Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP cleaning system
RE: CPAP cleaning system
Dang! Research suggests that CPAP therapy makes folks mean!Big Grin

I'm a newb trying to establish good habits with my CPAP. Every day, I wake up, remove my mask, and wipe it with a CPAP wipe (I'd hate to see a thread about CPAP wipes Oh-jeez ).

I've been eyeing the ozone cleaner because it makes sense on its face--pumping a dry disinfecting stream through the breathing circuit logically would be a nice supplement to an already reasonable cleaning routine and a good way to evict bacterial squatters before they have a chance to colonize.

I also like the idea that I can wipe my mask off every day and get rid of the crusty crud that falls off my face all night, and I like the idea that even though I'm breathing my bedroom air all the time anyway, I can run it through a filter to remove particulates--or even a microfilter to remove allergens.

So in my mind, at least, it's a good idea on its face that bears more investigation, and is far removed from waving a rock over your machine and muttering incantations.

However, I am of a skeptical bent, and will be looking for solid research before I spend my $300 for a machine of unproven value. But, frankly, as I read this thread I was reminded of people of my own generation who scoff at bicycle helmets and child car seats because they never had any of those fancy safety gadgets and they survived childhood just fine.

/shrug

I hope someone builds a better mousetrap someday, because it looks like all the washing and drying and blowing and jury-rigged fans are going to be a real PITA.*

(Yes, as a matter of fact, I AM lazy. Thanks )

I appreciate the board, and am learning a great deal reading through the threads and getting introduced to the ins and outs of being a hosehead. I look forward to being a part of the community.

-----------------------

*What I'd really like is a way to pay a reasonable amount for supplies without dealing with corrupt and evil DME suppliers. But that's a different thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
All I can say is that I was dropped on my head when I was a baby. And my SoClean may not make my mask cleaner, but it sure as heck doesn't make it any dirtier.
I use it daily, and soap and water once weekly. Get one if you wanna, and if you don't wanna. . .don't.

Cheers,
otrpu
Love your family, treat your friend(s) well, and don't waste your time. Everything else is just so much BS. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-30-2015, 05:28 PM)drtrech Wrote: I've been eyeing the ozone cleaner because it makes sense on its face--pumping a dry disinfecting stream through the breathing circuit logically would be a nice supplement to an already reasonable cleaning routine and a good way to evict bacterial squatters before they have a chance to colonize.

As long as you are willing to pay that much money for "nice".

Just don't use it as a substitute for mechanical cleaning.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-30-2015, 05:28 PM)drtrech Wrote: Dang! Research suggests that CPAP therapy makes folks mean!Big Grin

Maybe it makes them gullible.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2012, 08:33 PM)Tommy C Wrote: Hi,

I'm looking to buy a CPAP cleaning machine.

There's a machine called the SleepGo? for $200 that uses ozone. And I see a number of liquid sprays around.

Does this ozone "activated oxygen" method really work well? What is the most complete way to easily clean a CPAP system? I wonder what the pros use...

I don't mind spending up to $350 for a quality unit that will last and do the job right.

T

Here it the EPA answer.

ozone does not remove particles (e.g., dust and pollen) from the air, including the particles
that cause most allergies. However, some ozone generators are manufactured with an "ion
generator" or "ionizer" in the same unit. An ionizer is a device that disperses negatively (and/or
positively) charged ions into the air. These ions attach to particles in the air giving them a
negative (or positive) charge so that the particles may attach to nearby surfaces such as walls or
furniture, or attach to one another and settle out of the air. In recent experiments, ionizers were
found to be less effective in removing particles of dust, tobacco smoke, pollen or fungal spores
than either high efficiency particle filters or electrostatic precipitators.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was looking at this So Clean Ozone cleaner thing. It's not hard to google and found out that Ozone does kill germs. However, here is something I found.
Is ozone harmful?
Ozone is a gas that can cause health problems, including respiratory tract irritation, breathing difficulty, asthma exacerbation, and chest pain. Ozone, or O3, is a molecule made from three oxygen atoms. The three oxygen atoms form an unstable toxic gas that is highly reactive with other gases in the air.
Well. I don't think I'll breath in these toxic gas left over all the time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Soclean is a scam because there's no research proving it "cleans" anything
Post Reply Post Reply
I would not call it a "scam" but also don't think that for the vast majority of people is it needed.

There used to be room air cleaners that used "ions" and most of these, if not all, have been replaced by ion neutral machines and put positive and negative ions in the air within the machine so the air exiting the machine is neutral air again.

O2 is reactive, this is why we need it, but too much is a bad as too little. O3 is very reactive, this is why it kills bacteria, it will also kill cells that it hits-this is not good to breathe. The little so clean machine does not put out a lot of ions, but it does put them out. O3 does not last long and gets destroyed by anything it hits. A little for a while in a room dissipates quickly.

Now for CPAP use (not really cleaning"): this is a big IF, IF you have an immune problem, questionable well water, don't maintain your CPAP system by cleaning it, perhaps have pets in the house (bacteria source) then you may benefit from it. Most don't need it.

As for allergies it will not do much if anything, the room is filled with pollen and allergens, taking them out of the CPAP and then blowing contaminated air right back in during use is futile. Use the better intake filter or get a room air filter that is sized for your room does work.

If you use so clean and like it then fine, if you are considering it make sure you understand what you are trying to do. Just "clean" the machine, not gonna work for that. Don't want to clean your equipment and/or swap out tube, mask, chamber well then it might be better than just not doing anything.
Post Reply Post Reply
As has been pointed out, the danger of the So-Clean system is that someone might think it's a substitute for cleaning with soap and water. It isn't. On the other hand, it's not harmful to anything other than your wallet.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Which makes it a scam.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,963 359,204 04-12-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Cleaning F20/F30 QuietAir Elbow 70sSanO 13 5,774 04-12-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Magoo905
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 154 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  Resmed Heating System Errors btreger 0 109 04-05-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Inspire system JThammer 15 381 04-04-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
  Airsense 11. Heating system error Jskier 6 7,008 03-30-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Ron LI
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,890 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.