Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP and hospital oxygen
Question 
CPAP and hospital oxygen
I use a ResMed S9 with the nasal-pillow mask. I will be spending a week in hospital soon, and the mask will interfere with the hospital-provided oxygen mask. Is there a mask that somehow integrates with the oxygen supply?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP and hospital oxygen
(08-30-2014, 09:27 AM)geoffleach Wrote: I use a ResMed S9 with the nasal-pillow mask. I will be spending a week in hospital soon, and the mask will interfere with the hospital-provided oxygen mask. Is there a mask that somehow integrates with the oxygen supply?

Thanks.

They should have an adapter to allow injecting O2 into the mask.

If you're concerned, you could call them
Post Reply Post Reply
Some of the full face masks have ports for O2 injection.

I was in the hospital twice in 2010. As an apnea patient I was assigned an RT.
The RT rolled up a CPAP machine that needed a cart.
That machine had a port for direct injection of O2 into the CPAP; it could even be set to the desired O2 content by percentage.
They provided my mask. It connected to their hose differently.
One RT knew how to adapt my standard 22mm mask connection using an adapter sleeve; another RT had no clue.

So, are they asking you to bring your machine? Best talk to them and see what arrangement can be made -- I'm sure they can come up with an accommodation.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I took my own APAP machine, with my oxygen hook ups. The RT's had no problem with my set up, and I was happy to have my APAP.
I purchased my oxygen adapter and one way valve from Supplier #1.
Ask the hospital first about bringing your own machine.
Good Luck,
Post Reply Post Reply
In particular, the ResMed Mirage Quattro FFM has two ports for oxygen.
Post Reply Post Reply
The totally out of place posts about battery backup systems were moved to the battery backup system thread. They can be found here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ics?page=4
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Geoff, you need to contact the hospital or check their online patient services to see if they have a policy in place already on how they deal with patient equipment. Usually, they ask you to bring the device in ahead of time so someone from maintenance can inspect it for loose wires and the like. Sometimes they want you and someone from RT to sit down and discuss it. But most of the time they haven't anything in place.

Don't let them tell you that you won't need it. Unless you have a trach put in or a intubated, you will need your CPAP while you are sleeping, napping, or otherwise unconscious. They may try to tell you that the oxygen will get rid of that nasty problem while you are there but that won't be true.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thumbsup 
I see that "Supplier #1" has oxygen connectors for my ResMed, so that's good. I'll check with the RT at the hospital as well to get things organized.

Thanks to all who replied. Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-03-2014, 08:36 AM)geoffleach Wrote: I see that "Supplier #1" has oxygen connectors for my ResMed, so that's good. I'll check with the RT at the hospital as well to get things organized.

Thanks to all who replied. Thanks

I induce 2 LPM of O2 into my APAP flow using a Tee at the output of the humidifier. ResMed machines are spec'ed to handle up to 5 LPM of added flow. (I assume they act up above 5 LPM.)
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
they can actually put your full face mask over the cannula. Some of the cpap mask have holes for 02.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 674 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  AirMini with Oxygen darral.freund 2 918 02-08-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: darral.freund
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 355 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker
  Sleep study review / O2 ring - Oxygen Desaturation SingleH 5 525 01-07-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: SingleH
  Why would supplemental Oxygen be added to CPAP? kc90 18 1,061 01-02-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Is there a standrad for Oxygen Desat Events. dataq1 3 417 12-27-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.