Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Frequent Jolting in Sleep
Exclaimation 
Frequent Jolting in Sleep
I was trying to cuddle him tonight while we sleep, and he keeps like jumping/flinching. Which he did a lot before the cpap. But I haven't tried to cuddle with him, or watch him sleep since he started using the Cpap, because I usually go to bed first, so idk if he's been doing this every night still or not. 

I thought it was related to the Sleep Apnea. But if the CPAP is bringing his AHI down, then idk why he keeps jolting. 

I asked him if he's okay and he said yea. And I asked him why he keeps jolting and he said he didn't know. And I asked if he was asleep when he did it, and he said he didn't know. 

(So yes he was probably asleep. ) 

But he's doing it a lot. 

Should I be concerned??

I have another thread here, where we have been making coap changes, but the jolting is concerning me right now and I was hoping to get a quicker response on it. 

https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread...11-Autoset
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Frequent Jolting in Sleep
Do any of these apply to him?

'Excessive Caffeine or Nicotine Consumption
Stimulants like caffeine and nicotine wake up your brain
Trusted Source
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI)
The NHLBI is the nation's leader in the prevention and treatment of heart, lung, blood and sleep disorders.
View Source
. These substances can also stay in your system for several hours, disrupting sleep. In one study, people who stopped drinking coffee six hours before bed
Trusted Source
National Library of Medicine, Biotech Information
The National Center for Biotechnology Information advances science and health by providing access to biomedical and genomic information.
View Source
still had trouble falling asleep. Having too much caffeine or nicotine, or consuming these substances too close to bedtime, may lead to hypnic jerks.

Stress and Anxiety
Both everyday stress
Trusted Source
The National Center for Biotechnology Information advances science and health by providing access to biomedical and genomic information.
View Source
and diagnosed anxiety disorders
Trusted Source
View Source
can contribute to insomnia, which leads to the kind of sleep deprivation that increases your risk of hypnic jerks. When you are stressed or anxious, your cortisol levels remain elevated during sleep, which makes sleep less restful. Anxious thoughts can also keep you up at night, making it hard for you to relax into sleep and disrupting the transition between wakefulness and sleep, potentially triggering a hypnic jerk.

Some people who experience hypnic jerks frequently may even develop anxiety around sleep itself, which only increases their likelihood of experiencing sleep deprivation and more hypnic jerks.'
Post Reply Post Reply
Yea he smokes, drinks soda, energy drinks, and coffee, and has an anxiety disorder.

I was worried he was having trouble breathing or something
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2024, 08:51 AM)Pawpri Wrote: Yea he smokes, drinks soda, energy drinks, and coffee, and has an anxiety disorder.

I was worried he was having trouble breathing or something

Why someone with an anxiety disorder would smoke and drink energy drinks is insane to me.  Okay

Sounds like his sympathetic nervous system might be in overdrive.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2024, 09:36 AM)icipher Wrote: Why someone with an anxiety disorder would smoke and drink energy drinks is insane to me.  Okay

Sounds like his sympathetic nervous system might be in overdrive.

Yeaaaaa he's not very smart lol. I am trying to help him. He doesn't get good sleep because of the sleep apnea which is why he drinks energy drinks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep hygiene is something we do not discuss nearly enough. Here is a brief checklist from Harvard Medical school with sage advise.

https://sdlab.fas.harvard.edu/files/sdla...weekly.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with PL&P, everything we can do towards good sleep hygiene, lessens the demand we place on a *PAP  Device to compensate for. 

Now anyone who has not violated the "Consistent Early Bed Time Rule" can commence to flog me with their pillow now. For I am guilty.

Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm working on it. The man really likes caffeine and going to bed late lmao.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some are afraid to sleep for what they might dream.
--SW
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 7 256 4 hours ago
Last Post: laokg
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 2 117 04-23-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 239 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 234 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  OSCAR High AHI Frequent CA's - New to CPAP nixontahoe 9 477 03-04-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 272 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Frequent wakeups with mild OSA -- help me interpret OSCAR? mcrick 6 721 12-24-2023, 09:48 AM
Last Post: mcrick

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.