Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP and sensory processing disorder
Question 
CPAP and sensory processing disorder
Is there anyone out there who has sensory processing disorder? I do, and it is primarily touch related for me. I believe this is making it very difficult for me to adapt to CPAP. I am very sensitive to the way things feel, textures, tightness, etc. I am having a hard time getting used to the mask. I tried full face because I probably breath through my mouth but just couldn't do it. I felt like I was drowning and couldn't stop moving and messing its the mask. Now I'm using a nasal mask and having the same problem. The feel of the mask makes me want to jump out of my skin, the air blowing on my nose and face, the hose brushing against my arms, etc. I only manage to keep it on for about 1-3 hours and then I just have to get it off.
I am using the ramp on my S9 auto but I don't think it's about that. I've tried wearing the mask to get used to it but same problem.
Just for an example of the sensory issue, I often get dressed 2-3 times in the morning because something I've worn before is just too uncomfortable that day. Itchy, poking me, etc. It can become obsessive, I can't stop focusing on the feeling. I tie and untie my shoes because they're too tight, too loose, etc.
Any ideas?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP and sensory processing disorder
Hi anniepg,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I don't have that problem but hang in there and someone will be able to give you suggestions soon..
Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried a nasal pillows mask? Some of them have minimal places where they touch the skin. Unless you go with an oral only mask, there will be straps on the head. There are the Bella Loops for, I think, the Swift LT. Those straps hook behind the ears.

I don't have what you have but I do have very sensitive skin. I can't tolerate wrinkles or ribbed material. I'm also sensitive to latex and neoprene and can't have it touch my face. I tried a hybrid mask but my skin could not tolerate the air flow. Add in that I am heat sensitive, I have had to be choosy on what type of mask to use.

I use the Breeze which only touches me on the head and on the nostrils. The headgear is a solid piece with minimal straps. There's other masks that do minimal skin contact but they're all nasal pillows. The only other alternative is the oral only mask called the Oracle.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies. I will ask about trying nasal pillows, that could help. The heat is an issue too, and breathing my own breath, so maybe it will help with everything.
Appreciate it!
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, you aren't breathing your own breath. The air vent lets that out.

In the summer, when it is too hot for me to sleep, I put my wrists up on the pillow and let the exhaust air hit them. It is slightly cooler than the ambient air and the sensation gives me the illusion the air in the room is moving. I usually fall asleep right after that.

I have tried various nasal masks over the years. Even tried the Breeze's version (it has a tiny little cup that covers the nose) but I found it too hot and smothering. It wasn't, it just felt like it.

Some of the nasal pillows fit under the nose with the pillows going into the nostrils. I could not tolerate the feel of the material on my lip. Irritated the crap out of me. My supplier are idiots and I'm having to switch from the Breeze back to the Swift LT. The headgear has straps that come down the cheeks. Luckily, the mask comes with covers for the straps. I wash them every other week (more in the summer). It keeps the rough straps off my skin.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2013, 02:15 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Actually, you aren't breathing your own breath. The air vent lets that out.

Actually, not completely. This is actually the issue I'm going though, although I appear to be a lot less sensitive than @anniepg. I use a nasal mask, and I get bothered by the warm moist air from my exhalation on my nose. Fortunately, the next inhalation is mainly fresh cool air, which alleviates the bother - until I exhale again. As a side-sleeper, it appears to be worst on the bottom side where the pillow contact may shift the mask somewhat, creating a bit of a "dead zone" to the incoming air.

I have found that adjusting the rotation angle of the hose inlet (the thing that freely rotates around) does change the specifics of the incoming flow to reduce the "dead zones" and reduces the bother.

With regards to nasal pillows @anniepg, you are going to initially dislike them intensely. It will feel like a jet of air going into your nostrils, which can be extremely disconcerting. Increasing (or turning on) the humidification will help significantly. I'm currently trying a set and am having mixed success. The "stuffiness" sensation (at least for me) is primarily an outside-of-the-nose feeling, so I was able to tolerate the warmer air from the humidifier. I did find that the warmer air tended to increase my overall body warmth, which makes sense because you are not losing as much heat warming the air in your lungs.

Good luck, and keep trying!
Post Reply Post Reply
Your logic is slightly flawed but that's fine. The end result is the same.

And not everyone dislikes nasal pillows when they first used them. I loved them. I didn't feel like it was a jet at all.

A mask is very personal. What works for one is not going to work for another. And it also depends on the pressure. A higher pressure is going to be more noticeable than a lower pressure.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks again for all of the replies! I don't know how I'll feel about the nasal pillows, though I do agree that the problems mainly seem to be on the outside where I can feel things on my nose and face. I do use the humidity and have been trying higher levels. I'm not sure yet whether higher or lower humidity feels better. I do feel that not all of the exhalation goes out through the vent holes, and that the next breath cools the air off again but then it is warm the minute you breathe out. I guess that's a matter of getting used to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it is warm but is quickly pushed out the vent before your next breath. That's why the inhale is cooler. You won't feel much of that warmth at all with nasal pillows.

And not all nasal pillows are the same. I had to switch from my Breeze to the Swift LT and I'm having difficulty breathing against the air. So much so that I am considering turning the ramp back on! So if one nasal pillow doesn't work for you, try another. Also with the Swift LT, I'm not liking how the head gear comes around and rests on my cheeks. It could just be I've got to get used to it but in the meantime, it's frustrating. I may have to go in for a fitting and try a nasal pillow that works like the Breeze and has less material on my face.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2013, 03:12 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: You won't feel much of that warmth at all with nasal pillows.

I agree completely.

(06-07-2013, 03:12 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I'm having difficulty breathing against the air.

Let me first say that I found the same issue. Having said that, the physics of that confuse me. If the system is working correctly, the pressure provided to the airway should be the same regardless of the mask being used, and therefore the pressure felt on exhale should also be the same. But it definitely feels like the resistance to exhale is higher with nasal pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  REM Sleep Disorder Johnboy 0 513 09-09-2020, 08:10 AM
Last Post: Johnboy
  REM Sleep Behaviour Disorder Davidacarrick 5 1,040 11-04-2019, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Davidacarrick
  [News] Expectant Father Dies in Crash; Family Blames Sleep Disorder ApneaNews 21 7,221 03-31-2018, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  Catathrenia: a different kind of sleep disorder treated with xPAP HalfAsleep 2 1,848 01-31-2018, 12:58 AM
Last Post: kiwii
  Sleep Disorder Text books or Literature doickle 2 1,206 02-10-2017, 04:15 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Amara View - Straps Aggravate TMJ Disorder oldbushie 4 1,823 12-17-2016, 09:19 AM
Last Post: oldbushie
  What is "Clear Airway" it's not in the sleep disorder glossery Tiercel 8 2,454 06-22-2016, 08:29 PM
Last Post: richb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.