Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] buying a CPAP from the US for use in Australia.
buying a CPAP from the US for use in Australia.
Hi there, I am just finishing my first month on a PAP trial and am using the new Resmed airsense 10 autoset, although for the latter part it has been switched to constant which I am fine with. My required pressure is 8.5 which seems lowish reading other users stats so constant might be more bearable. Have struggled with it to be honest but am getting there and averaging 5.5 hours now on the machine. Right now though I am in Aussie tax shock at the price of these machines locally compared to what I am seeing on US sites. I've read a few posts which suggests others have bought from overseas. Could anyone please provide some guidance or experience on buying overseas. A recommendation of site, delivery times and how the required prescription works for an overseas purchase would be a great help. Many thanks for your help in anticipation.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: buying a CPAP from the US for use in Australia.
We have a number of Aussies from across the Continent...
They'll be able help you.

I have seen a number of posts where the machines are much more expensive in Oz.
You are likely in the time zone range of UTC+8 to UTC+10. So, they should be getting up soon.

username zonk is in Oz -- and a very helpful person.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum, Scottie
Suppliers List http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List
I've bought stuff from suppliers #2 and #10, both recommended and ship to Australia. Other suppliers dare not disobey Resmed draconian policy which prohibit sending Resmed products outside US

Not a lot of price of difference between constant CPAP and APAP, APAP is better investment, only cost few dollars more and can be used in either modes (CPAP and AutoSet) ... two machines in one

As for AirSense 10, avoid AirSense 10 CPAP
Airsense 10 Elite, AirSense 10 AutoSet and AirSense 10 AutoSet 4Her are data capable machines
AirSense 10 AutoSet 4Her same price as AirsSense 10 AutoSet but does 3 modes ... CPAP (Elite), AutoSet, and AutoSet 4Her .... 3 machines in one
You might do not use AutoSet 4Her mode but only 4Her version report RERAs in all 3 modes
If you don't mind the color, go with AirSense 10 AutoSet 4Her version

Machines are multi-voltage, you only need US/AU plug adapter or do what I do, get an Aussie S8 power cord (works with S9 and AirSense 10 power supply) from Supplier #13, I buy filters from them too and the rest of stuff from US

Once you get the machine delivered, you need to set it to your preference, CPAP pressure, temp C, date and time, etc ...
You find all the information in the clinical manual which is available via email, scroll down to section three
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Software download link http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...-and-Links

You need to be aware that machines have to be returned to place of purchase for any warranty issues. If you have insurance, check with them, I,m with Bupa, they pay $500 for machines purchased at local rip-off prices but not a dime for machines purchased on-line

Edit: In Australia, CPAP machines are GST exempt, read somewhere there is some small import tax for purchases over $1000

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi scottie199,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I know CPAP therapy can take some getting used to but I encourage you to just stick with it, it does get better.
Hang in there for morr answers to your questions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2014, 04:09 PM)scottie199 Wrote: Hi there, I am just finishing my first month on a PAP trial and am using the new Resmed airsense 10 autoset, although for the latter part it has been switched to constant which I am fine with. My required pressure is 8.5 which seems lowish reading other users stats so constant might be more bearable. Have struggled with it to be honest but am getting there and averaging 5.5 hours now on the machine. Right now though I am in Aussie tax shock at the price of these machines locally compared to what I am seeing on US sites. I've read a few posts which suggests others have bought from overseas. Could anyone please provide some guidance or experience on buying overseas. A recommendation of site, delivery times and how the required prescription works for an overseas purchase would be a great help. Many thanks for your help in anticipation.
I recently bought a "gently used" Resmed S9 Autoset from Supplier #2, can't speak highly enough of their service and communication, recommend them highly. They also do great deals on "open box" machines with zero hours use, worth looking for if available in the S10.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2014, 06:45 PM)zonk Wrote: Welcome to the forum, Scottie

Machines are multi-voltage, you only need US/AU plug adapter or do what I do, get an Aussie S8 power cord (works with S9 and AirSense 10 power supply) from Supplier #13,

Edit: In Australia, CPAP machines are GST exempt, read somewhere there is some small import tax for purchases over $1000

You do not need to order that power cord from overseas - goto your local Computer store or Jaycar or any other electronic store - they are a common cord used in the computer industry - your local laptop supplier may even have one.

