Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP cleaning method
CPAP cleaning method
I'm new to cpap, and I have NOT tried this yet, but I'm hoping someone can confirm or reject this idea. My humidifier chamber is large enough to fit my nasal pillow inside it. I usually clean the humidifier by putting a drop of dish soap in there with some warm water and shake it around for a while, and then rinse. If this is ok, then I'm wondering why I can't just put the nasal pillow inside the humidifier while I do this to clean both at once. Would I be doing something wrong? Thanks in advance for your help / ideas.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP cleaning method
I can't think of a definitive answer to your question, but I wonder how effective the swishing will be, and then emptying and rinsing several times to get rid of the suds and accompanying facial oils so that some of it doesn't end up coating the inside of your humidifier chamber.

I would not do this.  Instead, I keep each item separated and clean each by hand, or by swishing.  The cushion is done by hand using dish soap and running warm/hot water.  I know that whatever gets lifted off the silicone gets washed down the drain, and that none of it will end up on anything except possibly my finger tips.  Hose is swished and rinsed separately, and so is my reservoir...when I do that last item every three months or so.  I usually just rinse once and then refill.
Post Reply Post Reply
It might sound funny, but I bought a commercial grade ultrasonic cleaner that has a 6-1/2 liter tub to clean my mask, headgear, hose, tank, elbows and adapters. Yes it was a bit on the expensive side, but I'm really happy with the large tank. It came with a nice stainless steel basket that I set on top of anything that floats. I squirt a little squiggle of baby shampoo in the bottom and use the hose to fill it with hot tap water. I think the machine reads 38 to 42 deg C, and I run it for 15 minutes or so. Everything goes in comfortably except the tank which is round 2. It does a great job in cleaning everything. I follow the ultrasonic cleaner with a good rinse in warm water.

The ultrasonic cleaner won't win any beauty contest on the bathroom counter, but then again, its footprint isn't that big either, which is a big plus.

BTW... The price was in the same ballpark as the CPAP-specific ultrasonic cleaners with a 2 liter tank. And all their feedbacks are complaints of the tank being way too small. I'm glad I bought the one I did. And I'm sure it will outlast me.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
I wash, rinse, or soak parts separately. I can't say there's evidence you'd hurt anything.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do my mask and cushions in the shower while I am taking one. Saves time and effort. Do the hose in the shower as well (when I think to do it). Water tank  is as needed and that is done in the sink. Gets rinsed out every other morning anyways.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I finally ended up purchasing a hose brush for the air hose. Bought it off EBAY.

The ad said that it was extendable to 7'. It arrived and was a fixed length of 39". I contacted the seller and brought that fact to their attention. The seller agreed to refund me 50% of the purchase price.

Haven't used it as of yet. Probably will in the next few days. Looks like it'll do a fine job. So now, I finally have every bit of cleaning equipment I need to keep my CPAP gear squeaky clean. 

Now.....I'm just waiting for my SA therapy to kick in and make me feel more rested.  Unsure
Post Reply Post Reply
What detergent do you use in the shower? Shampoo?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2019, 12:21 PM)stevenospam Wrote: What detergent do you use in the shower? Shampoo?

Yep - generic baby shampoo works like a champ.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was on the board offering thanks for those that responded to my question about the ozone used in SoClean and saw this thread. There were no recommendations on using the SoClean and my wife has been scared away so it's back to manual soap & water cleaning.

In the past I would use a large salad bowl filled with Dawn and vinegar. I would submerge the hose in this mixture and coil the hose up by using one end submersed and the other end would be held tightly on the faucet . I'd be careful to not let the fill end of the hose suck air or I'd loose the suction needed for emptying the bowl and having that flow of water to clean the inside of the hose. While the hose was soaking I would wash the nasal pillows and water tank with the soapy solution. While all that was done a could then take one end of the hose out, being careful not to loose the suction, and let the hose siphon out the water into the sink. 

Cheers, VegasPier
Post Reply Post Reply
I really can't help but think some of you are over-thinking this whole issue. Remember there is a one-way flow of filtered air from the machine through the humidifier up the hose to the mask. The mask is the only thing that comes in contact with your skin during normal operation. Provided you use clean (potable quality) water in the humidifier there is nothing in the circuit that is going to generate pathogens.

Resmed recommend you wash the mask daily and the hose and humidifier weekly. They recommend hot water and pure soap. Nothing else.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 220 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,790 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 182 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 342 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 606 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Mold issue / cleaning CPAP (the unit, not tubing), Resmed S9 NightOwl42 9 755 01-19-2024, 11:29 PM
Last Post: NightOwl42

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.