Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP as cause of hypercapnia symptoms
RE: CPAP as cause of hypercapnia symptoms
IMO 7cm is so low, turning off EPR (C-flex) would be a good idea.
If you can start collecting all the rest of the data and use it with SleepyHead you just might be able pinpoint issues like this overnight.

Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Zonk, thank you for a good explaination of how the macine works with the C-Flex on and the mask. This, for me at least, proves newer is not always better. I still have my old CPAP that just blows air (does have a ramp I never used) and masks with good vents. I am going back to using it. The Phillips Respironcis machine is being returned and Medicare and my secondary will be refunded.

My doctor did not order a machine that only recorded usage and I would not have stood for that. Last time I checked I was in charge of my life and healthcare and not subject to the CPAP police.
Post Reply Post Reply
I beat my brains out the other night trying to get Sleepyhead to accept the data and it would not. Actually I tried ResScan too repeatedly until I discovered it would not read data for my machine. Then I went back to Sleepyhead again and nothing. I tried Sleepyhead again yesterday morning and every trick I tried would not get the data into the program. The notes with the program say "System One" is supported. I tried putting the raw data into areas of the program where I thought it should go and that did not help. Any ideas?

(04-04-2013, 06:06 AM)Shastzi Wrote: IMO 7cm is so low, turning off EPR (C-flex) would be a good idea.
If you can start collecting all the rest of the data and use it with SleepyHead you just might be able pinpoint issues like this overnight.

Wink

Post Reply Post Reply
if the data is in a compatible format you should be able to point SleepyHead at the folder the files are in and it can do the rest.

:/
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2013, 12:22 PM)Kellysfriend Wrote: I beat my brains out the other night trying to get Sleepyhead to accept the data and it would not. ... I tried Sleepyhead again yesterday morning and every trick I tried would not get the data into the program.

Hi Kellysfriend,

There is a patch which needs to be installed for SleepyHead to work with the '60 series of Philips Respironics machines.

Hopefully, someone will post a link to the patch.

But I think your Respironics "Plus" machine only records number of hours used. A "Plus" machine is definitely a minus.

The ResMed "Escape" and "Escape Auto" models also only report number of hours used or not much else.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
The links to the Series 60 Patches for SleepyHead are in this thread:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...e-software

And yep, if you have a REMstar Plus (Philips-Respironics) or an Escape (ResMed model), those doesn't record any data at all except for hours used. Sad

See this Wiki article:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2013, 12:07 PM)Kellysfriend Wrote: Zonk, thank you for a good explaination of how the macine works with the C-Flex on and the mask. This, for me at least, proves newer is not always better. I still have my old CPAP that just blows air (does have a ramp I never used) and masks with good vents. I am going back to using it. The Phillips Respironcis machine is being returned and Medicare and my secondary will be refunded.

The exhalation pressure relief is a cool thing to have. It makes it easier for folks with higher pressures to breathe out. But like Zonk said, with a pressure of 7, you probably don't need it.

If you do decide to stay with your older machine, have the DME check to make sure it is putting out the pressure it is supposed to be. Over time, many of them start losing their umph and do not put out the correct pressure. I tried to find out more about the machine you have listed in your profile and couldn't find anything on it. The closest I got was a 250 but that's a mobile ventilator.

Quote:My doctor did not order a machine that only recorded usage and I would not have stood for that. Last time I checked I was in charge of my life and healthcare and not subject to the CPAP police.

In your first post, you say the machine is a "Respironics REMstar Plus C-Flex CPAP". If that is true, then you got tricked. That is not a data capable machine. It only records hours used, nothing else. SuperSleeper referred to an article that explains the different machines and which to avoid.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2013, 06:46 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: All CPAP masks made in the last several years or more have exhaust ports.

Most definitely NOT true, and the difference can be deadly.

There are a number of unvented CPAP masks made for use only with an external exhalation port like the Respironics Whisper Swivel. The get used in hospitals sometimes, and are usually labeled "hospital use only."

Occasionally, someone will bring one home from the hospital. They'll occasionally show up on ebay or other "resale" sites, or even a few online supply sites without a good warning that they require an external exhalation port. This could be deadly for a "normal" patient, doubly so for a sedated or otherwise impaired patient.

I think these unvented masks rarely make it into the supply stream for "normal" DMEs, so most of them probably don't know that unvented masks exist.

There was a big stink a few years back when Respironics first introduced the ComfortGel Blue mask because some "demonstration sample" masks got distributed without a built in exhalation port.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Swift FX for her mask has an exhaust vent in the elbow. There's no need for a separate exhale vent. Look at the holes in this image.

[Image: banner.jpg]

Do you really have a Swift FX mask of some kind? Mine has about 50 small holes in the elbow for an exhalation vent.

There should be a stream of air coming out through these holes when the machine is blowing air. You should be able to feel the airflow with your hand. If not, check to see if it's blocked somehow. Even at the lowest pressure of 4 cmH2O, you'll get more than enough air to clear out the CO2. The vents are very reliable unless you do something like cover the holes with your arm or lie face down and cover them. Even putting the covers over the vent shouldn't block enough air to matter.

It's not necessary for the air pressure to drop (called CFLEX) in order to clear out the CO2.

The Philips Respironics System One 60 series Plus CPAP machine is the model 260. Take out the water tank to be sure you don't spill any water into the machine, and look on the bottom of the blower unit. If it says something like REF 260P, it's a model 260, and it only collects "compliance" data, i.e. how long you've used the machine. No data on how well your machine is preventing apnea.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
    I do have a Mirage FX for her. Mine is different from yours, that by the way has very nice holes. This picture is very small. The holes are all the way around the place where your nose would poke out if the elbow for the hose was not there. The holes are like very small slits.

I have had the machine for 90 days. It is going to be returned and Medicare and my secondary are going to get a refund. There is something wrong with the macine as well. It has a repair code on it, something is wrong with the "computer" in the machine. I just figured this out.

Do you really have a Swift FX mask of some kind? Mine has about 50 small holes in the elbow for an exhalation vent.

There should be a stream of air coming out through these holes when the machine is blowing air. You should be able to feel the airflow with your hand. If not, check to see if it's blocked somehow. Even at the lowest pressure of 4 cmH2O, you'll get more than enough air to clear out the CO2. The vents are very reliable unless you do something like cover the holes with your arm or lie face down and cover them. Even putting the covers over the vent shouldn't block enough air to matter.

It's not necessary for the air pressure to drop (called CFLEX) in order to clear out the CO2.

The Philips Respironics System One 60 series Plus CPAP machine is the model 260. Take out the water tank to be sure you don't spill any water into the machine, and look on the bottom of the blower unit. If it says something like REF 260P, it's a model 260, and it only collects "compliance" data, i.e. how long you've used the machine. No data on how well your machine is preventing apnea.
[/quote]

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 189 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 930 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Help figuring out why symptoms are back Jess2117 1 293 02-21-2024, 06:39 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  AHI of 10 but severe symptoms? gohoos1998 8 489 01-26-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 137 34,762 01-17-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  some improvement but still having symptoms her.suit 1 244 01-04-2024, 12:15 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Can Mild OSA (AHI of 9) + Severe PLMD be Responsible for severe symptoms? gohoos1998 14 882 11-18-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: gohoos1998

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.