Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP and water retention?
Grin 
CPAP and water retention?
I don't know if there is any connection, but since I've been using my CPAP machine I seem to be retaining more fluids. I notice at the end of the day that I have mild "cankles" like I do sometimes on my period. Can any of you comment on this apparent cause and effect?

My belly is bloated as well, though I was attributing that more to the aerophagia. The feeling of having swallowed a lot of air, and the associated gas coming out both ends Big Grin had been subsiding, but I still feel and look bloated.

Speaking of aerophagia, does it result primarily from breathing through your mouth?

Thanks, Dooley
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP and water retention?
I've never heard of CPAP causing water retention. Not saying it's not possible, just I've not heard of it.

There's a lot of reasons for it, one of which is the hot weather. So it could be pure coincidence, especially if you live in one of the areas being slow cooked. Some of the others are salty foods (but it takes a lot for most people), high blood pressure, prolonged sitting (like plane ride or long car trip), and kidney disease. And pregnancy, of course.

I strongly suggest that you see your GP about it.

As for aerophagia, not, it is not directly related to mouth breathing. It is air swallowing.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I did recall its been discussed in the old forum. FYI - Just went back there and copied the thread
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-retention
..............................................................................................

Aerophagia
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Aerophagia
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dooley, Beter late than never for me, but, Welcome! to the forum. I haven't heard of CPAP causing more water retention. I'll have to look at the threads Zonk posted from the old forum, sounds interesting.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the welcome Trish, and thanks Zonk for posting that thread. Very interesting stuff. My edema is not severe (less than I have had with periods in the past), so I'll keep an eye on it. Hopefully it will fade away with time.

Dooley
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi again Dooley, You're welcome. That's good that your edema isn't too serious, so hopefully it will go away over time. Best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
This goes to show you can find anything on the Internet. Been using my cpap for 2 nights. On the first morning I woke up with water retention and thought nothing if it since I trained hard at the gym with weights the day before. But this morning I knew it had to be related to my cpap. I'm thankful to see I'm not the only one. I will mention this on my next appointment. I'm just concerned about the health impact. I'm wondering since this post is older if anyone has noticed your body overcomes this in time? Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day CrystalM, welcome to Apnea Board.

One of the side effects of sleep apnea is frequent night time urination. Prior to going on the hose it was common to have 3 or 4 toilet breaks every night Sad With apnea under control, this problem largely goes away, but there is a lot of fluid to get rid of in the morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
yep. Daria Vader and I just posted to older threads on this subject.....

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid101860

you are not alone. we need to help each other find out if this continues or whether it wears off.

so, please chime in if you've been through it.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2012, 06:26 AM)Dooley Wrote: Thanks for the welcome Trish, and thanks Zonk for posting that thread. Very interesting stuff. My edema is not severe (less than I have had with periods in the past), so I'll keep an eye on it. Hopefully it will fade away with time.

Dooley

Hi Dooley, Am wondering, did your issue with edema resolve? I'm new to CPAP and also new onset of edema. If resolved, how was that managed? thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 28 8 hours ago
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,731 11 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,311 Yesterday, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 151 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 197 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 342 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33
  Soft Cervical Collar and Heat Retention Columbiabill 3 353 01-21-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.