If importing and it is over $1000 you can apply to to have any duty waived as it a medical device - you need to complete form B374 - See here:-

Aust Govt. Guide

And here

Form B374 PDF
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2014, 07:11 PM)Skypilot Wrote:

Machines are multi-voltage, you only need US/AU plug adapter or do what I do, get an Aussie S8 power cord (works with S9 and AirSense 10 power supply) from Supplier #13,

You do not need to order that power cord from overseas - goto your local Computer store or Jaycar or any other electronic store - they are a common cord used in the computer industry - your local laptop supplier may even have one.

If importing and it is over $1000 you can apply to to have any duty waived as it a medical device - you need to complete form B374 - See here:-

Aust Govt. Guide

And here

Form B374 PDF
I got the S8 power cord from Supplier #13, they,re in Queensland
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQB3SGzJ8pT3Y28UUWD2dZ...KV6dicqAHw]
Post Reply Post Reply
Suppliers List http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List
I've bought stuff from suppliers #2 and #10, both recommended and ship to Australia. Other suppliers dare not disobey Resmed draconian policy which prohibit sending Resmed products outside US

Not a lot of price of difference between constant CPAP and APAP, APAP is better investment, only cost few dollars more and can be used in either modes (CPAP and AutoSet) ... two machines in one

Airsense 10 Elite, AirSense 10 AutoSet and AirSense 10 AutoSet 4Her are data capable machines
AirSense 10 AutoSet 4Her same price as AirsSense 10 AutoSet but does 3 modes ... CPAP (Elite), AutoSet, and AutoSet 4Her .... 3 machines in one
You might do not use AutoSet 4Her mode but only 4Her version report RERAs in all 3 modes

Machines are multi-voltage, you only need US/AU plug adapter or do what I do, get an Aussie S8 power cord (works with S9 and AirSense 10 power supply) from Supplier #13, I buy filters from them too and the rest of stuff from US

Once you get the machine delivered, you need to set it to your preference, CPAP pressure, temp C, date and time, etc ...
You find all the information in the clinical manual which is available via email, scroll down to section three
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Software download link http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...-and-Links

You need to be aware that machines have to be returned to place of purchase for any warranty issues. If you have insurance, check with them, I,m with Bupa, they pay $500 for machines purchased at local rip-off prices but not a dime for machines purchased on-line

As to the color or style of a CPAP/APAP - that can be covered with a pre-made "skin" or a Do-it-yourself skin or cover. I covered mine (ResMed S9 with brushed steel look) and really like it. Let me know if you want to see it or see the instruction on how to do it.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2014, 06:45 PM)zonk Wrote: Not a lot of price of difference between constant CPAP and APAP, APAP is better investment, only cost few dollars more and can be used in either modes (CPAP and AutoSet) ... two machines in one

Zonk, thanks that's awesome which goes for everyone else as well. When you say don't buy Air sense 10 CPAP. IS that just a value for money think, or is the machine no good. I'm on 8.6 setting and APAP and CPAP seems no different, i can also fall asleep with no ramp, so i was thinking of buying the Airsense 10 CPAP locally for $1000 after Health fund rebate and the mask overseas for $100 rather than $300. (i cant bring myself to pay $2000 for APAP version). Anything experience wise i should be aware of with Airsense 10 CPAP.

Thanks Scott.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2014, 09:37 PM)scottie199 Wrote: Anything experience wise i should be aware of with Airsense 10 CPAP.

Thanks Scott.
Basically all machines are CPAP machines, to include CPAP in the name is misleading and confusing also deceptive
AirSense 10 CPAP is the basic model, as you can see in the comparison guide does not report advanced event detection
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xkzan3a5trw8kx...-Guide.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 702 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  REBATE on your Electricity bill [Australia] libster 0 175 02-05-2024, 07:27 PM
Last Post: libster
  Buying CPAP supplies online: who do you prefer? Hmm888 1 820 09-06-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Equipment] AirSense 11 app not supported in Australia aussiemark22 17 3,964 08-04-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: yuqinhuang
  Buying ASV online without a prescription books456 19 1,986 05-31-2023, 09:58 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
Question [Equipment] Buying Used ResMed "Floor Demo Model" - Limitations? tehsygi 11 1,084 05-29-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Quick Question - Worth Buying ASV If Tweaking CPAP Isn't Working? Apnea23 3 641 04-18-2023, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.