Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] buying a CPAP from the US for use in Australia.
RE: buying a CPAP from the US for use in Australia.
(10-15-2014, 09:15 PM)Skypilot Wrote: And using a plug rated for 115 volts on 240 volts -

woozie38 Said:-
" I have done this with each of the four machines purchased from the US. "

Still does not make it better, right nor safe.

More current flows with the lower voltage than is the case with the higher voltage. Study Ohm's law - W=I x E or I = W/E... struth!
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
You're ignoring the voltage. It is not just the current.

I suppose, using ohms law, you would use a 115v plug on 450v as the current is less again. Good one!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-16-2014, 07:23 PM)Skypilot Wrote: You're ignoring the voltage. It is not just the current.

I suppose, using ohms law, you would use a 115v plug on 450v as the current is less again. Good one!

Hey SP I'm just trying to be helpful. I used to teach this stuff in my working years. 415V is 3 phase & what you suggest in not possible. Current is the flow of electrons, Voltage (EMF) is the force that causes the electrons to flow. When a potential gets as high as 415V then you will get arcing & that is dangerous.
Post Reply Post Reply
OMG you used to teach this stuff?
(10-16-2014, 10:21 PM)woozie38 Wrote: I used to teach this stuff in my working years. When a potential gets as high as 415V then you will get arcing & that is dangerous.

And then you say this:-

(10-13-2014, 09:09 PM)woozie38 Wrote: my solution is better & safer, ......

And you say it is safer and better to twist the pins of a plug to get it to fit a power socket for which it is not designed and then use that power cord and plug at twice the voltage for which it is rated and it is not dangerous?

I am glad I was not in your classes.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2014, 09:09 PM)woozie38 Wrote:
(10-13-2014, 09:02 PM)Skypilot Wrote:
(10-13-2014, 03:49 PM)woozie38 Wrote: [quote='scottie199' pid='86533' dateline='1412716171']
I simply twisted the two parallel US tangs slightly with a pair of pliers until they fitted the angle our 3 pin power points (GPO's).

Just go to Jaycar, dicksmith or even JB HIFI or any computer store and get the cable locally. Bending the pins is a very bad idea and is dangerous. (and if there are problems and it is determined you were using an illegally modified, unapproved plug/cord you would probably be up the creek without a paddle).

The F&P icon doesn't have a removable cord. One would need to cut the existing plug off the cable and fit a new 3 pin plug - an unsightly job - my solution is better & safer, especially if one doesn't live in a city or town. (actually I live West of Toowoomba).

The safe way would be to make a simple jumper .. and was what I was taught many moons ago .. your method could cause numerous unsafe conditions .. also glad I wasn't in your class although you would never have been qualified to teach where I went ..
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2014, 05:47 PM)Skypilot Wrote: OMG you used to teach this stuff?
(10-16-2014, 10:21 PM)woozie38 Wrote: I used to teach this stuff in my working years. When a potential gets as high as 415V then you will get arcing & that is dangerous.

And you say it is safer and better to twist the pins of a plug to get it to fit a power socket for which it is not designed and then use that power cord and plug at twice the voltage for which it is rated and it is not dangerous?

Hi, What I have stated is scientific fact - check it out. The plug pins only require a slight twist - not much - the cable is plenty heavy enough. You are confusing voltage with current. It is high current flow that causes cables, contacts etc to heat up. The draw of my PAP machine is only 1.07 amperes and therefore consumes 235 Watts of power @ 220 volts.
Cables, plugs, sockets, switches etc.are not voltage rated - they are current rated. Please lets not have anymore of this nonsense, it is of no help to other board members. You don't need to insult me either - I would not insult you for quids.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2014, 07:06 PM)woozie38 Wrote: Please lets not have anymore of this nonsense, it is of no help to other board members. You don't need to insult me either - I would not insult you for quids.

That is right just get the right plug for the right socket and be done with it!

Not insulting stating an opinion.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2014, 07:06 PM)woozie38 Wrote:

Hi, What I have stated is scientific fact - check it out. The plug pins only require a slight twist - not much - the cable is plenty heavy enough. You are confusing voltage with current. It is high current flow that causes cables, contacts etc to heat up. The draw of my PAP machine is only 1.07 amperes and therefore consumes 235 Watts of power @ 220 volts.
Cables, plugs, sockets, switches etc.are not voltage rated - they are current rated. Please lets not have anymore of this nonsense, it is of no help to other board members. You don't need to insult me either - I would not insult you for quids.

You are both correct. But something worthwhile considering.
While it may be OK to twist the pins and yes it may work without a problem, if such an action went wrong and caused a fire, I think you will find every insurance company would wipe their hands of the claim, just the nature of any insurance company if they can save themselves money.
Every fire in Australia is investigated by the relevant fire departments investigators and reports are submitted. It would be absolutely devastating for a person to find out that their insurance claim is denied because of an action such as twisting the supply pins of a power plug.

Chip

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2014, 03:07 AM)chiphead Wrote:
(10-17-2014, 07:06 PM)woozie38 Wrote:

You are both correct. But something worthwhile considering.
While it may be OK to twist the pins and yes it may work without a problem, if such an action went wrong and caused a fire, I think you will find every insurance company would wipe their hands of the claim, just the nature of any insurance company if they can save themselves money.
Every fire in Australia is investigated by the relevant fire departments investigators and reports are submitted. It would be absolutely devastating for a person to find out that their insurance claim is denied because of an action such as twisting the supply pins of a power plug.

Chip

I agree Chip - it would be devastating but unless the seat of the fire was exactly at the PAP machine's plug with evidential proof of some arcing occurring, it would be hard to establish that the slightly twisted pins had caused the blaze. And it would need to be established that slight twisting of pug pins was a negligent act. We know that insurance company's so called "loss adjusters" will strive no end to find circumstances that mitigate a claim so for that reason alone it may be better to get another plug & lead. My suggestion covers the circumstance of opening the box and finding the plug won't fit & having to drive many Kms to get another.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gents, I think we've gone too far off topic here and the matter has been thoroughly ventilated. Let's call a halt now, OK? If you'd like to continue the discussion between you, perhaps the PM system would be appropriate.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 758 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  REBATE on your Electricity bill [Australia] libster 0 190 02-05-2024, 07:27 PM
Last Post: libster
  Buying CPAP supplies online: who do you prefer? Hmm888 1 844 09-06-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Equipment] AirSense 11 app not supported in Australia aussiemark22 17 4,014 08-04-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: yuqinhuang
  Buying ASV online without a prescription books456 19 2,069 05-31-2023, 09:58 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
Question [Equipment] Buying Used ResMed "Floor Demo Model" - Limitations? tehsygi 11 1,107 05-29-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Quick Question - Worth Buying ASV If Tweaking CPAP Isn't Working? Apnea23 3 670 04-18-2023, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.