Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dry Mouth Problem Severe
Dry Mouth Problem Severe
I sometimes need to take a break from by bi-pap machine, however, I guess because of the meds I am on, if I do not wear the machine, my dry mouth is so severe that it actually keeps me awake all night. I have dropped from severe range to moderate because of weight loss, and I have never managed to befriend my bi-pap. I swear if it was not for this severe dry mouth I may not even wear it at all. My tongue actually bleeds my mouth gets so dry. And probably not recommended I am sure, I even some nights go to sleep with a tiny piece of gum in my mouth, which does help, but when I wake in the morning there are 100 teenie pieces of dried up gum ALL over my mouth ewwwwww.
Does anybody else suffer from this dry mouth thing as bad as I do, and if so have you found any solutions that actually work? Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dry Mouth Problem Severe
Just to be clear, are you saying you suffer from the dry mouth on the nights when you do NOT use the CPAP?

This sounds like you're breathing through your mouth and drying out your mouth.

We need to know more about your setup. Does your machine say "Philips Respironics?" If so, does it say "REMstar blahblah" near the display? What exactly does it say?

Do you have a separate F&P humidifier attached to your CPAP?

Do you have no dry mouth if you use the CPAP?

Tell us more about your problems with CPAP. There may be a way to fix them.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi binky11, welcome
Dry mouth is a symptom of mouth breathing and the therapy air escaping through the mouth you can use a chinstarp with the nasal mask or switch to full face mask and may be try to adjust humidity setting a bit higher see if it help.
I find keeping my tongue at the top of the mouth against the front teeth help keeping mouth closed together a chinstrap and a nasal mask.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2012, 07:56 PM)archangle Wrote: Just to be clear, are you saying you suffer from the dry mouth on the nights when you do NOT use the CPAP?

This sounds like you're breathing through your mouth and drying out your mouth.

We need to know more about your setup. Does your machine say "Philips Respironics?" If so, does it say "REMstar blahblah" near the display? What exactly does it say?

Do you have a separate F&P humidifier attached to your CPAP?

Do you have no dry mouth if you use the CPAP?

Tell us more about your problems with CPAP. There may be a way to fix them.

Actually I was talking about when I do NOT wear the CPAP, however, because I do breath through my mouth (even with chin strap very tight) I tend to also get very dry mouth even when I wear it (but not near as bad as when I don't)
It says Bi-PaP| Pro with Bi-flex and then just respironics. No remstar, no phillips ect.
I try not to take too many meds after dinner, but doesn't seem to help. With my fms I do have to take meds and am on a fair bit of pain meds.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have some problems with dry mouth. When the dry mouth gets bad enough I put a cough drop between my cheek and gum. It slowly dissolves during the night and keeps saliva in my mouth. You might try cough drops instead of gum.
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2012, 08:00 PM)zonk Wrote: Hi binky11, welcome
Dry mouth is a symptom of mouth breathing and the therapy air escaping through the mouth you can use a chinstarp with the nasal mask or switch to full face mask and may be try to adjust humidity setting a bit higher see if it help.
I find keeping my tongue at the top of the mouth against the front teeth help keeping mouth closed together a chinstrap and a nasal mask.

I had to start using a chin strap and found a big difference in dry mouth and wake ups.
P.S.
My wife says "I can't keep my mouth shut at the best of times!" Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
There's a product called Xyli-Melts or Xyli-Mints....its basically Xylitol.

Sometimes when my dry mouth is really bad, I'll use a couple. There's often still a trace of it come morning....

I'm on a number of meds that cause dry mouth....to where I'm on a prescription only toothpaste for dry mouth.

When my dry mouth is bad, I'm more prone to opening my mouth at night....
You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have heard some people mention the product Biotene for dry mouth. It comes in different types such as sprays, mouth rinse, gel, and as a gum. I believe you can buy it at your pharmacy. Before CPAP I often woke up with dry mouth but it was because I'm a mouth breather. I didn't learn about this product until after I got my CPAP machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2012, 10:25 AM)Bompa Wrote:
(03-08-2012, 08:00 PM)zonk Wrote: Hi binky11, welcome

I had to start using a chin strap and found a big difference in dry mouth and wake ups.
P.S.
My wife says "I can't keep my mouth shut at the best of times!" Oh-jeez

I can have my chin strap so tight it hurts and gives me a headache, however, my mouth is STILL open a bit in the morning when I wake. I am like you, just can't keep my mouth shut LOL

(03-09-2012, 04:41 PM)TheDreamer Wrote: There's a product called Xyli-Melts or Xyli-Mints....its basically Xylitol.

Sometimes when my dry mouth is really bad, I'll use a couple. There's often still a trace of it come morning....

I'm on a number of meds that cause dry mouth....to where I'm on a prescription only toothpaste for dry mouth.

When my dry mouth is bad, I'm more prone to opening my mouth at night....

Do you know where you can get this Xylitol? I have never heard of it. I am in Canada, maybe just available in the USA?
I am so afraid to fall alseep with a mint or anything like that, I am afraid I would choke on it?
Do you find the toothpaste helps for dry mouth at night?

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2012, 07:55 PM)iSnooze Wrote: I have heard some people mention the product Biotene for dry mouth. It comes in different types such as sprays, mouth rinse, gel, and as a gum. I believe you can buy it at your pharmacy. Before CPAP I often woke up with dry mouth but it was because I'm a mouth breather. I didn't learn about this product until after I got my CPAP machine.

I know we have Biotene here in my Canadian city, although never saw it in gum form ever. Have you tried any of their products, and if so did they work?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 23 3 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 363 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,558 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 313 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 551 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,076 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.