Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP cleaning system
RE: CPAP cleaning system
(08-07-2012, 10:40 PM)Tommy C Wrote: So it appears ozone cleaning is regarded in the over-the-top quack category here. Got it.

Just by some individuals who are taking a critical-thinking approach to the notion of cleanliness. And it's not just people here who are drawing conclusions based on available information. Lots of people are doing it.

If you are convinced that ozone cleaning is an appropriate thing for you to do, no one here or elsewhere is stopping you. You asked what we thought, and some of us responded.

Now you seem to feel the need to point out that we are all in some sort of category.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2012, 10:40 PM)Tommy C Wrote: So it appears ozone cleaning is regarded in the over-the-top quack category here. Got it.

T

Not at all. I personally think that we, as a society are obsessed with cleanliness. We have antibacterial this and that and different sanitizers to kill different bugs, it's just mind boggling if you imagined all those products and services in front of you. I think that all of these things combine to create "super-bugs" if you will. Follow along here, so years ago antibiotics were dispensed at the drop of a hat, or sniffle of a nose. As a result of over use and mis-use we have many things out there today that cannot be easily killed. In my opinion (and some will vehemently disagree) exposure to a low level of germs and bacteria is a good thing. I refuse to use those antibacterial wipes at the supermarket on the shopping cart. I didn't start shopping yesterday and I have lived over 50 years being exposed to other people so there must be some validity. Now I'm not saying to carry this over the top, of course we want an Operating Room and such to be decontaminated, of course certain things need to be sterile, and cleanliness is next to Godliness they say. I wash my CPAP equipment with warm soapy water and rinse it with warm clean water, then I allow it to air dry. I would not allow anyone else to use my equipment (I can't imagine anyone would!) and I store it cleanly and safely during the day. But the bottom line is that they are my germs and they got there from me. Unless I am ill, I see no reason to go overboard on the sterilization of my own germs.
Does that mean I disapprove of sterilization? No, but I feel that for me, on a daily basis it is unnecessary. If you want to buy whatever, go for it. I'm pretty sure no-one will laugh at you or bully you for your decision. We all need to do what we all need to do to make it through another day.
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Tommy C, Everyone is different so if you think it would serve you better by using ozone to clean your equipment, great. I don't think your ideas are quac and over the top if it would help you. If you do this, it will be interesting if you post your results as to how it goes for you .
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Izabela, thanks for stopping by and describing how the SloClean works. I realize it is a tough row to hoe with all the different ozone cleaning products out there and it makes credibility a challenge.

I'm just trying to figure out the best method to use. Sometimes we get in ruts and use the same techniques until someones asks the right questions.

Maybe "wave a rock over the CPAP equipment every night and say "GERMS BEGONE!!!!" is as good as an ozone machine, I dunno.

Moving on, Archangle posted a good link that included this quote by the EPA:

"If used at concentrations that do not exceed public health standards, ozone applied to indoor air does not effectively remove viruses, bacteria, mold, or other biological pollutants.

•Some data suggest that low levels of ozone may reduce airborne concentrations and inhibit the growth of some biological organisms while ozone is present, but ozone concentrations would have to be 5 - 10 times higher than public health standards allow before the ozone could decontaminate the air sufficiently to prevent survival and regeneration of the organisms once the ozone is removed (Dyas, et al.,1983; Foarde et al., 1997).

•Even at high concentrations, ozone may have no effect on biological contaminants embedded in porous material such as duct lining or ceiling tiles (Foarde et al, 1997). In other words, ozone produced by ozone generators may inhibit the growth of some biological agents while it is present, but it is unlikely to fully decontaminate the air unless concentrations are high enough to be a health concern if people are present. Even with high levels of ozone, contaminants embedded in porous material may not be affected at all."

[Maybe the SloClean unit uses a higher concentration inside that makes it more effective - more than could be tolerated in open room air environment]

Also, I received this comment today from a well known person in the CPAP industry:

"There is not enough solid [formal] evidence from the NIH or FDA, relative to activated oxygen/ozone, to show it has adequate sanitizing properties, unless coupled with vaporized hydrogen peroxide - a process that does not allow for a high volume of cleaning, over short time frames. not to mention the equipment runs $50K+."

So, we can make our own decision, but based on what I've learned so far, I plan to stick with soap and water and ordered a bottle of Control III today....Smile My S9 will be here maybe Friday, so getting excited!

