Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP cleaning system
RE: CPAP cleaning system
(07-23-2013, 12:27 PM)martinsr00 Wrote: I own a SoClean unit and it sure does do something. For starters, it removes all odors save an "after the rain" kind of smell that is left in the mask.

But soap and water does the same thing.

Quote:It's straightforward to tell if it has operated on any given day. Simply take a whiff.

And I can do the same thing with soap and water.

Look, if it works for you, do it. My point is that it doesn't do anything that justifies the cost. In my opinion. You have a different opinion and that's great.

If you can convince me that it does something that soap and water can't do -- and it's something that I deem worthy of the cost -- then I'll consider getting one, too.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I run a gun patch saturated with thymol through the hoses. (search wikipedia for Thymol)
That stuff kills most everything harmful and stuff it cant kill you'll need a shotgun for.

Time spent cleaning, five minutes.

Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I just had a look at the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for Thymol.

Quote:Inhalation: Causes respiratory tract irritation with possible chemical burns to the respiratory tract. Aspiration may lead to pulmonary edema. It may be absorbed into the blood stream and cause symptoms similar to that of ingestion. Ingestion: Causes gastrointestinal tract irritation with abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and possible burns. It may affect behavior/central nervous system/peripheral nervous system (somnolence, headache, weakness, fatigue, lethargy, nervousness, agitation, dizziness, talkativeness, convulsions, spastic paralysis, sleepiness, insomnia, ataxia, coma), respiration (dyspnea, respiratory stimulation,tachypnea), cardiovascular system (hypotension, dysrhythmias). It may cause kidney and liver damage, pallor, profuse sweating.

Really? Just a quick 5 minute wipe?
Post Reply Post Reply
I looked in to these ozone machines and figured that washing with soap and water works just fine, the one challenge is trying to get the hose and headgear to dry in time for bed. If I was going to spend the money, I would probably buy an equipment dryer like the Hurricane before spending it on a ozone generator that could cause more harm if the container leaks that's suppose to contain the ozone while it's being generated.

But hey, like it was mentioned in another thread, if it helps you sleep better; that's what matters.
Post Reply Post Reply
If all you are doing right before bedtime is cleaning you mask cushion, what works for me is to dry it with a towel, re-assemble the mask, then turn on the CPAP device and let it blow dry for 10 minutes or so.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-22-2013, 06:20 PM)Sleepster Wrote: There are many people who report going long stretches of time without cleaning and have no problems.

I don't like the odor, that's the reason I clean. Of course, if I have a cold or flu I know that regular cleaning can help prevent the virus from mutating and causing a relapse of symptoms.

Viruses can't grow or reproduce outside of another organism. They usually don't live very long outside of a body, even in a warm, moist environment.

However, bacteria and other germs may grow in the hose or mask if not cleaned.

Cleaning is a good thing.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2013, 10:49 AM)Paptillian Wrote: There's no sense fighting over it. If it helps someone sleep, then by all means they should use ozone.

If people promote something here and it doesn't actually work, some innocent person may use it and neglect proper cleaning with the associated health risks.

The risk of lost cash is important, too, even if not as important as the risk of improper cleaning.

Does product XYZ work? I don't know. Show me an independent, peer reviewed study. Or manufacturers recommendations.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Essential oils can burn out plastics like the hose etc. But do you really think that a solution of a 3 % hydrogen peroxide can damage the plastics?
Post Reply Post Reply
Given that 3% hydrogen peroxide is sold in plastic bottles, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you'll probably be OK.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2013, 03:49 AM)archangle Wrote: If people promote something here and it doesn't actually work, some innocent person may use it and neglect proper cleaning with the associated health risks.

I understand, but I see a difference between educating people and telling them not to use ozone.

I think we want people to understand that disinfection (of any kind) should be in addition to and not in place of washing, so that oils and other organics are removed and to support the effectiveness of the disinfection process.

I don't think that us promoting or discrediting the use of ozone is ever going to change that.

I do wish that the manufacturer of this device made it clear to potential buyers that it does not replace washing. The only mention of it that I found on their website is buried away in the FAQ:

Quote:12. Will the SoClean remove oil and skin from my mask?
Regular use of the SoClean will inhibit the build up of oil and skin. For complete removal of such materials, using the SoClean along with the mask manufacturer’s washing directions is recommended.

Actually, this ^ technically ends the debate.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,603 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,013 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 219 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 372 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 296 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,790 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.