Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP and PpO2 data out of sync because of summertime
CPAP and PpO2 data out of sync because of summertime
Summertime started in my country. I'm importing Contec SpO2 data for the first time in this situation. ResMed data has been of for an hour during summertime before. The problem is that SpO2 data can't be synced with it no matter which clock option I use. With Contec clock the SpO2 data is on time, as is the time showing on my Apple Mac Air. The Resmed data appears to be off by an hour and a half (early). With Resmed (SleepyHead?) clock the Contec data gets off scale with weird times. Has someone else encountered similar problem? PS How do you attach for example SleepyHead view, if needed? Screenshot to Pictures?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP and PpO2 data out of sync because of summertime
My signature includes links to tutorials to organize and post Sleepyhead screenshots. The easiest way is just to use the attachment feature below the reply editor.

The Resmed clock is settable. Be sure that if you are changing time on the machine, that you do not also check the Daylight Savings Time, or clock time offset feature in the Sleepyhead menu at File/Preference/CPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think for now the easiest solution would be to set the oximeter time to be the same as the ResMed clock time. I'm not sure that will work because I have seen some import errors due to time zone offset. I will be looking into that when I receive a replacement oximeter.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the pointer about screenshots advice, found it also myself. I found also threads about similar sync problems as mine. I live in Finland, our timezone is GMT +2, summertime, that just started SUN 25.03.2018 at 3am local time is therefore +3. My MacBookAir and SleepyHead are all up to date program version wise. I have a Contec CMS 50 I SpO2 meter, version 1.3. I haven't yet figured out where to get new program versions and how to install them, as I can't even get the Contec SpO2 Assistant to work in my WinX2 mini Windows, so and so operating in my Mac's  OS's sandbox. To install, yes, work, no. There is a C++ visual component missing, apparently (what ever that means). I went to the Windows internet upload page advised, only to find it obsolete. I found another similar looking piece of program (by name) in the other Windows upload page I later found, and installed it, but with no effect what so ever. 

I'm still learning. I had a long hiatus from using computers to any greater extent apart from using the net somewhat through my phone(s) and sometimes my local library's machines, available to public (which have now all but vanished), and and other public ones, mainly for googling, as I didn't invest in my own one(s), due to problems using one, caused by my sleep and other health problems making me tired and making concentrating on more complicated things virtually impossible. Having vision problems for looking at screens and reading, now mainly corrected by eye surgery, didn't help and strained my eyes causing headaches, forcing removing my glasses, which made me in effect blind. Finding causes and medication to my problems has helped - which is basically my work now, as I'm unable to work for a living anymore. After eye surgery I can now drive a car legally without glasses. I still use them most of the time, as they - much thinner and lighter ones than for decades before - still offer better sight. I've been using glasses for over 50 years now, and am pampered with having an excellent sight with very well functioning ones most of that time, as opposed to having a pretty a non existent sight without using ones. My learning curve with computers has been pretty steep in recent years, helped surprisingly by being a once a person assisting others using them in addition to my real work.  I'm no digi native or even half pro, despite using a computer in my work (mainly office use, with some fiddling them up till mid 1990's, when my health problems started - so no Internet!), but I'm learning every day, as I said.

I had a nap and was able to count the SpO2 data off sync better, because the sleep was shorter: It's more like 1h 15 min than the 1h 30 min I mentioned. The x times 15 min jumping to my eyes reading other posts and my data, puzzles me. I've found earlier threads about similar sync problems, as I said - but no solutions I've yet understood properly or figured out how to use. 

Just today stumbling upon a way to explain and manage a nagging brain fog problem, which has hindered me doing things, as a not needed plus to lack of restoring sleep and other problems, for a long while now. It seems orange juice is preventing some of my meds getting properly in my body to work, lessening their potency, as opposed to grape juice which hinders the liver breaking medication up and, so upping their potency and causing ill effects. My medication has warnings about grape juice, but orange juice I myself managed to figure out, and then googled about and got a hit. So, with hopefully with a clearer head I'm looking forward getting my SpO2 data better sync'd to help me and my doctors get to the bottom of my recently confirmed lack of oxygenation during sleep. While I'm  trying to find info about the sync problem in earlier threads in this forum, I'm grateful for any additional cues helping me to correct the sync problem to be able to concentrate on other more important ones.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've tried to set the up the SpO2 meter data to the ResMed clock time with the option in the SpO2 import, but it just gets the SpO2 data to change scale, starting at some completely strange and wrong time much earlier and stopping much later than the CPAP data, which is one hour off, but otherwise correct. 

The SpO2 recording started virtually at the same time as the ResMed CPAP use and both data have sync'd just fine before, until one night after the summertime begin. 

