Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP and Eye Irritation
RE: CPAP and Eye Irritation
(02-27-2015, 03:43 PM)Mr. Van Winkle Wrote: Have to tried wearing a eye mask? (like the one's you would wear if you had to sleep during the daytime), being you like your nasal pillow set up and it working for you try an eye mask at least you could see if you need to do a different mask set up.
Just a thoughDont-know
Hope you can find a solution.
Sleep-well

I have - and if I can keep it on, it helps... however I am also contemplating blaming it for the sty I developed Angry

I bought the one that is on amazon which contains "biomagnets" which are supposed to reduce swelling Big Grin I bought it for its smaller size and lightness though, not the magnets. I have a hard time wearing it either under or over the mask straps, and they do hit me high enough on the face that it is an issue.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2015, 03:43 PM)Mr. Van Winkle Wrote:
(02-27-2015, 08:25 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Question for all HoseHeads???

Do you or have you ever suffered from eye irritation while on CPAP?

Now let me start by saying that my therapy is going well. Have gone from untreated AHI of 33 to usually below 1.0 most days. Feel fairly good and adapting well to P10 mask after figuring out I needed a size small nasal pillow instead of extra small. Works better and leak rate good.

The last couple of months have been trying to say the least. Upon waking each morning, my eyes are red, itchy, puffy, and just hurt. It sometimes feels like sandpaper is in them. I also use dry eye drops and eye gels/ointment at night. They don't seem to help. UGH! And no, I didn't start out with dry eyes.

I suspect that the P10 mask could be an issue due to the air that enters nasal passages also going straight to the lacrimal eye ducts, although I don't feel this air
in my eyes.

Now it has been suggested by others to try either the Oracle Mask or the Fit Life Total Face Mask. I have looked into both options, but don't see me using that Oracle Mask because I would then become a mouth breather which I have overcome since using the nasal pillow mask! The Fit Life mask is something I may have to try since I've read on this site and elsewhere that the air pressure is equalized over entire face and eyes won't get irritated. Has anyone used this mask? It would be a big change for me to go from a P10 nasal mask to a Full Face mask.

Any thoughts out there? I can't be the only one who suffers with this eye problem!
Thanks
OpalRose

Have to tried wearing a eye mask? (like the one's you would wear if you had to sleep during the daytime), being you like your nasal pillow set up and it working for you try an eye mask at least you could see if you need to do a different mask set up.
Just a thoughDont-know
Hope you can find a solution.
Sleep-well

Hi Mr. VanWinkle,
I did purchase an eye mask, just wasn't using it very much. I tend to get panicky when everything is dark. Silly isn't it? Just another Phobia! Crazy
I think I will wear it tonight and see if my eyes show improvement.
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2015, 11:03 AM)AshSF Wrote: Air leaking from Nasocrimal ducts is a "rare" reason for dry eyes. A more common reason could be your P10 leaking on the side of your nostril and hitting your eyes OR as pollcat suggested (the vented air rebounding into your eyes). Look at your leak rates. It will provide a clue to what is happening. You should post your leak rate overview graph for last 60 days on this thread and also your leak graph of a day when you had this irritation in the morning.

Also, you can try sleeping with a travel sleep mask and evaluate if you still have dry eyes. If you do, then the ducts may be indicted but if no, then its probably a P10 leaking on the sides of your nostril.

You should also try a test of holding your nose and mouth shut and blowing thru your nose. If your ducts don't leak at that pressure then its highly unlikely that they will leak on cpap pressure.

Try eliminate all reasons before you blame the ducts.

In general, its much easier to sleep with the P10 than any FFM or the total face mask.

Well, I slept with my travel sleep mask last night and believe me this mask blocks everything out! It took awhile to fall asleep with it, but my eyes were not as red this morning. Haven't checked leak rate yet, but did post some data prior.
Also just woke up from a 2 hour nap...used sleep mask over my eyes again...easier in the daytime. So checked my AHI on screen for the 2 hours and it was up over 3!!!!
So much for naps.
Oh-jeez
OpalRose

OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OpalRose,

If you did not get into a very deep sleep during your nap it is understandable that your AHI was higher than normal.

With regard to your eyes, you might try something that my optometrist suggested to me. I was complaining (before CPAP) about dry, itchy eyes. He explained that the small ducts that carry lubrication to the eyes can get plugged very easily by a number of things including minor infection. What he recommended was warm to hot compresses to the eyelids for a period of time. Then wash eyelids well with an antiseptic soap, rinse well, and dry. Be careful not to get soap into your eye especially if your eyes are dry. This works better for me than any of the eye drops.

It may be possible that air from mask leakage or venting is hitting your eyelids and drying out these ducts causing dry eye and consequent irritation. Hope you find something that helps. If all else fails, you might try setting up something to capture the vented air and run it through a hose down along the CPAP hose far enough to get out from under the covers at the side of the bed and away from your face and let it exhaust there.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks PaytonA for the suggestions. I will try the hot compresses. Blink
OpalRose
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Have slowly developed irritated eyes from cpap therapy so found this old thread. OPal R and others - did you find a workable long term solution? In doing some checking around I found a product called Tranquileyes. Has anyone tried this? TIA
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sonicboom, I was surprised to see this thread resurrected.

I did find, on suggestions by others, that the air being difused by the P10 was hitting my bedding and was directed back at my eyes. I used to lay on my side with my face buried in the pillow and I found that to be my problem.

For a while, I tried a product called Eye Seals, similar to what you are asking about, looks like goggles. They worked really well keeping air from hitting my eyes, but they can make you sweat and would become uncomfortable after awhile.

Every now and then, I drag the eye seal mask out, but I don't seem to have as much problems with dry eyes as I did in the beginning.

One other thing, I use really good eye drops called Systane Balance. They also have a nighttime eye ointment that works well.

Good luck, I know that it can be miserable.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not sure but I think the air that diffuses out of the front slit of the Dreamwear cushion might be a problem. I've been using the Dreamwear for the last few months as the P10s had leakage that was not to my liking at various pillow sizes. I have the Systane Drops. Did you use those at night or just during the day? I'll look for the nighttime ointment. I'll also look in to the Eye Seals and Tranquileyes. Thank you for your quick response. It definitely is annoying and miserable.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Systane drops in the morning and sometimes during the day. Before going to bed, I use the eye ointment. The ointment makes your vision a little blurry, but not that bad.

My Eye Doc recommended the Systane brand.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Mine too recommended Systane for dry eyes a few years ago when I had eye strain. Thanks for your help as always.

Great-info
Coffee

Happy Pappin'

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 463 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg
  Nose/Nosering Irritation Braven05 8 624 12-18-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  My suggestion for help with nasal pillow irritation rebean 3 662 12-06-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Nose irritation with nasal pillows (p10) Jobaaayyy 10 987 10-24-2023, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Jobaaayyy
  [Equipment] Dreamwear mask irritation on nose septum Dean Harman 10 6,013 03-11-2023, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Cc1263
  Skin irritation with Evora full face mask misajon 0 770 02-02-2023, 01:11 PM
Last Post: misajon
  Burning irritation from head gear Xltrod 0 439 10-13-2022, 06:39 AM
Last Post: Xltrod

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.