Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Walk-in Mask Closet
Humidifier: DreamStation
CPAP Pressure: 13-16
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: CPAP True Believer

Sex: Male

RE: CPAP cleaning system
I think it is a matter of perspective. I have seen a lot of posts from those new to CPAP that seem overly concerned about cleaning. I think that So Clean saw this and saw a marketing opportunity. If it makes people feel at ease and more inclined to stick with CPAP, what is the problem? It may be mostly a psychological effect, but sticking with the therapy is not.

Do you need a So Clean? No. But if using one results in better sleep, then use one.
07-17-2016 12:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
eseedhouse Online

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: SimPlus
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 7-10

Other Comments: Also on supplemental O2 at 3L/min. while sleeping.

(07-17-2016 12:02 AM)chill Wrote:  I think it is a matter of perspective. I have seen a lot of posts from those new to CPAP that seem overly concerned about cleaning. I think that So Clean saw this and saw a marketing opportunity. If it makes people feel at ease and more inclined to stick with CPAP, what is the problem?

They are preying on people's fears and collecting money from those people for no good reason. You may not see a problem with that, but I do. You are welcome to your opinion, but I will keep mine.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

I am neither a Doctor, nor any other kind of medical professional.

Actually you know, it is what it isn't.
07-17-2016 12:09 PM
PoolQ Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: AirCurve 10 VAUTO
Mask Make & Model: Amara View
Humidifier: Integrated
CPAP Pressure: 6.2, 15, PS4.0

Other Comments:

Wow what a rough crowd Smile

I have a small collection of things I bought when I first started CPAP, including the famous P10 mask that was absolutely useless for me. I almost bought a distiller for water and looked at the so-clean.

Is there a use for the so-clean, yes for a few there is. Is it a waste of money for most, yes (IMHO).

The "scam" part could come into play in that they are saying it is the end all, be all for CPAP cleaning. But honestly that is just unethical marketing and is done all the time. Anyone here paid extra for a 3D TV and then found out there is little to no content available and again IMHO is just silly anyway?

I personally have lots of "stuff" around the house over the years that turned out to not be useful.

I have only heard of one person that had an immune problem and uses the so-clean because of that, could be more but I just don't know about them. Buyer beware and ask around this forum before you plunk down a bunch of cash.
07-17-2016 02:07 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
lab rat Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
CPAP Pressure: 8-16
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: Satisfied Resmed customer since March 1996

Since we all agree they are Snake Oil salesmen, I guess the jokes on us.

SO Clean stands for Snake Oil
07-28-2016 04:31 AM
jconrod Offline

New Members

Machine: Resmed Autoset S9
Mask Make & Model: Philips DreamWear
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 8-20

Other Comments:

Unfortunately, I purchased the SoClean before reading this thread, so I already own it. I received it today and am considering returning it. However, reading this thread, I decided to do some research to see if I wanted to return it. Here's what I've found from basic online research on ozone and how it relates to our CPAP machines:

1. Ozone is proven to be an effective sanitizer in high concentrations
2. The reports everyone is pointing to are reports on ozone air purification, saying that the air in the ROOM would have to be at dangerously high concentrations to be effective, which they are not
3. It makes sense that the ozone in the SoClean chamber can be high concentrations.
4. Ozone is toxic at high levels but breaks down quickly back to normal oxygen (which is why they have you keep the chamber closed for 2 hours after the treatment)
5. As a restaurant manager, I know that washing dishes have 2 stages: Physically cleaning the dishes (all the dirt, grime, food, etc), and then sanitizing to kill the germs
If you are not thorough at cleaning CPAP well every day, I can see how bacteria can grow, as they like dark moist environments. For this reason, I can see how using this machine daily can be effective at keeping the machine sanitary. I think I will keep the machine. I will report back and let you know how it goes, but I plan on using a wipe on the nasal pillows daily to keep oil and grime from building up on the outside (skin contact) area, and probably washing the rest of the equipment every week or two. I don't really believe this device is necessary, but more of a convenience, but I also don't believe at all that it's a scam for the reasons listed above. I hope this is helpful for those of you trying to make a decision!
10-19-2016 10:11 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
EnigmaGrey Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Respironics DSX500T11
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Nuance Gel
Humidifier: DSXH
CPAP Pressure: 6-16

Other Comments:

What's the effective PPM for ozone to be an effective sanitizer? Half-assed googling suggests between 0.5-2.0 PPM in water, but I assume the machine also totes it's production of gaseous ozone? Or does it simply recirculate water between the humidifier tank and the SoClean?

From SoClean's website, it suggests the machine only delivers 10 ppm

[commercial link removed, instead, do a Google search for "concentration ozone inside soclean"]

Another alternative to using the SoClean would be mechanical filters for bacteria/viruses, as recommended by Philips when sharing/renting the machine outside a hospital setting.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2016 10:57 PM by EnigmaGrey.)
10-19-2016 10:53 PM
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

(10-19-2016 10:11 PM)jconrod Wrote:  If you are not thorough at cleaning CPAP well every day, I can see how bacteria can grow, as they like dark moist environments.

But there's no evidence that that can cause any harm, either. Many of us go a week or two without washing the hose. Some much longer.

I wash my mask cushion daily but that's to remove face oils that interfere with a good seal and has little to do with bacteria issues. I also rinse out the water chamber daily and let it dry to avoid mold and bacteria growth.

There's no evidence that ozone offers any advantages. And as long as you don't use it as a substitute for cleaning, there's no evidence that its use is harmful, either. It's your money. Spend it as you wish.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-20-2016 03:42 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Although ozone might be harmful to the plastic parts. As Sleepster says ozone sanitizes but it does not *clean*. Some of us go a year or two without washing the hose.
10-20-2016 05:35 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Cleaning Dream wear mask Judy1843 3 186 12-02-2016 07:13 PM
Last Post: cate1898
  PR System One: C-Check vs Auto? Ailu 8 3,013 11-29-2016 02:04 PM
Last Post: TonyJ
  Cleaning Climate-control tube on ResMed Air Sense 10 GL Bishop 18 11,285 11-07-2016 03:31 PM
Last Post: Jonesie
  Water in hose after cleaning... JustMac 3 366 10-30-2016 06:51 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Philips system one noisy jpsantell 2 266 10-29-2016 10:54 AM
Last Post: robysue
  SoClean CPAP cleaning gizmo FormerFed 10 1,126 10-05-2016 03:37 AM
Last Post: archangle
  Question about cleaning/drying air tube RB73 16 1,073 09-25-2016 02:46 PM
Last Post: hegel