Thanks again for the spirited discussion and information everyone.

Tom
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-08-2012, 01:38 PM)Sleepster Wrote:

Just by some individuals who are taking a critical-thinking approach to the notion of cleanliness. And it's not just people here who are drawing conclusions based on available information. Lots of people are doing it.

If you are convinced that ozone cleaning is an appropriate thing for you to do, no one here or elsewhere is stopping you. You asked what we thought, and some of us responded.

Now you seem to feel the need to point out that we are all in some sort of category.

Read the post again. Maybe I should have been clearer. I was responding in-kind to Archangle's back-to-back "WTF" comment and suggesting that I wave a rock over the CPAP machine to sanitize it. Nothing to do with anyone else. How would you respond?

I have no axe to grind or put anyone in a category. Just trying to give back and make my own small contribution to this fine group of people.

T
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
(08-08-2012, 05:27 PM)Tommy C Wrote: Also, I received this comment today from a well known person in the CPAP industry:

"There is not enough solid [formal] evidence from the NIH or FDA, relative to activated oxygen/ozone, to show it has adequate sanitizing properties, unless coupled with vaporized hydrogen peroxide - a process that does not allow for a high volume of cleaning, over short time frames. not to mention the equipment runs $50K+."

Hi Tommy,

Personally, I've never heard of the need to couple hydrogen peroxide with ozone to make it effective. I have a feeling, though, that the equipment which this person is referring to is possibly commercial grade sanitizing equipment ... since they mention a "high volume of cleaning" and a $50K price tag. :grin:

I think the bottom line here is that ozone at levels that are safe by public health standards, is ineffective. Just on that note, I would add that the ozone concentration in the secure chamber of the SoClean is definitely higher than what you would want to breathe; but that's why it is effective, and that's why the chamber has to be kept secure during the process.

I'm a new member here, so I don't think I'm allowed to post links yet. But if you'd like to take a look at one more study about the effectiveness of airborne ozone, I'd recommend you run a google search for: "Bactericidal Effects of High Airborne Ozone Concentrations on Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus." In this one particular study, with ozone alone, researchers were able to kill 99.9% of bacteria.

Anyway, I wish you all the best with your new Resmed S9. And if you ever have any more questions about the SoClean, you can always feel free to call up and speak with me. Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
I got one about a month ago. My respiratory therapist recommended it. O3 kills bacteria and viruses. You don't have to get your equipment all wet and wait for it to dry all day, so I like it. My doctor also says they're effective. I haven't gotten sick yet. I'll keep you posted.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2013, 07:42 PM)arlinee Wrote: I got one about a month ago. My respiratory therapist recommended it. O3 kills bacteria and viruses. You don't have to get your equipment all wet and wait for it to dry all day, so I like it. My doctor also says they're effective. I haven't gotten sick yet. I'll keep you posted.

O3 doesn't clean anything. It doesn't magically disintegrate "dirty" matter while leaving "clean" matter alone.

It may kill bacteria and viruses if it's concentrated enough. If it's too concentrated, it damages rubber and plastics.

Read what the EPA has to say about the risks of ozone. This is about room ozone air cleaners, but read what the science says.

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Why doesn't anyone sell UV sanitizers? Ultra-violet light kills germs too!
Oh yes, they cant remove dirt and grease either so that would mean you STILL have to CLEAN everything
with the scrubbing bubbles!

Now I gotta go. There is someone trying to sell me the Brooklyn Bridge again.

Smile

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
We do no use ozone to clean things at the hospital, and so far as I know, concentrations of O3 high enough to effectively clean a complete CPAP system would also damage the plastics and rubber, and would be difficult to contain. The best way to keep the CPAP clean is to turn off the humidifier, empty it, turn off the Auto Off and run the machine for twenty minutes to an hour . That should dry all components nicely and prevent growth. Every few months, wash the hose and hose assembly thoroughly, and of course your mask regularly, and change filters every month or so. That should, under most circumstance, be sufficient if you really use distilled water in your humidifier.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,963 359,255 04-12-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Cleaning F20/F30 QuietAir Elbow 70sSanO 13 5,776 04-12-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Magoo905
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 157 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  Resmed Heating System Errors btreger 0 113 04-05-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Inspire system JThammer 15 382 04-04-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
  Airsense 11. Heating system error Jskier 6 7,021 03-30-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Ron LI
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,892 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.