Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP and Periodontal disease
Gross 
CPAP and Periodontal disease
Hi all,

I was diagnosed with apnea with ahi of 28

I have been using my cpap for about 1.5 months and sleepyhead reads my ahi dropped between 4-6 ahi

Unfortunately I also have periodontal gum disease and the cpap creates an ideal dry scenario for my disease to flourish.

I was talking to my dentist today and ge recommended I tri the mouthpiece that pulls your jaw forward and get rid of the cpap.

He did made it clear Apnea has higher priority than gums, my questions are:

1) Has the mothpiece proven succesful in treating Apnea?

2) is there a way I can use my cpap machine with a mouthpiece just to read the results
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP and Periodontal disease
No to both
For free Medicare assistance for your state check out this page. http://www.seniorsresourceguide.com/dire...onal/SHIP/
or here http://www.medicareinteractive.org/
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ezdrifler,
I notice that, in your profile, you say none on the humidifier, you should reconsider on that. You will need some humidity, especially with a full-face mask, (FFM.)
The dental appliance won't be a substitute for CPAP therapy.
Good luck to you and hang in there for more ideas.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Using a mouthpiece/splint for Apnea can work with mild/moderate apnea BUT it's a crap shoot on whether it does work and how effective. Also as someone continues to use a splint it's difficult to see the efficacy of treatment.

I did get a mouthpiece too and whilst my AHI was only 17 (untreated) the mouthpiece was completely useless. I had wanted it for travel and the supposed flexibility it would offer.

After a week I had to give up as it didn't work and I felt horrible. Thing is, even if it works (50/50) the mouthpiece was highly uncomfortable (really really bad) and a CPAP is far easier (in my opinion) to tolerate.

The other thing is insurance normally doesn't cover the mouthpiece so you could be out $800-$1500 and find out it doesn't work. That said, YMMV.

Post Reply Post Reply
Have no personal experience with the mouthpiece that's supposed to relieve apnea and snoring. I wear a custom upper mouth piece to keep my few remaining lower jaw teeth from irritating my upper gums.
Cheers,
otrpu
Love your family, treat your friend(s) well, and don't waste your time. Everything else is just so much BS. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
ez, does your CPAP machine have a water reservoir and humidifier? I just started using CPAP (with humidifier) about a month ago, and I feel like my mouth is less dry in the mornings than without CPAP.

I have autoimmune arthritis and associated problems with dry eyes and dry mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2016, 04:43 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi ezdrifler,
I notice that, in your profile, you say none on the humidifier, you should reconsider on that. You will need some humidity, especially with a full-face mask, (FFM.)
The dental appliance won't be a substitute for CPAP therapy.
Good luck to you and hang in there for more ideas.

My apologies, I just updated my profile, My device has a built in humidifier.

We live by the coast, and the humidity here is always high.

The reservoir in my humidifier is usually full in the morning even at 5, is not enough to counter the side effects on my gums.

Post Reply Post Reply
ezdrifler,
You shouldn't be experiencing dry mouth to the degree that you state that causes gum disease unless you are mouth breathing.
Try a chin strap with your mask.
There are other things to try too. Before bed, rinse with a Mouth Rinse for dry mouth, like Biotene or Act Total Care for Dry Mouth.

I haven't heard about much success with the dental appliances, plus how would you know you are treating your apnea.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had dry mouth with a full face mask no matter how high I put the humidity. Adding in a chin strap pretty well fixed the problem and now I don't get dry mouth even though I no longer use the humidifier.

If I wake up in the middle of the night as I usually do I also suck on one of the milder variants of "Firsherman's Friend" lozenges (non sugar) until I lie back down after visiting the loo.

Also here in Canada I found some lozenges that stick to the roof of your mouth and melt slowly during the night, one lasts pretty much all night and makes you salivate more, and does seem helpful. Threw out the box so I don't know the brand name and it may be different where you live anyway.

But the chin strap made the main difference, so far as I am concerned.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2016, 05:45 PM)OpalRose Wrote: ezdrifler,
You shouldn't be experiencing dry mouth to the degree that you state that causes gum disease unless you are mouth breathing.

My gum disease is existing, is irreversable, i can only control it with constant checkups, is periodontis, I am also a mouth breather, my nose closes up often, nothing clears it, thats why i need a full face mask.

Quote:Try a chin strap with your mask.
cant, mouth breather

Quote:There are other things to try too. Before bed, rinse with a Mouth Rinse for dry mouth, like Biotene or Act Total Care for Dry Mouth.
will look into that, sounds like a good idea.

Quote:I haven't heard about much success with the dental appliances, plus how would you know you are treating your apnea.

Exactly my question, dentist said I could gauge it by my level of snoring, I was like mmmm
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sleep Apnea and Cushing's disease related? NorthernGuy 4 406 12-19-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  When UARS Is Lung Disease? Lung experts? Apnea23 25 1,750 07-06-2023, 08:47 AM
Last Post: Apnea23
  State-of-the-Art Sleep Apnea and Cardiovascular Disease MnGeno 0 369 06-29-2023, 12:45 PM
Last Post: MnGeno
  A Nueroinvasive disease with Apnea Jsmcquea 3 551 06-29-2023, 12:41 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Health] Possible link between sleep apnea and Alzheimer's disease. DeepBreathing 2 1,030 09-28-2020, 05:08 PM
Last Post: dwd1249
Wink Sleep Apnea Linked To Worsening Diabetic Eye Disease RayBee 2 828 12-20-2019, 10:12 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question Which internet forums about apnea or heart disease? Albert2 4 1,124 05-17-2019, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Albert2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.