Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP causes nasal congestion
CPAP causes nasal congestion
Hello,

I've been struggling with CPAP machines for over 5 years and have given up on the therapy several times. I started with the Phillips Respironics M-Series with a heated humidifier and a nose mask, but I did not find that it made a difference in the quality of my sleep. Based on a doctor’s recommendation, I purchased the Resmed AirSense 10 with a regular (unheated) humidifier and nasal pillows.

I don’t use the machine regularly, because it makes me extremely congested within 2 hours to the point that I remove the mask in the middle of the night. I then cannot sleep for the rest of the night because of constant sneezing. The congestion usually lasts 2 or 3 days.

I now feel extremely tired basically all the time, so I want to find a way for the treatment to work.

I received several different recommendations to address this issue, as follows:

·           Modify the setting on the humidifier
·           Use a heated hose
·           Better cleaning of the unit and accessories
·           My doctor gave me a prescription for a nasal spray, which has not really helped
·           Get a different type of mask

I am wondering whether anyone can point me in the right path.

Thank you.

David
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP causes nasal congestion
Had the same problem, A shot of Flonase before I go to bed, and then turned down the humidity, I was getting all sorts of stuffiness when I was at 6/8, backed it down to 4, congestion went away. And yeah, get a heated hose, they’re 22 bucks on Amazon.

My settings:
EPR:2
Pressure: 7-12
Ramp off

I am getting amazing results after dialing it in over the first month. My blood pressure is down 20 points, I sleep 7 to 8 hours a night when I used to sleep about four, AHI is reduced from 28 an hour to 1.5. Very happy with this gadget
Glen in Ft Lauderdale

Post Reply Post Reply
Pretty much the same here. Heated tube, manual climate settings at 4 an tube temp 80 degrees. Add a shot of Flonase as needed. Airfit P10 Pillows are the bomb for blasting through congestion.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, maybe I am blind but the ResMed 10 heated hose I see is $60. What am I missing please.

Thanks,
Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
Search resumed heated hose. There is one for $20, $25
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
On amazon

ResMed Climate Line Air Heated Tube for ResMed AirSense 10 & AirCurve 10, 37296

$25

This is on the US Amazon site
Glen in Ft Lauderdale

Post Reply Post Reply
I see the $20 one now. I am looking for a ResMed 10 model. I think this is for 9.

Thanks,
Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m not sure what you’re looking at, the one I posted is for an air sense 10.
Glen in Ft Lauderdale

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. Got it now. 

(Thank-you for pointing out that it was on the United States site. I am in Canada and it was not showing up.)

Cheers and have a great day,
Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
I've found that varying the humidity settings can help with nasal congestion. Regrettably I've also found that varying the settings can considerably aggravate an existing respiratory condition or cause one.
My solution to nasal congestion has been to ignore it or to lie on the other side. If it's bad enough to stop me from sleeping I get up and watch TV for a while until I feel sleepy. Sitting upright works for me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nasal congestion relief sleepingbetterinFl 2 158 03-23-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 321 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 149 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 391 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 865 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Nasal Surgery and CPAP tolerance Norman2195 6 706 12-27-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Do wedged pillows alleviate nasal congestion? NoddingHacker 1 386 12-07-2023, 09:15 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.