Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP and Periodontal disease
RE: CPAP and Periodontal disease
Ive been reading about the subject and im pretty much screwed since cpap and periodontal disease dont get along.

Cpap with full face mask dries saliva, this causes bacteria to grow more rapidly.

People with existing periodontal disease have bacteria active in the periodontal pockets.

I am just going to be extra clean at nightime and keep my dentist monitoring the gum disease.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2016, 06:17 PM)ezdrifler Wrote: I am just going to be extra clean at nightime and keep my dentist monitoring the gum disease.

At least *try* a chin strap. I'm ever so glad I did. It made a "YOOJ" difference.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
If you switch to a nasal pillow or nasal mask, and possibly a chin strap, you should be able to leave you mouth closed, and it shouldn't get dry.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had periodontal disease for which I had a procedure to rectify.
On my last check up with periodontics I told them I was on a CPAP machine.
They asked if I had a dry mouth, as dry mouth prevent remineralization of teeth by saliva.
They said to use a product called " Biotene ".

Google and give it a try, in Australia its available at chemists over the counter.

Good Luck
Post Reply Post Reply
Biotene Ingredieints Wrote:Purified Water, Glycerin, Xylitol, Sorbitol, Propulene Glycol, Poloxamer 407, Sodium Benzoate, Hydroxyethyl Cellulose, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Flavor, Sodium Phosphate, Disodium Phosphate

I keep saying Xylitol/Saline for mouth nasal rinses, while others recommend this Biotene - so I finally googled the ingredients and guess what... Xylitol/Saline with a bunch of preservatives and a fancy brand name...

I started out using the Xlear product for persistant nasal, ear and sinus issues, but the Xlear is crazy expensive so now I make my own for pennies, and put it in the fancy pump bottle that I clean with viinegar between refills Smile

Please do try some type of Xylitol/Saline rinse; I would recommend both nose and mouth; and FWIW My father had serious periodontal disease to the point that they had to replace bone with a pig bone graft, and he has 13 tooth implants - but his gums are healthy now; so it is possible to overcome this chronic disease.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sleep Apnea and Cushing's disease related? NorthernGuy 4 406 12-19-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  When UARS Is Lung Disease? Lung experts? Apnea23 25 1,749 07-06-2023, 08:47 AM
Last Post: Apnea23
  State-of-the-Art Sleep Apnea and Cardiovascular Disease MnGeno 0 369 06-29-2023, 12:45 PM
Last Post: MnGeno
  A Nueroinvasive disease with Apnea Jsmcquea 3 551 06-29-2023, 12:41 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Health] Possible link between sleep apnea and Alzheimer's disease. DeepBreathing 2 1,030 09-28-2020, 05:08 PM
Last Post: dwd1249
Wink Sleep Apnea Linked To Worsening Diabetic Eye Disease RayBee 2 828 12-20-2019, 10:12 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question Which internet forums about apnea or heart disease? Albert2 4 1,124 05-17-2019, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Albert2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.