Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP cleaning system
CPAP cleaning system
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a CPAP cleaning machine.

There's a machine called the SleepGo? for $200 that uses ozone. And I see a number of liquid sprays around.

Does this ozone "activated oxygen" method really work well? What is the most complete way to easily clean a CPAP system? I wonder what the pros use...

I don't mind spending up to $350 for a quality unit that will last and do the job right.

T
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP cleaning system
Hi again Tommy C, I've seen that type of cleaning system and they sound interesting. I have thought about looking into one of them because I know ozone does kill bacteria. But as of now I just soak my hose, the pillows and tube to my mask, the humidifier tub once a week and about every couple weeks or so, I soak the gasket that lines the lid of the humidifier in warm water with a smigen of dishsoap or if that is too harsh, you can use baby shampoo. Sometimes, I take a small brush, (such as a toothbrush, a clean one, of course, Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha,) and rub the holes in the port of my mask to make sure nothing is blocking them.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Tommy C, you made an interesting statement, you said you want to use what the pros use. Just as a thought, supplier number 2 (Secondwind) sells used CPAP equipment. They use something to sanitize the machines before they resell them. Maybe dropping them an email would help give you an idea. Mark is a really helpful guy and I'd bet he would be willing to discuss this with you. Just a thought!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
Almost every other "ozone cleaning" gadget you see is a scam. If the ozone concentration is high enough to kill germs, it's high enough to damage plastic and other parts. Germs are tough little critters.

This one might be the exception, but to me, it sounds like the same old stuff.

There is some commercial usage of ozone sterilization equipment, but it's special things like water treatment in containers known to be ozone safe, or sterilizing special pieces of equipment known to be ozone safe.

Here's the EPA position on ozone air cleaners. I know the device in question is not this particular type of device, but there is useful information here:

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you go to the Resmed page, they have links to the professionals ways of sanitizing machines where they use them for multiple clients.

I have read a LOT of stuff over the past six weeks and know it is there, but can't find it again - I just stumbled on it whilst researching.

If you continue having a problem, let me know and Ill see if I can stumble on it again.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2012, 05:25 AM)SleepyGreg Wrote: If you go to the Resmed page, they have links to the professionals ways of sanitizing machines where they use them for multiple clients.

I have read a LOT of stuff over the past six weeks and know it is there, but can't find it again - I just stumbled on it whilst researching.

If you continue having a problem, let me know and Ill see if I can stumble on it again.

The ResMed process is to clean the water tank, hose, and mask with chemicals or water at a controlled temperature. The machines just get wiped on the outside. They may recommend new filters.

There is no procedure to clean the inside of the machine.

There are delicate humidity and airflow sensors that might react badly to any kind of chemical in the airstream. I wouldn't even do the "aromatherapy" stuff in the air inlets, myself. Anything strong enough to kill germs is likely to damage the machine.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2012, 05:25 AM)SleepyGreg Wrote: If you go to the Resmed page, they have links to the professionals ways of sanitizing machines where they use them for multiple clients.
There are disinfection and sterilization guides for masks and S9 humidifier (the 3 piece tank shown in the guide) for multipatient use
http://www.resmed.com/assets/documents/s...lo_eng.pdf
http://www.resmed.com/assets/documents/s...er_eng.pdf

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2012, 08:33 PM)Tommy C Wrote: I don't mind spending up to $350 for a quality unit that will last and do the job right.

Save your money and buy a 15-dollar hose brush.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the cleaning links and suggestions.

I received a response from Mark at SecondWind. He said they do not use the activated oxygen process anymore.

He did provide this link showing a study that is positive about using the ozone cleaning process:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16023258

I am almost ready to buy this "SoClean" unit for $199:
http://www.betterrestsolutions.com/SoClean_ep_42.html

After reading a lot about the ozone process on the web, it appears to be an outstanding way to clean a CPAP system.

But why is there hesitation to use it by some, including ResMed? Will the O2 process harm the S9 delicate sensors as suggested with chemicals?

O2 treatment (actually O3) seems SO much easier than tearing down and washing each time.

TommY C
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2012, 04:05 PM)Tommy C Wrote: But why is there hesitation to use it by some, including ResMed?

Because it doesn't really do anything! So, let's say you thoroughly clean a machine and disinfect it. Use it once, or just leave it alone in a bedroom, and it'll pick up a bunch of bacteria. What are you gonna do, clean it continuously? Wake up in the middle of the night and clean it?

Washing with soap and water cleans away the crud and disinfects it. Anything more is overkill.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,623 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,403 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 226 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 384 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 301 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 172 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,798 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.