Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP costs rant!
RE: CPAP costs rant!!!!!
(08-15-2019, 11:05 PM)Melman Wrote: One way to save is to ignore the ridiculous recommended replacement schedules. I've been using the same F20 mask and cushion for over 2.5 years.The silicone has yellowed a little but it seals as well as when new Still works fine. I replace hoses when they fail. I bought a new hose a year ago because I wanted a heated hose. I expect to get at least a couple of years use with it. Same for humidifiers. I replace them when they develop leaks. I keep one spare of everything on hand. The only thing I replace per the schedule is filters and they're dirt cheap.

^^^^^^ What he said!  Well-done

I even reuse the filters though. I'm not cheap, I'm just economically minded.  Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
I recently bought some spare cushions and a mask . I did a Google search looking at on line gear in Aus one or two stand out as being much cheaper than most. I ended up buying from Apnea Board recommenced US supplier but the prices only slightly cheaper that Aus prices. Not logical that we can buy Resmend gear from US cheaper that in Aus, Resmed gear is made in Sydney Aus.

Unfortunately for us as soon as a product has a health connection costs go sky high.  Have a look at an auto CPAP cost on Chinese sites ,under US$400. But then, quality? Support? and Functionality?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2019, 08:01 PM)wesozzzz Wrote: Have a look at an auto CPAP cost on Chinese sites ,under US$400. But then, quality? Support? and Functionality?

Actually, I bought a mask from a Chinese company and it's quite decent. See my review here: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...sk-Fealite

Another member bought and reviewed a CPAP machine from there: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...10-Autoset

These options are quite reasonably priced, especially for folks with limited or no insurance, or for other reasons who have to pay out of pocket. And the quality is surprisingly good. I think we have to get over immediately dismissing Made in China quality like we used to do in the 1970s for Made in Japan. Things have changed. And if Resmed and Philips keep their prices unjustifiably high, with the collusion of DMEs, they deserve a healthy dose of good old fashioned yankee competition, wherever it may come from.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP costs rant!
Headgear, cushions, & filters are the things I go through frequently. The headgear stretches out. The cushions stop sealing for me after a month. And my filters start stinking after a couple weeks.

When I have to buy out of pocket, I buy on Amazon because that's where I've found the best prices. (I hadn't thought of trying eBay.)
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2019, 03:25 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Which company are you talking about Holden? If there's a good one we should support it.

You can name names but don't post a link.

CPAP Depot - mainly for their accessories. PAP machines, while still a good deal compared to many other Aussie sites, is still considerably cheaper purchased from the US.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Holden. I see they have the CS Pacewave (Aircurve 10 ASV) for substantially cheaper than US prices. For those needing an ASV machine they are definitely worth a look. (Mine is >5 years old so I'm thinking it might be time for an update).
Post Reply Post Reply
When searching for deals on CPAP machines, be aware that some suppliers are selling ex-demo and/or refurbished machines and, while not actually saying they are 'new' machines, they don't emphasise the 'refurbished'. It pays to read the ads and descriptions very carefully.

That's not to say they're no good, just that you have to consider whether the saving is sufficient to justify buying a used (even if only lightly) or refurbished device. If the saving is significant, I would certainly consider a refurbished machine so long as it is backed by a worthwhile warranty.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another Aussie here and I've been saying the same things re Resmed and other manufacturers re pricing here in Oz.
I've been told that Resmed have a exclusion from the ACCC to allow price fixing here in Oz and like everyone else buy most of my needs from the US.
Both of my CPAP machines in fact were bought from the US and there is no GST on medical stuff imported either.
In fact I refuse to buy Resmed stuff at all on principle because of the price fixing.
A lot of the replaceable bits for my Dreamwear pillow mask are ridiculously priced , new pillow $50, new headgear (which is very poor quality IMO) $40 locally! you can buy the whole thing for less than $100 from overseas.
My wife has made me new headgear on her sewing machine out of stretchy 2mm thick neoprene material which works better than the genuine one.
Post Reply Post Reply
Expensive consumables indeed. What I do is shop from amazon due to their good pricing and great customer service. I thought of ebay, but the convenience of shopping at amazon where the final price covers everything (including door-to-door shipping and customs fees) at very competitive prices makes it an easy choice. I usually buy my cpap gear with other items saving farther on shipping charges.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-21-2019, 12:11 AM)ramphil2019 Wrote: Expensive consumables indeed. What I do is shop from amazon due to their good pricing and great customer service. I thought of ebay, but the convenience of shopping at amazon where the final price covers everything (including door-to-door shipping and customs fees) at very competitive prices makes it an easy choice. I usually buy my cpap gear with other items saving farther on shipping charges.

Once again, it's not so great for us Aussies. Amazon Australia has a pretty limited range and their prices (at least based on a quick look just now) are only fractionally better than elsewhere. The cheapest genuine Resmed headgear for my mask (well, actually not my mask but a similar model) is AUD60.

This is what happens in Oz. We celebrate too soon when so-called 'discounters' arrive in Australia (such as Amazon and Aldi supermarkets) only to find that they don't bother undercutting the outrageously-expensice incumbents but instead knock just a few percent off.  Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 299 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Rant about insurance, sleep study, and costs Stuff 8 1,144 06-20-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  Rant on Resmed N20's terrible design that causes TMJ issues CorruptAlligator 3 594 02-04-2023, 11:00 AM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
Gross [News] Sleep apnea is massively undertreated and costs billions in health problems JoeyWallaby 16 2,386 01-01-2020, 09:01 PM
Last Post: LeonardoDR
Gross [Equipment] Intro! + Rant! + Rage-quit my DME, what should I buy? argh 13 2,136 09-07-2019, 04:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  (Rant) Returning machine today DoubtFire61 19 2,926 03-10-2018, 12:41 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Another small rant. Terry 42 7,545 03-23-2017, 12:24 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.