Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] buying a CPAP from the US for use in Australia.
RE: buying a CPAP from the US for use in Australia.
Just some info for others in Australia that will be purchasing a machine from the USA.
I have had a call from Fedex stating there is an import charge for my machine.
I asked why I was being charged when the item is exempt from duty as it is medical equipment. It seems the government now has in place a duty that is payable on all goods over $1000 regardless if the item is duty free or not. The calculation to arrive at that figure is cost of item plus any shipping and related charges. Then the total amount is converted to $AU and if its over $1000 the fee is charged. The item will not be released until the fee is paid. The fee I paid was $56.20
I'm a little disappointed in the government, but even when I add this additional fee to the total I have paid for the machine it is still far cheaper than what the sharks here in Australia charge for the same machine.

Chip
Post Reply Post Reply
Chip that is the standard fee levied by Australian Customs and Border Protection for processing any imported item valued over $1000, regardless of whether is attracts duty or not, it has been in effect for a long time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well worth avoiding Resmed's outrageous "Australia Surcharge"
Post Reply Post Reply
Why we always pick on poor ResMed? Phillips Respironcis and Fisher Paykel does it too
Even Chinese made machines jumping on the band wagon, their prices in Australia are treble of US prices
Post Reply Post Reply
Because I only buy resmed?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2014, 04:40 PM)lab rat Wrote: Because I only buy resmed?
I buy ResMed too and source my stuff from all over the place, locally I get the filters and the power cord

To be fair to ResMed, they have trialist program for newbies which ought to be commended on such good work
ResMed trialist program https://www.sleepvantage.com.au/trialist-program.html

Yes, all geared up to promote their products but I don't see any harm in doing that ... if that going to help newbies to be fitted with the right mask and be compliant with therapy. Many newbies quit the the therapy and mask problems is number one reason for quitting
Post Reply Post Reply
Well having been a loyal resmed customer for over 18 years I want to save money not paycfor a program I won't use.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2014, 05:56 PM)zonk Wrote:
(11-03-2014, 04:40 PM)lab rat Wrote: Because I only buy resmed?
I buy ResMed too and source my stuff from all over the place, locally I get the filters and the power cord

To be fair to ResMed, they have trialist program for newbies which ought to be commended on such good work
ResMed trialist program https://www.sleepvantage.com.au/trialist-program.html

Yes, all geared up to promote their products but I don't see any harm in doing that ... if that going to help newbies to be fitted with the right mask and be compliant with therapy. Many newbies quit the the therapy and mask problems is number one reason for quitting

Thats interesting Zonk, the sleep therapist that I hired my machine from is listed in sleepvantages site.
I will now be asking the question why I wasnt offered the free trial as a newly diagnosed person. i will be quite happy to plaster the outlets name all over the net if I dont get a satisfactory answer. It just seems that if you are diagnosed with sleep apnea we are open slather and they think everyone is cashed up and will just pay up.
I am very appreciative of all the information that this forum offers.

Chip

Post Reply Post Reply
back in '96 you could rent to own resmeds. I wanted to pay outright but they insisted I take the 24 monthly payment plan at no interest.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2014, 04:34 PM)zonk Wrote: Why we always pick on poor ResMed? Phillips Respironcis and Fisher Paykel does it too
Even Chinese made machines jumping on the band wagon, their prices in Australia are treble of US prices

But only Resmed is an Australian based company with subsidiaries in other countries??

Sorry, I just can't see how Resmed being a locally based company can't sell to AUSTRALIAN customers at the same price as they sell their products in the USA. If it's not "price gouging" then it's something pretty close!

Time someone got on to South Australian Federal Parliament Independent Senator Nick Xenephon about all the companies and their unfair pricing for their 'sleep apnea' products to Australian citizens, this would be right up his alley!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 700 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  REBATE on your Electricity bill [Australia] libster 0 173 02-05-2024, 07:27 PM
Last Post: libster
  Buying CPAP supplies online: who do you prefer? Hmm888 1 818 09-06-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Equipment] AirSense 11 app not supported in Australia aussiemark22 17 3,963 08-04-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: yuqinhuang
  Buying ASV online without a prescription books456 19 1,981 05-31-2023, 09:58 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
Question [Equipment] Buying Used ResMed "Floor Demo Model" - Limitations? tehsygi 11 1,083 05-29-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Quick Question - Worth Buying ASV If Tweaking CPAP Isn't Working? Apnea23 3 638 04-18-2023, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.