Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP and nose bleeds
CPAP and nose bleeds
Does anyone else suffer from a greatly increased propensity for nose bleeds since starting CPAP? and if yes what did you do to alleviate it?

I have mostly noted it whenever I have had a cold or the flue, have tried changing the humidity settings but really not much seems to change.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP and nose bleeds
Very common if humidity is too low.
Augment with saline nasal spray like NeilMed No-Drip Naso-Gel or Ocean saline spray.
Your body will adjust to the airflow, but you'll always need to add a little help when the climate is dry.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
It appears to totally be related to humidity. I have zero problem in the warmer weather with increased humidity. My nosebleeds only occur in the winter. You can use saline solution in addition to monkeying with the humidity levels. Also, if you take any blood thinners, including aspirin, check with your doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2018, 03:01 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: It appears to totally be related to humidity. I have zero problem in the warmer weather with increased humidity. My nosebleeds only occur in the winter.  You can use saline solution in addition to monkeying with the humidity levels.  Also, if you take any blood thinners, including aspirin, check with your doctor.

Luckily no blood thinners or I would bleed out  Sad I normally have a very high platelet count and RBC and generally nose bleeds are very short lived but since using CPAP and in conjunction with winter and a cold/ flue the last couple have resulted in huge blood flows which just persist I would guesstimate between 50 to 100ml each event. 
Maybe time to get some new blood tests done.
Post Reply Post Reply
This topic has been dormant, but after last weekend's festivities, I think it's time to post my story...

TL;DR: Yes, major nosebleeds (life threatening if not treated) are possible. Saline spray and nasal gels can help prevent them.

Background:

Long term CPAP, since 1998. Nasal pillows 2002-2018, stopped when comfortable pillows went unavailable. Nasal mask since.
Autoset, running 6 to 11 cm. Humidity high, heated hose to prevent rainout.
Warfarin user: last protime test came with an INR of 2.4.
History of sinus infections with minor blood seeping during such.

Saturday morning I woke up, and as I got upright, the nose started running from my left nostril. I haven't had a nosebleed in decades, but it was. Bad, quite bad. Could *not* get it stopped. After a couple of hours (much of it spent in transit; we're quite far from both the ambulance and the hospital), I made it to the ER. With a doctor slammed by Saturday morning trauma cases.

Got a nose clamp, stuff to catch the blood, and a wastebasket for the debris. The bleed was bad enough that it backed up into sinus cavities, one middle ear, and so on.

Once the doc came up for air, he removed enough stuff to see the bleeds, and cauterized the offenders. (Chemical cauterization is a lot less spooky than the heat type.) Clots blocked the right nostril and sinus, but they were removed (no description--it's disgusting). An inflatable tampon way up the left nostril kept things under control. and a neighbor came into town and picked me up. I owe him a case of good beer. Really good beer.

Rough guess, I might have lost a pint and a half of blood before the doc got it stopped.

Tuesday, the clinic docs removed the "Rhino Rocket", and while the resident was dealing with that minor mess, the senior doc got my history and told me that I've been lucky to avoid major nose bleeds this long.

He recommends Ayr gel for the nostril area (AFAIK, most of my bleeding was above that), and saline spray.

I remembered that I always used aloe vera gel when I was on the nasal pillows. That might have saved me from problems. If the Ayr gel gets too hard to find, I'll go with the Aloe Vera.

(And the blood tests showed it wasn't a mishap with the anticoagulant.)

I'm glad that the sight of blood doesn't cause me to faint. I'm *very* glad than when my wife did faint, she wasn't hurt that badly. Yikes.

Getting up in the morning has a bit more drama than I want right now, but so far, so good. Sunday, I'm allowed to blow my nose.

RedCoPete
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hybrid Masks more comfortable than over the nose FF mask? sleepingbetterinFl 3 73 1 hour ago
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 16 243 3 hours ago
Last Post: jake79
  Dripping Nose Lesley19 3 119 04-10-2024, 01:50 AM
Last Post: Lesley19
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,932 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 299 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 7,298 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 721 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.