blaming it for the sty I developed Angry

I bought the one that is on amazon which contains "biomagnets" which are supposed to reduce swelling Big Grin I bought it for its smaller size and lightness though, not the magnets. I have a hard time wearing it either under or over the mask straps, and they do hit me high enough on the face that it is an issue.

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2015 04:19 PM by DariaVader.)
02-27-2015 04:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

(02-27-2015 03:43 PM)Mr. Van Winkle Wrote:  
(02-27-2015 08:25 AM)OpalRose Wrote:  Question for all HoseHeads???

Do you or have you ever suffered from eye irritation while on CPAP?

Now let me start by saying that my therapy is going well. Have gone from untreated AHI of 33 to usually below 1.0 most days. Feel fairly good and adapting well to P10 mask after figuring out I needed a size small nasal pillow instead of extra small. Works better and leak rate good.

The last couple of months have been trying to say the least. Upon waking each morning, my eyes are red, itchy, puffy, and just hurt. It sometimes feels like sandpaper is in them. I also use dry eye drops and eye gels/ointment at night. They don't seem to help. UGH! And no, I didn't start out with dry eyes.

I suspect that the P10 mask could be an issue due to the air that enters nasal passages also going straight to the lacrimal eye ducts, although I don't feel this air
in my eyes.

Now it has been suggested by others to try either the Oracle Mask or the Fit Life Total Face Mask. I have looked into both options, but don't see me using that Oracle Mask because I would then become a mouth breather which I have overcome since using the nasal pillow mask! The Fit Life mask is something I may have to try since I've read on this site and elsewhere that the air pressure is equalized over entire face and eyes won't get irritated. Has anyone used this mask? It would be a big change for me to go from a P10 nasal mask to a Full Face mask.

Any thoughts out there? I can't be the only one who suffers with this eye problem!
Thanks
OpalRose

Have to tried wearing a eye mask? (like the one's you would wear if you had to sleep during the daytime), being you like your nasal pillow set up and it working for you try an eye mask at least you could see if you need to do a different mask set up.
Just a thoughDont-know
Hope you can find a solution.
Sleep-well

Hi Mr. VanWinkle,
I did purchase an eye mask, just wasn't using it very much. I tend to get panicky when everything is dark. Silly isn't it? Just another Phobia! Crazy
I think I will wear it tonight and see if my eyes show improvement.
OpalRose

OpalRose
02-27-2015 05:18 PM
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

(02-27-2015 11:03 AM)AshSF Wrote:  Air leaking from Nasocrimal ducts is a "rare" reason for dry eyes. A more common reason could be your P10 leaking on the side of your nostril and hitting your eyes OR as pollcat suggested (the vented air rebounding into your eyes). Look at your leak rates. It will provide a clue to what is happening. You should post your leak rate overview graph for last 60 days on this thread and also your leak graph of a day when you had this irritation in the morning.

Also, you can try sleeping with a travel sleep mask and evaluate if you still have dry eyes. If you do, then the ducts may be indicted but if no, then its probably a P10 leaking on the sides of your nostril.

You should also try a test of holding your nose and mouth shut and blowing thru your nose. If your ducts don't leak at that pressure then its highly unlikely that they will leak on cpap pressure.

Try eliminate all reasons before you blame the ducts.

In general, its much easier to sleep with the P10 than any FFM or the total face mask.

Well, I slept with my travel sleep mask last night and believe me this mask blocks everything out! It took awhile to fall asleep with it, but my eyes were not as red this morning. Haven't checked leak rate yet, but did post some data prior.
Also just woke up from a 2 hour nap...used sleep mask over my eyes again...easier in the daytime. So checked my AHI on screen for the 2 hours and it was up over 3!!!!
So much for naps.
Oh-jeez
OpalRose

OpalRose
02-28-2015 02:23 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

OpalRose,

If you did not get into a very deep sleep during your nap it is understandable that your AHI was higher than normal.

With regard to your eyes, you might try something that my optometrist suggested to me. I was complaining (before CPAP) about dry, itchy eyes. He explained that the small ducts that carry lubrication to the eyes can get plugged very easily by a number of things including minor infection. What he recommended was warm to hot compresses to the eyelids for a period of time. Then wash eyelids well with an antiseptic soap, rinse well, and dry. Be careful not to get soap into your eye especially if your eyes are dry. This works better for me than any of the eye drops.

It may be possible that air from mask leakage or venting is hitting your eyelids and drying out these ducts causing dry eye and consequent irritation. Hope you find something that helps. If all else fails, you might try setting up something to capture the vented air and run it through a hose down along the CPAP hose far enough to get out from under the covers at the side of the bed and away from your face and let it exhaust there.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2015 01:42 PM by PaytonA.)
03-01-2015 01:41 PM
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Thanks PaytonA for the suggestions. I will try the hot compresses. Blink
OpalRose

OpalRose
03-01-2015 02:09 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Thumbsup Skin irritation from mask seal: solved grumbledore 0 564 02-29-2016 03:09 PM
Last Post: grumbledore
  AirFit N10 Nose irritation wildhorsesfilm 8 1,035 02-03-2016 11:16 AM
Last Post: wildhorsesfilm
  Nose Irritation bperella 5 1,203 11-26-2015 02:00 AM
Last Post: player
Angry Resmed Quattro Full Face Mask skin irritation Mike1980 6 1,872 04-06-2015 11:24 PM
Last Post: Tez62
  Nasal Irritation iwth Nasal Pillows... flyfishinbob 12 3,080 01-31-2015 04:40 AM
Last Post: TheManseHen
  Dealing with Nasal Irritation Lambsydoats 12 1,835 12-05-2014 11:19 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  [Symptoms] NASAL CAVITY IRRITATION OG1964 10 2,053 08-23-2014 09:33 AM
Last Post: Simon M