My circadian rhythm is free spinning and I mostly sleep from morning to afternoon now, except for forced very short sleep, when I have to get up in the morning to go somewhere in the afternoon (it takes time to take my medication with necessary pauses between some of them) and resulting from this late afternoon or evening naps to just to be able to take evening medication and such. I get really tired, but most times can't get my circadian rhythm to back up, as it just want's to turn forward (my sleep plus wake adds to more than 24 hours and it doesn't sync with day light despite using bright light and earlier melatonin among things tried). The 12 o'clock split in SleepyHead has not caused me problems. I haven't tried correcting the 1 hour ResMed data off sync with summertime changing the split forward as suggested in an earlier thread. The effect of changing the SpO2 meter data to ResMed (SleepyHead?) clock was completely unexpected and different from what I've read in other threads. 

Your advise should sync the data by all accounts. For some reason, of which I have no idea about, something totally different happens. Thanks for your advise, even though in my case it somehow doesn't work.
Post Reply Post Reply
Slight clarification to times showing in the various parties of the problem:

1. Time showing on Contec CMS 50 I SpO2 meter clock view: Correct, on summer time without manually adjusting it (has sync'd clocks with computer when inputting the data?).

2. Time showing on my Apple MacBook Air computer in the upper right side of the screen: Correct, in summer time.

3. Time on the Resmed 10 Autoset CPAP/APAP machine: Otherwise correct, but was still in winter time, because I hadn't noticed/didn't remember the time could be changed in the clinical menu (the time shows only on the one place in the clinical menu, where you can chance it, if I remember correctly). Changed it now to summer time for the next night's sleep. Explains SleepyHead's ResMed CPAP data being early one hour. We'll see, if something else besides the CPAP data time changes.

4. The time of the CPAP data showing in SleepyHead: Correct, but still in winter time. Let's see next night's report after changing it to summer time.

5. The time of the Contec SpO2 data in SleepyHead: About 1h 15 min late of the CPAP data, total 15 min late of the summer time. The CPAP data was still in winter time. Changed ResMed to summer time now. Should be 15 min late next night, when ResMed is in summertime, is it? Why the extra 15 min late, when the Contec's clock view shows correct time. The 15 min times x in other threads is still showing.
Post Reply Post Reply
The current belief to your problem seems to be around UTC and your timezone. This bug showed up in SleepyHead v1.0. Version 0.9.8 didn't have this problem. As to the 15 minutes; I have no idea.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Realizing that the ResMed CPAP machine was still in winter time, and that you could change it to summer time in the clinical menu, was the key to getting the CPAP and SpO2 data to sync Ok. 

I'm not yet sure they sync totally, as I got a royal 1h 47min "night"sleep before being waked up by alarms in my sleep measuring apps (not so slight sarcasm in the word "royal"; multiple alarms to be sure I can't get all of them off in half sleep and nod off again - a normal alarm clock is just too easy - plus the apps have smart alarms) to start my morning as I have a new mask selection fitting in my sleep clinic in the afternoon. 

Since I slept lately just 2 short bits, one in the evening and one early morning, SleepyHead shows today a lot of empty space between the short bits of sleep, and shows because of that the sleep bits very compressed, making it impossible to see precisely if the data syncs 100%. So, I'm not sure if the odd 15 min off sync vanished totally, but judging by what I can see now, the problem is probably solved. As I said before I noticed the 15min interval to show x times in previous similar threads, so I think it's a sort of step in the SleepyHead (or also ResMed) structure.

I thank everybody, who gave their insight to my problem. I hope the suggestions given to me in this tread, and the solution to it I realized by chance, help to solve other similar data sync problems. I wish everybody a good day. Mine starts, as so many others, by taking my staying awake medication. The sleep deficit has to be paid back later, of course.
Post Reply Post Reply
NoRest, turn of all the alarms. The whole point of this therapy is to get good sleep without arousals from apnea events. I have no idea what value alarms could have other than to make the goal of good sleep not happen.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
PS: Slept a longer wink now. Resmed and Contec SpO2 data are on sync and on time now. Changing ResMed to summer time in the clinical menu sync'd it with the MacBookAir and Contec (summer) time. They apparently had sync'd times to summer time at handshake. Everything fits now, and even the odd 15min SpO2 data off sync to late from summer time vanished completely. It is probably some sort of minimum step in ResMed/Sleepyhead, as I thought. Apparently if something is slightly off, it's then the 15 min off. Please tell me, if I'm wrong.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation HELP: Summertime exposes a big bug in OSCAR PjotterHasApn 35 2,693 04-07-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: SteveC
Question OK TO IMPORT SLEEP DATA FROM OLD SD CARD INTO OSCAR W/O MESSING UP CURRENT DATA? Plmnb 3 283 03-29-2024, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  OSCAR Profiles and Combining Different Brand CPAP Data StratCat48 2 108 03-22-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Caution: Wellue O2 Ring - Time Sync hybernate 9 1,450 03-04-2024, 01:31 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Viatom/WellUE data is different than OSCAR displayed data GordK 3 345 02-23-2024, 04:48 PM
Last Post: GordK
  Data structure / data definition of AirSense 11 CD, CMSd50+ or OSCAR?hing obvious, … Perickson 4 1,703 02-18-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Perickson
  Automating process of getting CPAP data mgdapnea 6 846 12-26-2023, 06:39 PM
Last Post: mgdapnea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.