Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP as breathing aid for awake patients
CPAP as breathing aid for awake patients
I found it interesting in the Netflix mini-series "Pandemic"  in Episode 1 they show a hospital in India, I believe, where a woman has low O2 and they have her on what definitely seems to be a CPAP machine.    Is anyone aware if this is standard procedure anywhere?   

Just thought it was interesting
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP as breathing aid for awake patients
I haven't seen that show, but a couple of possibilities come to mind:

It could have been a hospital grade non-invasive ventilator which looks superficially like a CPAP, such as a Resmed Stellar. https://www.resmed.com/au/en/healthcare-...r-150.html

Or it could be one of the higher level CPAPs such as the Resmed Lumis, which looks exactly like a CPAP. https://www.resmed.com/au/en/healthcare-...ap-st.html

Could even be an ASV type machine.

I doubt very much if it would be a plain vanilla CPAP or APAP, as they don't ventilate the patient in the same way as the machines I mentioned above.
Post Reply Post Reply
Update - I'm watching that episode now. The machine looks like an old Respironics Series 1 or something like that. From the way it was supporting her breathing I'd guess it is an ASV. I don't know if Philips made a proper ventilator in that pattern.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have not seen the series, but it sounds like a fictional or dramatized or "based on a true story" production. The entertainment industry is notorious for not caring about technical details. Some prop master had to come up with some fake hospital equipment for fake doctors to use on fake patients. My wife is a nurse and is always saying "that's wrong" or "that can't happen". I am a nuclear engineer and they rarely get anything right in that area.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is a documentary with actual in-hoslital footage. It's not a drama or fiction. No prop master involved - the lady was in a hospital in Jaipur and her breathing was being supported by what looked like an old Philips CPAP/ASV.
Post Reply Post Reply
Article about using CPAP as an alternative to intubation in selected cases
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,179 Yesterday, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Jorgo
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 153 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 175 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 516 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 675 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Nasal Breathing / Septoplasty questions Ptee8899 7 387 02-13-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 222 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.