Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP cleaning system
RE: CPAP cleaning system
(08-07-2012, 03:59 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(08-06-2012, 08:33 PM)Tommy C Wrote: I don't mind spending up to $350 for a quality unit that will last and do the job right.

Save your money and buy a 15-dollar hose brush.

there are other considerations

the cleaning the manual says takes more than a hose brush
and it takes too much time and effort

many of us need a simple easy way to do the cleaning or we wont do it at all 

in my case i have to move the bed to get to table with the machine hose etc which is right next to the bed so i can reach it to turn it on/off etc
that is a major effort on top of movign the machine and accessories out to the kitchen where i can work on it to clean it
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2017, 01:17 PM)xxyzx Wrote: many of us need a simple easy way to do the cleaning or we wont do it at all 

in my case i have to move the bed to get to table with the machine hose etc which is right next to the bed so i can reach it to turn it on/off etc
that is a major effort on top of movign the machine and accessories out to the kitchen where i can work on it to clean it

So to provide an easy way to clean you suggest spending $300 on a machine that doesn't clean?

If you need to move your bed just to turn the machine on and off why not just pull out the reservoir, mask, and hose at that time to clean them as required? Why take the complete machine to the kitchen?
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2017, 02:39 PM)Melman Wrote:
(04-29-2017, 01:17 PM)xxyzx Wrote: many of us need a simple easy way to do the cleaning or we wont do it at all 

So to provide an easy way to clean you suggest spending $300 on a machine that doesn't clean?

If you need to move your bed just to turn the machine on and off why not just pull out the reservoir, mask, and hose at that time to clean them as required? Why take the complete machine to the kitchen?

Exactly...
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2016, 03:42 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(10-19-2016, 10:11 PM)jconrod Wrote: If you are not thorough at cleaning CPAP well every day, I can see how bacteria can grow, as they like dark moist environments.

...But there's no evidence that that can cause any harm, either. Many of us go a week or two without washing the hose. Some much longer....

I am a BAAAaaaad Boy!  i go a loooooong time without cleaning.  I do have those CPAP "BabyWipes" and will clean things out once in a while, when I remember.  Don't remember the last time I threw everything into the kitchen sink with hot water and dish soap...
Post Reply Post Reply
I wouldn't necessarily recommend the kitchen sink or bathroom sink for that matter. Depending on how often you clean those (or even if they are cleaned relatively often) there can be all manner of nasties hanging out in there.

Personally I use a dedicated pail.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think a dedicated pail is fine but why would you worry about washing your CPAP equipment in the sink you wash your dishes in or the one you use for washing your face.? What nasties are you worried about? As a microbiologist, I can assure you they are the normal flora from the bodies of you and your family members and your home environment. The vast majority of bacteria are not harmful.  When you run water to fill the sink, an aerosol is created containing bacteria from the water and sink and you breath it.

They will grow on the moist surfaces of your dedicated bucket also.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-12-2017, 02:35 PM)Melman Wrote: I think a dedicated pail is fine but why would you worry about washing your CPAP equipment in the sink you wash your dishes in or the one you use for washing your face.? What nasties are you worried about? As a microbiologist, I can assure you they are the normal flora from the bodies of you and your family members and your home environment. The vast majority of bacteria are not harmful.  When you run water to fill the sink, an aerosol is created containing bacteria from the water and sink and you breath it.

They will grow on the moist surfaces of your dedicated bucket also.

I respect your opinion on this more than most, Melman!  But my concern would be mainly for those that don't clean their kitchen sink very often.  Kitchen sinks are often touted as having far more germs and bacteria on them than our toilet seats and even bathroom sinks (which I would be far less worried about.)  Raw chicken residue and other organic material that has not been cleaned for a long time come immediately to mind.  After all, everyone's idea of cleanliness is different.

They type of bacteria that would grow on a bucket that was used fairly often only to wash out my CPAP supplies and is allowed to dry out thoroughly before being used again would concern me far less than our kitchen sink...  Which we don't get to clean nearly often enough due to our busy lives and two small children. 

I'm not a germaphobe but I would prefer to lessen the odds of any infection occurring, even as remote as the chance likely is.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
hehehehe... I tend not to worry about how clean things are and using dedicated buckets.... reminds me of when I was at a street market "restaurant" in Tawain...  Jammed among the stainless steel folding table was a lady squatting in the corner of this 20x20 place with a few buckets washing the bowls and utensils.  Best sweet squid soup I ever had!  I had to laugh how all the staff wore rubber boots and the cook was shirtless!.

[Image: 18424026_10154490653313038_5808379810071...e=59BCCD4D]
[Image: 18447228_10154490653323038_8555564716305...e=5979A9FD]

[Image: 18446788_10154490653333038_3742848992503...e=59BE5972]
Post Reply Post Reply
Great pics!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-12-2017, 02:54 PM)rafairchild2 Wrote: hehehehe... I tend not to worry about how clean things are and using dedicated buckets.... reminds me of when I was at a street market "restaurant" in Tawain...  Jammed among the stainless steel folding table was a lady squatting in the corner of this 20x20 place with a few buckets washing the bowls and utensils.  Best sweet squid soup I ever had!  I had to laugh how all the staff wore rubber boots and the cook was shirtless!.
The pictures remind me of the place I had lunch in Guatemala and got Staphylococcal food poisoning.  It's the luck of the draw.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,603 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 351,995 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 217 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 367 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 296 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 168 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,788 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.