Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP and Insomnia
RE: CPAP and Insomnia
I've been ignoring my clock actually, and it's been going well. I have finally managed to move my sleeping time back by a significant amount, and am now getting up at around 8:30 in the morning. I was so worried the insomnia was disrupting my sleep, the anxiety over it was probably worse for me than the waking was. I still wake up 2-3 times per night generally but it doesn't bother me and I hope it improves soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2013, 11:41 AM)eviltim Wrote: I've been ignoring my clock actually, and it's been going well.
It's amazing how avoiding "clock watching" can improve things isn't it? That is once you get over the anxiety of not knowing the time when you wake up.

Quote: I have finally managed to move my sleeping time back by a significant amount, and am now getting up at around 8:30 in the morning.
Good for you! I have found that my night owlish tendencies have to be reined in on the weekends and whenever I'm on break. (I'm a college professor.) Maintaining the wake up time seems to be one of the more critical pieces of the puzzle in my case. It's great when I am waking up without the alarm clock at around 8:00 all seven days of the week.

Quote:I was so worried the insomnia was disrupting my sleep, the anxiety over it was probably worse for me than the waking was.
This is the root of many an insomniac's insomnia: The anxiety caused by worrying about the insomnia triggers more insomnia which triggers more worrying which triggers more insomnia ....

It's great to hear you're making some real progress in reining in your insomnia monster.

Post Reply Post Reply
Definitely, thanks for the encouragement. Given my history of sleep problems apnea and otherwise, I'm really hoping to get to the point where I don't have to 'catch up' on the weekends. What do you teach? I really enjoyed reading your summary of auto algorithms, was wondering if you had a science or engineering background.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2013, 12:43 PM)eviltim Wrote: What do you teach?
I'm a tenured mathematics professor. I teach almost everything we offer at the undergrad level from freshmen calculus on up to our Senior Seminar.
Quote: I really enjoyed reading your summary of auto algorithms, was wondering if you had a science or engineering background.
Thank you for the nice compliment!

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2013, 11:41 AM)eviltim Wrote: I still wake up 2-3 times per night generally but it doesn't bother me and I hope it improves soon.

That's about where I'm at, too. Although there have been some recent nights where I don't recall waking during the night, just in the morning. My wife's alarm first goes off at 4:30 am, and it gets light now at about 6:30 am, so I usually wake up at least once due to one or both of those events.

Like RobySue, I too am a college instructor, so now I'm recovering from the end of the semester and finals week, enjoying my time off.

I tend to stay up too late and sleep in too much, just like on a weekend. I realize that if I practiced better sleep hygiene, got more exercise and ate better it'd go a long way towards a better quality of life.

I teach physics at a community college, so like you I too have learned a lot from RobySue about the shapes of flow rate graphs (wave forms). I wonder how they programmed the machines to recognize the shapes. My guess is some type of Fourier analysis is involved in some way.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2013, 01:34 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I teach physics at a community college, so like you I too have learned a lot from RobySue about the shapes of flow rate graphs (wave forms). I wonder how they programmed the machines to recognize the shapes. My guess is some type of Fourier analysis is involved in some way.

Sounds like it. This is from a fairly recent patent ('09). Maybe robysue knows more.

Quote:[0015] A sinusoidal (e.g. 4 Hz) pressure oscillation is applied at the input to the airpath, while flow and pressure is measured both at the input and output of the airpath. Based upon the two port model or the more theoretical hose drop model, the admittance is determined from the AC component of the patient airflow (found by subtracting the AC components of vent flow and leak) and the AC component of the mask pressure. The vent flow, in turn, is determined from an improved quadratic relationship to mask pressure in the case of the two port model, or a linearized calculation in the more theoretical hose drop model. The leak is determined from an estimated leak coefficient. The calculation of AC components of these quantities is improved over prior estimations by using Fourier sine and cosine components at the input oscillation frequency rather than by approximating an orthonormal set of functions by square waves. [0016] The invention discloses a method for determining patency of the airway of a patient, the method comprising the steps of: applying an oscillatory pressure waveform of known frequency to the patient's airway; measuring respiratory air flow and pressure at the flow generator; calculating the AC values of flow and pressure at the mask from a 2-port impedance model, determining that the airway is patent by determining whether the complex admittance is in a region characteristic of patency.

https://www.google.com/patents/EP2056911...CEUQ6AEwAg
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bad Insomnia r4robin 5 214 03-25-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question [Treatment] Treatment Emergent Central Apnea or Insomnia -- which is it? mallar 1 298 03-02-2024, 01:57 PM
Last Post: mallar
  Frustrating insomnia continues despite numbers alienfrontier 10 605 01-27-2024, 02:04 PM
Last Post: alienfrontier
  CPAP causing insomnia, hoping for some help starsknight 3 776 03-03-2023, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Insomnia Slumberseeker 4 641 08-29-2022, 07:48 AM
Last Post: Slumberseeker
  Insomnia and treatment? ECM5 10 1,201 08-02-2022, 07:05 PM
Last Post: ECM5
  [Diagnosis] Understanding AHI, blood pressure, pulse, insomnia hollysleep 4 701 07-09-2022, 09:32 PM
Last Post: SevereApnea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.