Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP and Insomnia
RE: CPAP and Insomnia
(11-16-2013, 10:47 PM)robysue Wrote: eviltm,

You might find some of the suggestions in Sound Sleep, Sound Mind by Dr. Barry Krakow very useful for helping you to quit focusing so much on looking at the clock when you first wake up and trying to figure out why you woke up when you find yourself awake in the middle of the night.

Robysue, that's a very interesting point. I didn't realize how often I look at the clock during those arousals until my sleep study a couple of weeks ago. There was no clock in the room, and it was driving me nuts. lol I would wake up and have trouble going back to sleep because I couldn't see what time it was, so my brain kicked into high gear trying to figure out how long I'd slept and whether the tech had been able to get enough data, whether it was early or late, etc. I slept horribly that night during the study. That was the first time I realized how often I check the clock during the night when I wake up. You know...those moments of "oh, it's only 1:30, I have plenty of time to get back to sleep" or "it's 5:30, I can sleep for another hour..." Now I'm working on breaking that habit. I'm hoping that I won't wake up as often when I have my CPAP, but if I do, I want to be out of the habit of looking at the clock. Shy
Post Reply Post Reply
Some really great stuff here, thanks guys. I will try and work on this advice and see if it doesn't help. This is why I always outsource things to the brain trust Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
I have this same problem. Had a sleep study. Started CPAP. Still waking up every 45 min. to 1 hour at the end of a dream. Started taking Melatonin 6mg before bed time. Did no good. I also covered the windows in the bedroom, got rid of the clock and all light in the bedroom. Seem to be more rested with CPAP. Have been told to give it time and normal sleep will return. I feel better when I wake the final time and get up than I did before CPAP so I will continue to use it.
MARK
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2013, 12:38 AM)fb4mark Wrote: Started taking Melatonin 6mg before bed time.
That's WAY too much melatonin.

There have been a bunch of studies that have shown too much melatonin is counterproductive. If you want to experiment with melatonin again, try to find some 1mg tabs or even smaller.

Post Reply Post Reply
Beside comfortable bed to sleep on, I cannot keep the mask on for long if the air feel too cold or too warm, having the right humidity level is important. Stress is part of our daily life, some manage it better than others
Stress quiz http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2...age_stress
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-16-2013, 09:44 PM)eviltim Wrote: I was hoping that the sleep apnea was the cause of it and CPAP would cure the insomnia as well but no dice. I wake up a lot less frequently, but I'd still say that I wake up about 5 times a night.

I have the same problem and many others have reported a similar or identical problem. I believe it's due to years of untreated sleep apnea.

I've noticed that the problem is fading as my body adapts to the new situation caused by the presence of the CPAP machine. If you think about it, a similar pattern is apparent in many other activities. For example, if you switch cars from one with a manual to one with an automatic transmission, you still find your left foot searching for the clutch pedal.

In a similar way your brain thinks it still has to wake you up to breathe. But if you always use the CPAP machine whenever you sleep, you give your brain the environment it needs to stop doing that. The real problem occurs when you sleep without your machine because then the adaptation process is interrupted.

I agree with the other posters who say it's best not to obsess over the problem. Take note of the fact that the problem is fading away, that the problem is a normal problem experienced by everyone, and it will go away on its own.

I try to think about how comfortable my bed feels and make an active effort to fall back asleep. If all else fails I get out of bed for a while, but that's a last resort.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing I've noticed after reviewing my Sleephead graphs is that most of my awakenings occur right after my APAP raises my pressure. It isn't a 100% correlation, but it's close to 80%.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what to do about it, other than just use straight CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2013, 06:11 PM)mdh235 Wrote: One thing I've noticed after reviewing my Sleephead graphs is that most of my awakenings occur right after my APAP raises my pressure. It isn't a 100% correlation, but it's close to 80%.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what to do about it, other than just use straight CPAP.

I noticed the same thing, but it may not necessarily be a pressure problem. You may have more apneas during different stages of sleep (such as REM) so the machine is bumping it up during those times only.
Post Reply Post Reply
Im on cpap for 15 days and Im having multiple wake up events per night. Was expecting a instant cure with the machine and Im seeing this is going to be work in progress for awhile. There was some great info posted in the thread, thanks. This site is really helping me through this change in my life, Just made a donation
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome, eschy, it takes time and you will get used to it, we have to remember that it doesn't help you sleep, it helps you breathe, the sleeping is a by product of that but you still have to get used to having a mask on your face all night, good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bad Insomnia r4robin 5 217 03-25-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question [Treatment] Treatment Emergent Central Apnea or Insomnia -- which is it? mallar 1 299 03-02-2024, 01:57 PM
Last Post: mallar
  Frustrating insomnia continues despite numbers alienfrontier 10 607 01-27-2024, 02:04 PM
Last Post: alienfrontier
  CPAP causing insomnia, hoping for some help starsknight 3 781 03-03-2023, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Insomnia Slumberseeker 4 644 08-29-2022, 07:48 AM
Last Post: Slumberseeker
  Insomnia and treatment? ECM5 10 1,202 08-02-2022, 07:05 PM
Last Post: ECM5
  [Diagnosis] Understanding AHI, blood pressure, pulse, insomnia hollysleep 4 702 07-09-2022, 09:32 PM
Last Post: SevereApnea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.