Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP and Gastric Reflux
CPAP and Gastric Reflux
Hi there everyone !

My name is Cameron, I was diagnosed with OSA about 4 years ago after completing a overnight sleep study at a hospital, my results were 80 + AHI per hour.
I was set up with a loan machine (Resmed S9) and sent home, I struggled with the full face mask leaking and claustrophobia and gave up.

Fast forward 4 years and I decided to try again after concerns from my partner about my snoring, breathing (or lack of it) and gasping for air during the night.
I took my results from the sleep study to a local CPAP clinic and they set me up with a loan machine (Resmed S10 Autoset) and a Respironics Dreamwear nasal mask.
I was determined this time to give it my best shot. The results were incredible from the first night, with my average AHI's being around 3.
After a month of weekly appointments with the CPAP clinic they set me up with a S10 Elite set at Min 6 Max 12 and I haven't looked back.

The only problem i am having is nasal congestion. I am using a nasal spray every night which is compounding my problem.
I think i will have to look at getting a face mask so i can give the nasal mask a rest while my nose recovers from the over use of the spray.

Since being on CPAP I have noticed that my Gastric Reflux symptoms have disappeared, despite being on proton pump inhibitor medication I still suffered symptoms of GERD but now I am confident that I can cease my medication totally. I have read articles that say there is no conclusive medical evidence that CPAP helps with symptoms of GERD but i have no doubt in my mind that there is a direct link to GERD and severe OSA.

BTW, great forum !
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP and Gastric Reflux
Hi Cameron

Great to hear you are doing well. I'm with you on the connection between GERD and severe apnea. I've been on CPAP for ten months now(AHI 75 at sleep study) Now my AHI cycles between 1 - 4 and I'm thinking about getting off my reflux meds. I used to really struggle with reflux. I can now sleep without having my head raised - no more pillows shoved under the mattress - I was on the verge of getting one of those expensive beds where the head and foot can be raised electronically, not needed anymore.

Dealing with the nasal congestion involves trial and error. I take an antihistamine tablet and antihistamine nasal spray before bed and I seem to need quite a bit of humidity. Staying well hydrated helps too. Give things time to work and don' t change too much at once.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not questioning GERD but you have conflicting information in both you profile and in your post.

You state " S10 Elite set at Min 6 Max 12" .  The ResMed S10 Elite is a fixed pressure machine and as such is not capable of the settings "Min 6 Max 12".  Those settings indicate an AutoSet machine.

What words are on the front of your machine?

If you download SleepyHead and post your daily charts we could confirm your settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too have noticed that my reflux has virtually disappeared. I used to keep tums by the bed and ate them like candy. I don't know this for fact but I believe that I was gasping for air and with a blocked airway I was putting negaitve pressure on my esophagus causing the valve at the top of my stomach to leak. I could be wrong but something is different and that's the best I can come up with
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi cams290,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It’s great to hear that you are noticing improvements with CPAP therapy.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2017, 09:19 AM)bonjour Wrote: Not questioning GERD but you have conflicting information in both you profile and in your post.

You state " S10 Elite set at Min 6 Max 12" .  The ResMed S10 Elite is a fixed pressure machine and as such is not capable of the settings "Min 6 Max 12".  Those settings indicate an AutoSet machine.

What words are on the front of your machine?

If you download SleepyHead and post your daily charts we could confirm your settings.

Hi Bonjour,
Thanks for your reply.
My mistake, it is fixed at 12 but starts at 6 and has the EPR set at 3.
I will post SleepyHead charts when I get a chance.

Cheers
Cameron
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2017, 10:16 AM)JesseLee Wrote: I too have noticed that my reflux has virtually disappeared. I used to keep tums by the bed and ate them like candy. I don't know this for fact but I believe that I was gasping for air and with a blocked airway I was putting negaitve pressure on my esophagus causing the valve at the top of my stomach to leak. I could be wrong but something is different and that's the best I can come up with
Hi JesseLee,
I think it's great.
Kind of like killing two birds with one stone so to speak.
Cheers !
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2017, 06:35 AM)KiwiGal Wrote: Hi Cameron

Great to hear you are doing well. I'm with you on the connection between GERD and severe apnea. I've been on CPAP for ten months now(AHI 75 at sleep study) Now my AHI cycles between 1 - 4 and I'm thinking about getting off my reflux meds. I used to really struggle with reflux. I can now sleep without having my head raised - no more pillows shoved under the mattress - I was on the verge of getting one of those expensive beds where the head and foot can be raised electronically, not needed anymore.

Dealing with the nasal congestion involves trial and error. I take an antihistamine tablet and antihistamine nasal spray before bed and I seem to need quite a bit of humidity. Staying well hydrated helps too. Give things time to work and don' t change too much at once.

Hi KiwiGal,

I'm going to stop my reflux meds as ftom tonight and see how it goes.
Would be great to get off them completely as I have read bad things about them when they have bern taken for a long period of time.

Cheers
Post Reply Post Reply
JesseLee's explanation is what I have read too.  My recollection is that this comes from a credible medical source, but I don't recall where.  Mine has also drastically reduced.

Cameron, do NOT just stop taking them cold turkey.  I tried that already. You will regret.  You will get massive rebound acidity.  The first 3-4 days were fine for me and then I went running back to the PPI for a double dose.  You need to taper off slowly and replace with something like Zantac until your body adjusts and then taper off of that.  Do a Google search for lots of information on what people have done.  I am still working up the courage to try again.  You are right on the long term effects, it impairs vitamin B-12 absorption, among other things, and I ended up with a deficiency.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got on reflux meds also, and it seems to have gotten really better in the last weeks on cpap. I almost dont get heartburn anymore and I have even forgotten some pills without noticing.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vagus nerve stimulation, central apneas, reflux and hiatal hernia could be related? weiss27md 9 1,551 03-15-2021, 11:08 PM
Last Post: JoeyWallaby
  CPAP, ear problems, and acid reflux Reznik 5 1,612 08-22-2019, 07:01 AM
Last Post: mper6794
  Doctors say it is not reflux, what could it be? Dolla Bill 22 8,919 12-07-2017, 07:19 AM
Last Post: archangle
  [CPAP] New User - Bloating, Gas, diarrhea, reflux hatbox 7 4,044 09-25-2017, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Esq.
Exclaimation WOW!! Just realized that CPAP has nearly put an end to my horrid heartburn and reflux kyhmm72 10 2,991 04-06-2016, 08:50 AM
Last Post: giagray
  reflux due to swallowing air Lisamarieknits 5 2,142 11-26-2015, 09:25 PM
Last Post: pnman-55
  Laryngopharyngeal Reflux and higher AHI#? pwgphoto 4 1,967 11-13-2015, 10:23 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.