Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP carry-on case and flying question?
CPAP carry-on case and flying question?
CPAP carry-on case and flying question

I am flying more often for work but not enough to justify a travel machine.  I realize that medical equipment is acknowledged by airlines and I always carry it on.  For work I have just received perhaps one of the largest laptop computers that I also take with.  The cases for both are in addition to my regular checked luggage.  I am trying to combine functions and eliminate one container.

If I were to purchase a single larger carry-in case that would be for both my computer AND my CPAP equipment, how will the airlines view it?  At that point it is still containing medical equipment but also packing my computer.  A case that I am looking at would be within carry-on size limitations and I would also be bringing my dopp kit as well as some work items in it.  At this point, would the airline no longer see this as just a medical device even though there is one inside? 

I realize that the larger carry-on will most likely be my best option even if I have to pay any added cost to do so. Anyone have recommendation for such an all purpose case for work and medical?

Thanks,
frank.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP carry-on case and flying question...?
A bag with **just** medical equipment in it qualifies for the medical equipment carry on exemption. You don't get a special "your bag is exempt no matter how big it is and no matter what else is in it because you have a PAP machine in it" pass from the airlines.

The larger "carry on" roller bags that do not fit under the seat are much more likely to be an issue and have to be gate checked if there is no overhead room than a bag that will fit under your seat. Two bags may be less convenient, but they may give you more options. It really depends on your priorities and how willing you would be to check both your laptop and your PAP machine at the gate if the overhead bin space filled up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is it necessary to put them in one case? ( other than for your own personal convenience )

From what I have read here on this forum CPAP/medical equipment is not counted in your carry on limit, you can still carry it on over and above the normal carry on weight limit.
Post Reply Post Reply
When travelling I carry 3 bags, my cpap in its bag, a backpack with my laptop, iPad chargers etc. And my roller bag that gets checked if required. I was told that if I have anything else in my cpap bag than my cpap equipment then I remove my right to a free allowance for medical equipment. The cpap slips over the handle of the roller bag and is no hassle
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't put them in one case, it will just confuse security and they may query why you have done this.
eLet the airline know you are taking medical equipment onboard with you and take the computer as hand luggage.
That is what I would do anyway, only thing is you will not be allowed anything else, so if you need anything it will have to fit into the computer bag, or put the computer into a bag with other stuff, but if your computer is huge you might not get a lot in it anyway.
Don't be tempted to put anything else in the CPAP bag, I had problems with that idea as they said it was NOT medical, so combining them might NOT be a good idea.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for confirming what I suspected. I will figure out how to make it work which means CPAP case, a work attache with the computer and a check-in bag...

...first time I will have brought with me 3 items for a simple 3-day trip.
Post Reply Post Reply
As has already bern mentioned:

The CPAP won't count as a carry on, the computer bag will.

What I like doing is taking a high quality daypack (a backpack), that holds a computer and most of my "stuff". The better packs will have compression straps that let you cinch down the pack when it is near empty and expand when full. I can sling it on my back, hang the CPAP case over my shoulder, and free up my hands. I normally check my luggage, though. Technically, you are also allowed one "personal item" like a purse or backpack that can fit under the seat while your carry on goes overhead. But adding the CPAP in addition to that means hauling around a lot of bags.
Post Reply Post Reply
My typical short-trip involves a large rolling carry-on, and I attach both a laptop case and the CPAP case to the extending handle.  It all rolls through the airport and passes security easily.  All electronics need to be removed from their cases and placed in the TSA trays, so both laptop and CPAP are unpacked for security.  Other than that it goes smoothly. Only the roll-on and laptop are counted against carry-on limits.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=6303]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't say I've lots of flight experience, especially with handling medical carry-ons. I will say I'd handle it with separate pieced carry bags like Sleeprider did it. Use the handle to hold it all together while moving around the airport. Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will probably have to do the 3 bags... was attempting to do only 2 with one being a combined computer and CPAP container.  Sure, at first, it would be nice if it were (as a whole) considered medical equipment thus no charged fee.  But, I understand that's pushing the limits.  Even if I had to pay carry-on fee for that single combo configuration then it  brings me down to it plus one other bag.  

I don't mind checking-in the larger piece of regular luggage, but really do not want to to have 2 carry-ons even if both are relatively small.

I have been looking on the "Big A" webshopping.dotcom.place as well as the local Maximum-Depot-Office supply selling place and have some ideas on bag purchase options, but lemme explore the idea of placing computer and CPAP in 1 carry container a little more. There are some attaches I can buy in which both will fit.  Yes, I will pay to carry it on, but member Snore2Sorne mentioned:

"Don't put them in one case, it will just confuse security and they may query why you have done this."

Since I will need to open up luggage and show these items anyway and if I have the TSA/ airline/ CPAP mfgr printed paper document info splayed out... is this still an issue?  I have traveled in the past with the CPAP case as my only carry-on, so I am familiar with procedures with it.  Has anyone done this method and had questions raised?

If I go the 3-bagger route (check 1, carry 2)  by purchasing a new computer carrying vessel and bring it on along with the CPAP.   There are some really nice rolling attache cases available.  I could strap the CPAP to the handle extension of the computer case similar in fashion to the image posted by Sleeprider above.  There is one particular model that even allows the handle and rolling mechanism to detach from the computer case itself such that it can act as the carrying device for the laptop as a totally independent unit.  Other tasteful attache have non-removable wheels and handle, but it is still quite flexible.

I was going to post links to the items that I refer to above that That Big Company on the web that starts with the letter "A."  ...I do not remember if that is allowed here.  It has been a while since last posting here, please remind me... am I permitted to link product to  that Amazing On-the-web shopping.place to show products of which I am considering?  I kinda' recall such practice is a no-no here,  Sorta-kinda'-recall that mentioning places of business if verboten... (I do not think that I really listed any businesses in this post, but please remind me if I am out of line with the rules if over-hinting occurred.)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11 warranty case labrat 3 188 03-21-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 974 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New CPAP user Question mcast10 2 293 01-07-2024, 10:59 AM
Last Post: mcast10
  Was there a question about hackers accessing your CPAP machine. I am experiencing thi DBlake 2 497 12-24-2023, 08:31 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 983 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
  UPS Battery Backup for CPAP in case of power outage puterwiz82 3 1,680 09-04-2023, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Br1sleep
  How do I make the case for BPAP? SleepingFish 18 1,293 08-29-2023, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.